News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Highway 1 through the lost coast

Started by texaskdog, January 19, 2019, 01:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Do you think they'll ever build it?

skluth

It would help if you could explain what the lost coast is. I'm sure many of you know where this is, but I've never heard of it.

TheStranger

Quote from: skluth on January 19, 2019, 02:11:13 PM
It would help if you could explain what the lost coast is. I'm sure many of you know where this is, but I've never heard of it.

The area in question is between Leggett and Fortuna.  That segment actually was removed from Route 1's definition in the 1980s:

https://www.cahighways.org/209-216.html#211
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on January 19, 2019, 02:13:19 PM

The area in question is between Leggett and Fortuna.  That segment actually was removed from Route 1's definition in the 1980s:

In that sense if it was ever built as things stand it would be part of CA 211.  To that end the terrain is way too unstable in the Lost Coast to build a viable state highway.  I would imagine what happened in Big Sur with all the slides on 1 would put more nails in the coffin of anything far flung Lost Coast wise. 

skluth

Thanks.

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2019, 02:22:09 PM

In that sense if it was ever built as things stand it would be part of CA 211.  To that end the terrain is way too unstable in the Lost Coast to build a viable state highway.  I would imagine what happened in Big Sur with all the slides on 1 would put more nails in the coffin of anything far flung Lost Coast wise.

I think a road through there would be amazing, but you're right with all the current slides on CA 1 not only near Big Sur but also by Malibu make keeping another coast road open pretty costly. It would be a better use of funds to complete making US 101 four lanes.

Roadgeekteen

There does not appear to be many people there. Do the roads currently meet the demand?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Definitely isn't a local demand that warrants a through road.  US 101 on the other hand does warrant being upgraded to four lanes completely north of San Francisco.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 20, 2019, 07:42:48 PM
Definitely isn't a local demand that warrants a through road.  US 101 on the other hand does warrant being upgraded to four lanes completely north of San Francisco.
My fantasy has I-1 go up there but there is no need for that other than looking good.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 20, 2019, 07:55:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 20, 2019, 07:42:48 PM
My fantasy has I-1 go up there but there is no need for that other than looking good.

Really the terrain is far from condusive for building anything but a road that hugs the terrain.  Big Sur and the Lost Coast alone would require massive excavation of mountains that are at times thousands of feet high.  The terrain of Santa Lucia Range is essentially compacted mud which is why both regions are so slide prone, especially during rainy winters. 

sparker

Back when the Lost Coast extension of CA 1 was projected back in 1959, much of the impetus from that came from logging interests looking for a more efficient way of hauling redwood out to the mills along US 101 for all those pretty decks homebuyers wanted back in that era's housing boom.  Since that's long passed, and most of the mills are out of operation, there is little call and even less need for such a road.  Occasionally there have been proposals for a southward extension of CA 211 from Ferndale (principally as a recreational route), following forest roads and eventually cutting back to US 101 near Garberville; but Max's description of the area as a huge mudpatch (resulting in extensive road closures during rainy periods) is pretty accurate; the cost of grading and ballasting would be out of line for the likely traffic levels for such a highway.  Also, the chances of satisfying current environmental requirements would be slight; the overall chances for any through route extending through the area west of US 101 are negligible.   

Max Rockatansky

Worked up a Paper Highways on the Lost Coast...

In this edition of Paper Highways we look at the incomplete segment of California State Route 1 in the Lost Coast Region.  The Lost Coast region is a sparsely inhabited area of the Northern California Coast in Mendocino County and Humboldt County.  State Highway interests in the Lost Coast region came in 1933 via an extension of Legislative Route 56.  Early Division of Highways Maps feature an existing through route in the Lost Coast Region which appears to have been a possibly early plotted route for CA 1 in the area.  No rough alignment for CA 1 in the Lost Coast Region appears on any State Highway Map until 1953.  By when a spur route of Legislative Route 56 was adopted from Westport-Leggett in 1951.  The Westport-Leggett Spur of Legislative Route 56 was officially turned over to the Division of Highways during July 1957 and was signed as CA 1.  During the 1957 State Highway Renumbering the Westport-Leggett Spur was reassigned as the unsigned CA 208.  CA 208 officially became part of CA 1 during 1984 and the unbuilt Lost Coast Highway was transferred to CA 211 (ii).  The Lost Coast region portion of CA 1/CA 211 has never been officially cancelled as it still appears on the 2005 Caltrans Map. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/05/paper-highways-california-state-route-1.html

nexus73

For those who drive the northern section of what barely resembles a highway, you will be rewarded with spectacular views.  At one point, the altitude is so high to make it so the sky and ocean blend together on a clear day.  A gorgeous black sand beach will be seen south of that view.  Cutting inland offers a lot of redwoods.

The real surprise is seeing so many cattle up there.  It must be a real bear of a trip to deal with regularly as the road is so bumpy that it will beat you to pieces. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

texaskdog

I was curious whether it was easily driveable just for sightseeing.  Sounds like it is not. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on May 18, 2020, 11:24:51 PM
Reason it wasn't explained was it looks like they moved my post from another forum.  I was curious whether it was easily driveable just for sightseeing.  Sounds like it is not.

Mattole Road isn't anything too crazy.  South of there I'm to understand it is mostly logging level road quality or high clearance 4WD. 

texaskdog

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on May 19, 2020, 08:59:38 AM
Max you need to travel to this one.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkyone_Wilderness_State_Park

Got it on my radar if I can't really leave the state this.  I have some family up in Eureka that would be perfectly positioned as a staging area for a Lost Coast visit. 

nexus73

Eureka has a number of gorgeous Victorian houses.  A new In-N-Out has been built there but opening was delayed due to the pandemic. It is a city my best friend and I love to stay overnight in. Nice to have family there who can host you if you can make it up to the area behind the "Redwood Curtain" as the locals call it. 

Want to get stuffed with a genuine homestyle meal?  Be sure to eat at the Samoa Cookhouse.  It is all you can eat and you will love finding out what your limit is!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kkt

Also a nice grocery co-op.  Good to have food options that aren't Walmart.

ari-s-drives

There's a great Mexican restaurant in Fortuna that my cross country coach would take us to after HSU running camp.

nexus73

Quote from: kkt on May 23, 2020, 02:14:54 PM

If you are writing about the one I am thinking about, they have an excellent deli section! 

Rick

kkt

Quote from: nexus73 on May 23, 2020, 06:06:18 PM

If you are writing about the one I am thinking about, they have an excellent deli section! 

Rick

Yes, I'm sure that's the one!  I've been there at lunchtime a few times.  Seattle to S.F. Bay Area or Fort Bragg means spending the night around Medford or Grant's Pass, so lunch in Eureka.  To go and then eat at a beach.

nexus73

Quote from: kkt on May 24, 2020, 04:38:57 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on May 23, 2020, 06:06:18 PM

Rick

Yes, I'm sure that's the one!  I've been there at lunchtime a few times.  Seattle to S.F. Bay Area or Fort Bragg means spending the night around Medford or Grant's Pass, so lunch in Eureka.  To go and then eat at a beach.

Just do not forget the Samoa Cookhouse for genuine homestyle meals that are all you can eat!  One time for dessert, I ordered up a bowl of their scalloped potatoes since they were so good. 

On the south end of town where the mall is, you will find Sansei and Chinese Gourmet, which is a small chain that sets up in malls scattered around the nation.  Considering their locations, the food is actually decent, plentiful and reasonably priced. 

For a nice tour of a mostly unseen area, check out the entire peninsula from Arcata south.  There is quite the village on the other side as well as the ability to get those ocean views in.  Check out the WW2 buildings while you are there. 

There is plenty to see and do in the Eureka-Arcata area, then add in the surrounding smaller cities and countryside.  It is a favorite place of mine to visit.

Rick

Max Rockatansky

I forget which thread it was mentioned in but I was able to confirm that there are several (counted four) new CA 211 shields posted just outside Ferndale.  I confirmed their presence yesterday in person, pictures to come of the southbound CA 211 shield. 

Max Rockatansky

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.