News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Seattle Tunnel entrance using ramp metering?

Started by Amtrakprod, February 05, 2019, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

I just noticed this King 5 clip with a ramp metering sign right above the tunnel entrance, thoughts? Start video at 56
https://youtu.be/VkhSU6PFFhI?t=56
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

ErmineNotyours

Northbound, the tunnel has two entrances: the mainline, and this entrance ramp.  It's just the entrance ramp that is metered.  I didn't realize this when I rode a bus through it, twice!  I should have been looking for an in-tunnel ramp merge.  I hopefully won't miss it when I finally drive the thing and I'm facing forwards.

(Jakeroot pointed out that the lights do not have backplates.  They don't need them here for sun blockage, but they could use them to look more authoritative.)

ErmineNotyours

I noticed the north end of the tunnel had an optimistic "2015" date stamped on it.  It looks like the same date is stamped on the entrance here.

New SR-99 Tunnel entrance ramp by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

jakeroot

Drove it today.

Can confirm that none of the ramps or mainline entrances have meters, except the northbound on-ramp from Colorado Ave S.

The 6th Ave N on-ramp is extremely short, plus it's near many streets with RIRO connections to 99; wouldn't have been worth it to design it for meters, I'm thinking.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on February 05, 2019, 10:36:12 PM
Drove it today.

Can confirm that none of the ramps or mainline entrances have meters, except the northbound on-ramp from Colorado Ave S.

The 6th Ave N on-ramp is extremely short, plus it's near many streets with RIRO connections to 99; wouldn't have been worth it to design it for meters, I'm thinking.
How was the new tunnel?

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on February 06, 2019, 06:59:54 AM
Drove it today.

How was the new tunnel?

I thought it was great. The concrete was slightly bumpier than I expected, but overall, I I think it's wonderful. Traffic levels today were more normal than Monday and Tuesday, due to snow. As a result there was a pretty significant northbound back-up today. I assume this is partially related to the lack of a northbound off ramp at Dearborn.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on February 06, 2019, 08:46:30 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on February 06, 2019, 06:59:54 AM
Drove it today.

How was the new tunnel?

I thought it was great. The concrete was slightly bumpier than I expected, but overall, I I think it's wonderful. Traffic levels today were more normal than Monday and Tuesday, due to snow. As a result there was a pretty significant northbound back-up today. I assume this is partially related to the lack of a northbound off ramp at Dearborn.

I'd love to see what message appears when the Ramp Metering is on

Bruce

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Bruce on February 06, 2019, 10:56:06 PM
Even with today's traffic jam, the message and meters weren't active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXM4UzDOwfw
The place you entered doesn't use Ramp Metering

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.