News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rarest sign type in the USA

Started by RobbieL2415, November 28, 2018, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 07, 2018, 08:35:21 AM
What advantage would a red up arrow have over a standard red orb? I'm assuming that I'm just not clever enough to come up with one.

1. To make clear that it's not a right turn if it would be ambiguous, indicating that turn on red is not allowed.
2. Red up arrow, while the left and/or right arrows are something other than solid red.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jakeroot

What advantage would a red up arrow have over a standard red orb? I'm assuming that I'm just not clever enough to come up with one.

In states that utilize signal-per-lane strategies, hopefully it could lead to less lane use signs (i.e. R3-5 signs). I've always found that those cause a lot of clutter. Could still be used without dedicated turn lanes. Agencies would just have to be clever with how they designed the signal assemblies.

In states where turns on red arrows aren't permitted (not mine but I know it's a thing elsewhere), it would also further solidify when one must wait for the green light. Sometimes (such as on the last page), movements can appear to be right turns to drivers, when the local agencies consider them straight-ahead. Basically what 1 is saying.

Ultimately, it would not have the same advantages as turn signals with arrows, but if those are considered bright enough for drivers, I see no reason that all-arrow assemblies shouldn't be allowed for straight-ahead movements as well.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: crispy93 on December 03, 2018, 06:04:02 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 29, 2018, 04:25:53 PM
Quote from: formulanone on November 29, 2018, 04:20:12 PM
There's a few in the MUTCD range of R2-1 through R2-4a (Metric) - the metric speed limit is circled - which I've never seen photos of, just diagrams.

I've also never seen the R9-13 "No Skaters" sign.

What the heck is R5-5 supposed to be for?
I've never seen R9-1.

If you mean "walk on left facing traffic," there's one on NY 9N in Lake George with STATE LAW on top: https://goo.gl/maps/Zm3281gDtQn

In the hills above Woodinville, Washington they have a yellow diamond warning sign for this, which seems like overkill.  (Though it is near an elementary school.)

Pedestrain warning sign, Woodenville, WA by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

DaBigE

Less confusion of what lane the signal is for when a signal for a turn lane is nearby: https://goo.gl/maps/SzoADQcXznt. Although, in that example, I think someone ordered too many arrows and not enough orbs and didn't feel the need to correct it.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on December 08, 2018, 11:14:27 AM

Less confusion of what lane the signal is for when a signal for a turn lane is nearby: https://goo.gl/maps/SzoADQcXznt. Although, in that example, I think someone ordered too many arrows and not enough orbs and didn't feel the need to correct it.

Particularly with those older Wisconsin setups, which I've always really liked. I've proposed several signal designs that use Wisconsin style signals for the right side of the intersection, using all arrow displays:

TEG24601

Back on Rare Signs...

I'm going with anything Purple or Pink, % Grade signs, and Night Speed Limits.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

kphoger

Quote from: TEG24601 on December 08, 2018, 12:20:00 PM
Night Speed Limits.

I wonder how prevalent these are in Montana.  There are potentially a lot of them out there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.