AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maryland  (Read 353821 times)

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: December 09, 2018, 02:57:24 PM
Re: Maryland
« Reply #1475 on: March 12, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »

I’m of the opinion that the inflated construction costs of MD 200 and the existing ETLs have really left a mark on the MdTA Board and that they’re downscoping to keep the costs as manageable as possible.

Yes.  They opted for ICC construction at one of the most expensive points in recent history (when oil was over $100/barrel), and they have a large volume of bonds to pay back for both projects.  At the same time that they're trying to figure out how to pay for a Nice Bridge replacement, nevermind that Hogan reduced tolls shortly after he took office...

Except the construction costs for the ICC project were not "inflated," at least not when compared with the Dulles Rail project (same labor market, same federal "prevailing" wages), which has seen an enormous cost overrun (consistent with most WMATA rail construction projects).

The three major ICC contracts were advertised for bid during the worst of the Great Recession, so MDTA got a better deal than it might have otherwise from the contractors that submitted bids.

From the final MDTA report to the General Assembly  dated December 1, 2014:

The total financial plan for the ICC is now estimated to be $2.387 billion, which is approximately $59 million below the $2.446 billion IFP  amount as well as being $60 million below the $2.447 billion estimate provided to the committees in January, 2005. 

• Since inception (FY 2003 through June 30, 2014), the project has expended $2.322 billion,
or 97 percent of the current project estimate.  No additional funding will be required to complete the project. The project is funded with a combination of  the  following State and federal sources:
o $1,172.4 million in MDTA toll revenue backed debt and cash
o $750.0 million in GARVEE bonds   
o $264.9 million in State General Funds and General Obligation Bonds
o $180.0 million in State transportation trust funds
o $19.3 million in special federal funds

The GARVEE bond balance will be entirely paid-off by 2020.

According to audited MDTA financials, the ICC (by itself) collected over $64 million dollars in tolls for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2017.  That's about 9.5% of all revenues collected by MDTA. 

The only MDTA toll roads that collected more (in percentage terms) were I-95 JFK Highway (northbound crossing the Susquehanna River) (about 25.8%); I-895 Baltimore Harbor Tunnel  (about 13.2%); and the I-95 Fort McHenry  Tunnel (just over 30%). 

The I-95 Express Toll Lanes collected only about 1.85% of MDTA revenues.

Thanks for the figures and the perspective. It makes me wonder even more why the MDTA would deliberately narrow the scope of the second phase of the ETLs, whe it’s likely that 10-15 years after construction starts, they’ll have to do even more construction to deal with the traffic volume. I’m quite puzzled - it seems to make much more strategic and financial sense to build the full-size facility up to Exit 80 now and take advantage of the tolls from the longer lanes. What am I missing?

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 09, 2018, 10:08:13 PM
« Reply #1476 on: March 13, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »

Thanks for the figures and the perspective. It makes me wonder even more why the MDTA would deliberately narrow the scope of the second phase of the ETLs, whe it’s likely that 10-15 years after construction starts, they’ll have to do even more construction to deal with the traffic volume. I’m quite puzzled - it seems to make much more strategic and financial sense to build the full-size facility up to Exit 80 now and take advantage of the tolls from the longer lanes. What am I missing?

My guess is that MDTA would bump up against the total amount of outstanding debt that they are allowed to have - an arbitrary limit that I suspect was imposed by members of the  General Assembly opposed to the InterCounty Connector who were angry that they lost that long-running conflict.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

• Last Login: December 09, 2018, 05:21:16 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #1477 on: March 13, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »

^ Actually, the General Assembly increased MdTA's debt limit in 2008 from $1.9B to $3.0B (minus whatever MdTA acquiries in FHWA TIFIA loans) to account for the simultaneous financing and construction of the ICC and I-95 ETL's (Chapter 567 of the 2008 session laws).  Because of the TIFIA loan used for the ICC, their current debt limit is in the neighborhood of $2.4B.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #1478 on: March 13, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »

^ Actually, the General Assembly increased MdTA's debt limit in 2008 from $1.9B to $3.0B (minus whatever MdTA acquiries in FHWA TIFIA loans) to account for the simultaneous financing and construction of the ICC and I-95 ETL's (Chapter 567 of the 2008 session laws).  Because of the TIFIA loan used for the ICC, their current debt limit is in the neighborhood of $2.4B.

It is currently $2.2 or $2.3 billion.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #1479 on: March 13, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »

2.3 and change per MdTA's debt webpage.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 12:03:00 PM
« Reply #1480 on: April 07, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »

Not something you see every day! (Thanks to cpzilliacus for retweeting the source.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

« Reply #1481 on: April 16, 2018, 11:06:39 AM »

Capital News Service via WTOP: Maryland explores changing tolls to electronic only

The Maryland Transportation Authority is exploring phasing out all cash toll booths across the state.

Today, tolls are collected three ways: by cash, or electronically, by either an E-ZPass transponder or by video tolling — when the state uses a license-plate photo and mails drivers their bill.

Transportation officials say that the transition to all-electronic, high-speed toll collection will: save drivers time on their commute, save the state money, reduce accidents at toll plazas, and reduce CO2 emissions as less fuel is being burned, according to a national study by the University of Central Florida.

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: November 28, 2018, 06:23:29 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #1482 on: April 16, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »

Not something you see every day! (Thanks to cpzilliacus for retweeting the source.)

What's the tweet this came from?  Cool shot!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Doctor Whom

• Location: the land of America's most worldly but least fun people
  • Last Login: November 16, 2018, 06:01:53 PM
« Reply #1483 on: April 16, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »

Not something you see every day! (Thanks to cpzilliacus for retweeting the source.)[/img]
Officer, am I free to fly off?

Mergingtraffic

« Reply #1484 on: April 16, 2018, 07:56:31 PM »

Are the signs on the frontage roads for US-40/I-170 still around in Baltimore?  I see new traffic lights and sidewalk construction around US-1 and the side streets via GSV.  I heard some were replaced.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 12:03:00 PM
« Reply #1485 on: April 16, 2018, 08:51:46 PM »

What's the tweet this came from?  Cool shot!

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mergingtraffic

« Reply #1486 on: April 18, 2018, 06:22:09 PM »

are you able to search MSHA advertisements for projects online? I'm looking for signing projects if there are any.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

« Reply #1488 on: April 19, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »

are you able to search MSHA advertisements for projects online? I'm looking for signing projects if there are any.

https://emaryland.buyspeed.com/bso/external/publicBids.sdo

cpzilliacus

« Reply #1489 on: April 23, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »

GLOBE NEWSWIRE: The Maryland Transportation Authority selects TransCore to deliver next generation tolling customer service center solution - 10-year, $272M contract for Maryland’s toll account management and customer service operations

As part of a system-wide initiative to update its tolling technology and service, the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) has selected TransCore to design, build, operate, and maintain an advanced customer service center solution that enhances the overall customer experience and provides flexibility for future MDTA operations.

“MDTA’s goal is to revolutionize the way E-ZPass Maryland does customer service.  We look forward to our partnership with TransCore to provide our customers with the level of customer service they deserve,” said MDTA’s Executive Director Kevin C. Reigrut.  “This next generation of our tolling system will enable us to support our customers and operations for many years into the future.”

TransCore will implement its Integrity back office system to process transactions from MDTA’s eight tolled facilities, provide financial and enterprise reporting, and expand existing interaction with the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) Motor Vehicles Administration, E-ZPass, and law enforcement stakeholders.  Enhanced online functionality will enable motorists to review and replenish their accounts, conveniently make payments, and update customer information online, as well as sign up for roadway and account updates via email, text messaging, and new social media applications.

In addition to developing new online functionality, TransCore will build and operate a state-of-the-art customer service center, providing enhanced customer service to MDTA’s customers.  Acting in close partnership with MDTA, TransCore will establish a major new base of operation in Maryland, resulting in significant economic benefit to the State of Maryland and its citizens. 

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 11:50:00 AM
« Reply #1490 on: April 23, 2018, 04:42:51 PM »

And tolls will again rise to pay for all of these improvements...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: December 09, 2018, 02:57:24 PM
« Reply #1491 on: April 28, 2018, 08:55:41 PM »

With the impending completion of the MD 404 single lane paving before the start of the summer travel season and the ongoing reconstruction of the Salisbury Beltway, what’s the next major Eastern Shore project that needs to be built?

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #1492 on: April 28, 2018, 09:25:51 PM »

I'd argue for a 50/404 interchange.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 11:22:43 AM
« Reply #1493 on: April 28, 2018, 09:36:01 PM »

Upgrade US-50 to freeway standards between US-301 split and south of MD-404.

This has been studied in the past as a single project, with an upgrade alternative and a relocation alternative.
Scott M. Savage
-- Borders, Language and Culture
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Roadsguy

• Last Login: Today at 11:51:02 AM
« Reply #1494 on: April 29, 2018, 09:53:51 PM »

I'd argue for a 50/404 interchange.

This has been studied in the past as a single project, with an upgrade alternative and a relocation alternative.

I know at one point they wanted to do both, but did they drop/postpone the US 50 upgrade or the MD 404 interchange? Or both now?
[thing you don't like] is better than [thing you like]

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #1495 on: April 29, 2018, 10:18:59 PM »

I know at one point they wanted to do both, but did they drop/postpone the US 50 upgrade or the MD 404 interchange? Or both now?

The project is in Maryland's FY 2018 - FY 2023 Consolidated Transportation Program (CTP).

Project Status currently On Hold.  No total cost estimate given, but at say $30 million per mile that would be about $400 million.  Based on current and projected AADTs, I would say they definitely should go for the full 6-lane freeway facility.  Although I would suggest a Phase I where they would build the MD-404 interchange at $30-35 million.

PROJECT:  US 50, Ocean Gateway
DESCRIPTION:  Widen existing US 50 from US 301 at Queenstown to MD 404 (13.8 miles) to six lanes, acquire access controls, and replace at-grade intersections with interchanges.  Bicycle and pedestrian accommodations will be included where appropriate.
JUSTIFICATION:  This project will provide increased capacity to relieve traffic congestion and improve safety.
Annual Average Daily Traffic (vehicles per day)
CURRENT (2017) -    54,600                                                           
                               75,500 (Summer)
PROJECTED (2035) - 86,850                                               
                              100,650 (Summer)

$20.01 million expended thru 2017 for Planning, Engineering and Right-of-Way
$Zero programmed in any category for 2018-2023
Scott M. Savage

cpzilliacus

« Reply #1496 on: April 30, 2018, 05:30:13 AM »

Washington Post: Maryland rakes in millions of dollars from toll fines and penalties

Maryland’s stepped-up efforts to collect unpaid tolls are raking in millions of dollars for the state — outpacing the growth in toll revenue itself.

State lawmakers and consumer protection groups say the crackdown — which includes referring thousands of delinquent accounts to collections — is punitive and predatory, and is pushing Marylanders into debt — and in some cases bankruptcy. Transportation officials say they are only enforcing tolls motorists should be paying anyway — a major shift from years past when the state allowed scofflaws to run up hefty amounts in unpaid tolls and fines without consequences.

“Certainly, we want to collect unpaid tolls out of fairness to the 99% of our customers who do pay as expected,” John Sales, a spokesman for the Maryland Transportation Authority (MdTA) said via email. “But, we are far more interested in encouraging E-ZPass usage and prompt payment of tolls due rather than trying to collect overdue tolls and fines.”

cpzilliacus

« Reply #1497 on: April 30, 2018, 10:46:37 AM »

Baltimore Sun: Why is traffic so congested in Baltimore? Officials blame 'antiquated' signal system

An “antiquated” network of traffic signals is contributing to congestion downtown and in other busy Baltimore neighborhoods, and tens of millions of dollars in technology and structural upgrades are needed to ensure smoother, faster rides, city transportation officials say.

Some of the most pressing repair and replacement work is already planned. More than $20 million has been set aside in next year’s capital budget for system upgrades, officials say. But those investments are not assured, they say, and would resolve only a portion of the system’s deficiencies.

mrsman

• Last Login: Today at 08:01:56 AM
« Reply #1498 on: April 30, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »

WTOP:  US 50 over Severn River expands to 4 lanes

The eastbound lanes of Route 50 over the Severn River expanded from three lanes to four with Gov. Larry Hogan holding a ceremonial ribbon-cutting ceremony to mark the occasion.

The expansion was finished a month ahead of schedule.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #1499 on: April 30, 2018, 09:04:50 PM »

WTOP:  US 50 over Severn River expands to 4 lanes
The eastbound lanes of Route 50 over the Severn River expanded from three lanes to four with Gov. Larry Hogan holding a ceremonial ribbon-cutting ceremony to mark the occasion.
The expansion was finished a month ahead of schedule.

I see they did that by reducing the lane widths from 12 feet to 11 feet.
Scott M. Savage

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.