News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on January 02, 2018, 11:36:53 AM
Now that we're 7½ years into this thread, I wonder:  What states has the FYA not made it to?

New Jersey doesn't have them yet.  I haven't seen anything that indicates they are even hinting at installing one.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 02, 2018, 11:36:53 AM
Now that we're 7½ years into this thread, I wonder:  What states has the FYA not made it to?

Maryland, for one. Although I'm not sure that counts, since they use flashing red arrows instead.

I seem to recall that Pennsylvania was one of the last holdouts, but they've slowly started to pop up there.

I'm 99% sure that Caltrans has not yet installed an FYA on a state highway, but local agencies have started using them (on a very limited basis), so California wouldn't count.

So I guess New Jersey might be the only one left.

SignBridge

And within NYSDOT Region-10, the Nassau County DPW which maintains about  1500 signals in this suburban metropolis on hundreds of miles of county roads has yet to install their first FYA unless anyone knows different; please correct me.

Does anyone know if Suffolk County DPW has installed any on their roads as of yet?

Mccojm

Quote from: SignBridge on January 02, 2018, 08:19:06 PM
And within NYSDOT Region-10, the Nassau County DPW which maintains about  1500 signals in this suburban metropolis on hundreds of miles of county roads has yet to install their first FYA unless anyone knows different; please correct me.

Does anyone know if Suffolk County DPW has installed any on their roads as of yet?

Have not seen any in Suffolk roads.  My understanding from Suffolk website is that the county does not maintain any signals, it's all on the towns/ villages or state in Suffolk. I do know Suffolk co still has some bi-modular green/ yellow arrow heads which I thought have been disallowed due to colorblind can't distinguish which color is lit in same head
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

jeffandnicole

I don't think Delaware has them yet either...if they do, they're in Southern Delaware. Of course, Delaware, like Maryland, has flashing red arrows.

SignBridge

Mccojm, those bi-mode green/yellow arrows you mentioned are still permitted as far as I know. New Jersey uses them extensively. I don't approve of them either, partly for the reason you mentioned.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on January 02, 2018, 10:32:52 PM
Mccojm, those bi-mode green/yellow arrows you mentioned are still permitted as far as I know. New Jersey uses them extensively. I don't approve of them either, partly for the reason you mentioned.

Very common out here in Washington as well. FYAs have mostly replaced them for left turns, but right turn filter signals still often utilise bi-modal arrows.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on January 02, 2018, 10:32:52 PM

Colorblind people don't seem to take issue with them. Nor is there any reason to believe there are many accidents caused by them.

MASTERNC

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2018, 10:30:52 PM
I don't think Delaware has them yet either...if they do, they're in Southern Delaware. Of course, Delaware, like Maryland, has flashing red arrows.

Delaware does not, officially.  However, there is one "flashing yellow arrow" in Wilmington more as a caution beacon on a free flowing right turn that has a pedestrian crossing.

SignBridge

New York City also uses them as crosswalk and bike-lane protection.

jakeroot

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 03, 2018, 08:35:49 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2018, 10:30:52 PM

Delaware does not, officially.  However, there is one "flashing yellow arrow" in Wilmington more as a caution beacon on a free flowing right turn that has a pedestrian crossing.

Hmm. Not sure that counts as it pertains to the discussion here (I think at least three signal faces are required for it to fit this thread's requirements). There's a similar beacon used here on I-705 in Tacoma, WA: https://goo.gl/Ar43Ab

It does surprise me that Delaware hasn't jumped on the FYA train, yet. From an outsider's perspective, Delaware always seemed to be pretty good with signing and signals; it genuinely surprises me that they haven't experimented with them.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: Mccojm on January 02, 2018, 10:25:05 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on January 02, 2018, 08:19:06 PM

Have not seen any in Suffolk roads.  My understanding from Suffolk website is that the county does not maintain any signals, it's all on the towns/ villages or state in Suffolk. I do know Suffolk co still has some bi-modular green/ yellow arrow heads which I thought have been disallowed due to colorblind can't distinguish which color is lit in same head

At one point there was a town of Brookhaven installation a few years ago where they installed a 3 head bimodal FYA (bottom green/flashing yellow). Ot was shortly replaced with a regular bimodal doghouse setup.

I believe Suffolk County does maintain the setups on county maintained roads, except for most intersections with state roads. They dont maintain lights on town or village roads.

The county and moreso towns are still actively installing bimodal arrows. I dont think Nassau or NYCDOT install any new bimodal setups.

On the topic of NYSDOT FYA, the new one at NY111 and Motor Parkway only has an FYA for eastbound traffic on Motor Parkway. Westbound traffic has no left turn signal at all. This setup can potentially cause yellow trap.

UCFKnights

I am also curious how many areas are fully converted over to FYA or really close to that?

I know Alachua County, Florida seems to have converted at least 95% of PPLTs to them already, seemingly only leaving the old signals or structures that look like they wouldn't support an extra head or are scheduled for replacement (either through redesign of the intersection/road or just of the structure). Any area 100% converted?

roadfro

Quote from: UCFKnights on January 07, 2018, 01:08:03 PM
I am also curious how many areas are fully converted over to FYA or really close to that?

No major urban area in Nevada, to my knowledge, is 100% converted to FYA.

Considering the major municipalities, Reno might be fully converted (I can't think of a doghouse within Reno limits) and Carson City is probably close, but I don't think either area has a whole lot of PPLT intersections. The Vegas area municipalities likely aren't close, although most of the agencies have done some conversions and FYA has been installed for all new PPLT situations since about 2011 or so.

Scanning a few of the smaller towns on Street View: Elko was mostly converted as of 2015; Winnemucca has a few along US 95, and those were converted by 2015; Fallon still has several doghouses along US 50 and hasn't converted anything as of 2016; Ely has one or two that might have converted by now. Most other smaller cities/towns with traffic signals don't use PPLT.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

In Washington...

Federal Way has completely converted to FYA (many which were previously protected-only).

Bellevue has no remaining 4-/5-section PPLT signals, as far as I know. Neighboring municipalities still have a few.

Lakewood converted the last of their 5-section doghouse signals to FYA in about a week's span a few years back.

Seattle is mostly FYA, but has a few yield-on-green PPLT signals remaining.

US 89

Quote from: roadfro on January 07, 2018, 03:16:24 PM

No major urban area in Nevada, to my knowledge, is 100% converted to FYA.

Considering the major municipalities, Reno might be fully converted (I can't think of a doghouse within Reno limits) and Carson City is probably close, but I don't think either area has a whole lot of PPLT intersections. The Vegas area municipalities likely aren't close, although most of the agencies have done some conversions and FYA has been installed for all new PPLT situations since about 2011 or so.

Scanning a few of the smaller towns on Street View: Elko was mostly converted as of 2015; Winnemucca has a few along US 95, and those were converted by 2015; Fallon still has several doghouses along US 50 and hasn't converted anything as of 2016; Ely has one or two that might have converted by now. Most other smaller cities/towns with traffic signals don't use PPLT.

Utah seems to be taking this conversion a lot slower than Nevada. Most of Utah seems to fall into the exact same boat as the Vegas area, but some cities have been very slow to switch (if at all), and UDOT still occasionally installs new left turn doghouses, mostly at intersections which previously had doghouses or when the existing mast arms are too short to allow for a new FYA. At most/all completely new signals, FYA is almost always used.

RestrictOnTheHanger

One of the few (if only) FYA left turn signals in NYC that functions as a true protected/permissive signal.

The signal on the mast arm has a modified doghouse setup for what is probably a clearance issue

320 E 57th St

https://goo.gl/maps/D347hTc4uG32

jakeroot

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on January 22, 2018, 11:37:55 PM
One of the few (if only) FYA left turn signals in NYC that functions as a true protected/permissive signal.

The signal on the mast arm has a modified doghouse setup for what is probably a clearance issue

320 E 57th St

A double left too! I don't believe FYAs are allowed where the second left turn is an option lane, but I've seen Seattle use them for this purpose before: https://goo.gl/85DcUs

Looks like it was a protected left before?

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: jakeroot on January 23, 2018, 01:01:51 AM
Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on January 22, 2018, 11:37:55 PM

320 E 57th St

A double left too! I don't believe FYAs are allowed where the second left turn is an option lane, but I've seen Seattle use them for this purpose before: https://goo.gl/85DcUs

Looks like it was a protected left before?

It was a protected left up until last year. The majority of traffic here turns left ontp the bridge and the protected left caused traffic backups.

Revive 755

There's probably a few areas in the Peoria IDOT District getting close. 

On the Missouri side of the St. Louis area the state routes are getting close to fully converted.  The local signals though are not being upgraded as fast.

Amtrakprod

Massachusetts is in the middle of a project to install flashing yellow arrows, two will go up in my town. The near town of Lexington MA has gotten many already and now is installing their own with new installations.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Mark68

Parker, Colorado still loves doghouses. I've not seen any FYAs yet.

Most surrounding areas are using FYAs in new installations, but older installations with doghouses are not being changed out...at least not very quickly.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

jakeroot

Quote from: Mark68 on October 04, 2018, 12:50:01 PM
Parker, Colorado still loves doghouses. I've not seen any FYAs yet.

Most surrounding areas are using FYAs in new installations, but older installations with doghouses are not being changed out...at least not very quickly.

The way most agencies use FYAs (lead/lead), there's hardly any difference in operation between the two. When you start getting into lead/lag operation, that's where you see the advantage (and when cities seriously need to consider the FYA).

plain

I was floating around on the 'net and came across this...

It looks like it's from the early 1970's. This is on Broad St (US 250) in Richmond. Has anyone else seen a signal like this? Maybe it was a prototype or something.

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

corco

I know Alachua County, Florida seems to have converted at least 95% of PPLTs to them already, seemingly only leaving the old signals or structures that look like they wouldn't support an extra head or are scheduled for replacement (either through redesign of the intersection/road or just of the structure). Any area 100% converted?

Ada County, Idaho (Boise) has substantially finished converting. There might be a couple doghouses left but I have no idea where they are. It's definitely more than 95%. One of the elected officials here exclusively ran on a pro-FYA platform and has successfully pushed hard for a rapid conversion

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.