News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest U.S. town with no state highway

Started by kphoger, November 28, 2018, 11:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

No state route, U.S. route, Interstate...  Only local or county roads for access.  I'm more interested in stand-alone towns than suburbs, but I'm fully aware people will suggest a suburb as an answer, and I won't try to fight it.

Near me, the town of Clearwater (KS) has no state route, with a population of 2481.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Numbered or state-maintained? If the former, Nantucket (10k).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on November 28, 2018, 11:04:40 AM
Numbered or state-maintained? If the former, Nantucket (10k).

Doesn't have to be numbered to count as a state highway.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

Thread from 3 years ago, with comments as recently as this past July.

A few commenters in that thread took the definition literally, ignoring that U.S. and Interstate routes are also technically "state routes" in that they're maintained by the states.  But enough took to the same definition as kphoger.

kphoger

Quote from: froggie on November 28, 2018, 11:39:54 AM

A few commenters in that thread took the definition literally, ignoring that U.S. and Interstate routes are also technically "state routes" in that they're maintained by the states.  But enough took to the same definition as kphoger.

Dang!  I searched for a similar topic with various wordings and came up short.  Thank you.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadsguy

Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 11:43:30 AM

Dang!  I searched for a similar topic with various wordings and came up short.  Thank you.

Funny enough, you yourself posted in it when it was made.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 28, 2018, 12:15:02 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 28, 2018, 11:43:30 AM

Funny enough, you yourself posted in it when it was made.

Yeah, I saw that.  It was long enough ago, I don't remember posting it.
Male pronouns, please.

Bruce

Repeating from my previous thread comment: Sammamish, Washington (51,229).

It had a state highway that was decommissioned prior to the city's incorporation. There's no interest in designating a new state route through the city, since there's really no need. Sammamish might annex an area along SR 202, though, and gain a short section.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.