News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Route 1/Rice Avenue in Oxnard

Started by TheStranger, February 21, 2012, 05:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coatimundi

Quote from: AndyMax25 on August 05, 2016, 11:51:56 PM
I just drove through there today and it is sad that folks are missing the Rice Ave turnoff to continue south on Hwy 1. It's like Hwy 1 just disappears after 300 miles of good signage.

I blame the Malibu people who don't want drives cutting around the 101.
"STAY OUT OF MALIBU, LEBOWSKI!"

Quillz

Quote from: coatimundi on August 06, 2016, 12:28:08 AM
Quote from: AndyMax25 on August 05, 2016, 11:51:56 PM
I just drove through there today and it is sad that folks are missing the Rice Ave turnoff to continue south on Hwy 1. It's like Hwy 1 just disappears after 300 miles of good signage.

I blame the Malibu people who don't want drives cutting around the 101.
"STAY OUT OF MALIBU, LEBOWSKI!"
I find that's actually the quickest way to get to LAX from the valley these days. CA-27 to CA-1 to LAX.

coatimundi

A couple of years ago, I got into LAX from Asia and the rental car took so long to get that I finally got on the road at rush hour. I was shocked to see basically no traffic on the 405, but didn't want to press my luck, so I got off on 90 and took 1 the rest of the way up to Oxnard. If anything, it's a much more pleasant drive, especially around sunset. It's hard not to just stop and admire some of the scenery.

sparker

Back about 30 years ago I was driving a friend's older Dodge van from San Jose to the City of Industry to pick up some merchandise.  Decided to use 101 south, since the vehicle didn't like steep grades.  But at the last moment I remembered that the Conejo grade south (east) on 101 had about a 8-9% upgrade for about 2 miles, so I actually got off on Rice Ave. and headed south to CA 1/PCH, taking that SE through Malibu to I-10 and thence to CA 60 for the remainder of the trip.  CA 1/PCH is about the only way to get from Northern California to the L.A. area if you need to avoid heavy and/or sustained gradients (OK, I suppose you can use CA 126 to I-5 then south and avoid most grades -- but the scenery's a lot nicer and you avoid the 5/14/210/405 mess).

Return trip (van loaded with about a half-ton of speaker cabinets and drivers): 101 north to 1 at SLO, 1 north to 41 at Morro Bay, and 41 east back to 101 at Atascadero (avoiding the Cuesta grade north of SLO!).  Worked like a charm!

AndyMax25

Hi Everyone,

I just came through this area yesterday and was thoroughly frustrated that nothing has changed.  So I have put together the attached draft recommendations to submit to Caltrans D7 staff.  Please send me your comments/suggestions before the end of the week and then I'll send it off to my contacts there the following week. 

Myosh, if you have some time, it would be great to have some mocked up signs to include in the document.  At least for the new roadside one on page 3.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

https://smgov365-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/andrew_maximous_smgov_net/EY5JcnrJC3lAibS_QjJu15kB8rR8i7ji2GoTEEaCHrVOPw?e=bMu7VY

sparker

^^^^^^^
It'll be interesting to see how your suggestion is received at D7.  If for some reason you fail to receive a satisfactory reply within 3 weeks to a month, it might be appropriate to submit a copy to Caltrans HQ in Sacramento.  At this point, any action certainly couldn't hurt!

andy3175

Quote from: AndyMax25 on September 04, 2018, 12:29:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just came through this area yesterday and was thoroughly frustrated that nothing has changed.  So I have put together the attached draft recommendations to submit to Caltrans D7 staff.  Please send me your comments/suggestions before the end of the week and then I'll send it off to my contacts there the following week. 

Myosh, if you have some time, it would be great to have some mocked up signs to include in the document.  At least for the new roadside one on page 3.

https://smgov365-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/andrew_maximous_smgov_net/EY5JcnrJC3lAibS_QjJu15kB8rR8i7ji2GoTEEaCHrVOPw?e=bMu7VY

I think it's a great idea ... thanks Andy for preparing the document and showing how the signage could (should?) be posted to demonstrate route continuity for SR 1.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: AndyMax25 on September 04, 2018, 12:29:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure how I missed this but I'm game for doing some mockups (if you still want them).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

AndyMax25

Sure that would be great. I already submitted it to them but have not heard back.

TheStranger

Quote from: AndyMax25 on October 18, 2018, 04:15:34 PM
Sure that would be great. I already submitted it to them but have not heard back.

Just wondering if the District 7 folks ever responded.  Kinda amazing that the realignment has been in place for about 5 years now yet signage has been sporadic at best for the majority of that time!
Chris Sampang

sparker

^^^^^^^^
Went through there on SB 101 on 12/30/18; not a hint of CA 1 signage.  Wonder if D7's lack of response is due to simple embarassment or just plain apathy.  Question:  has anyone seen any evidence (the usual county milepost paddles or bridge inventory markings) that Caltrans has actually assumed maintenance of Rice Avenue between PCH and US 101?  :confused:

richardwm15

Legislatively Route 1 in Oxnard stops at Pleasant Valley Road (and resumes north of Ventura).  I don't expect D7 to adopt Rice Ave. until the RR grade separation at Rice Ave. and Fifth St. is completed.

sparker

Quote from: richardwm15 on January 16, 2019, 11:04:05 PM
Legislatively Route 1 in Oxnard stops at Pleasant Valley Road (and resumes north of Ventura).  I don't expect D7 to adopt Rice Ave. until the RR grade separation at Rice Ave. and Fifth St. is completed.

How far along is the construction of that separation -- and is there an estimated time frame for completion?

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on January 17, 2019, 12:55:34 AM

How far along is the construction of that separation -- and is there an estimated time frame for completion?

To also tie into this:

Reading Dan Faigin's Cahighways page, the definition of the Dana Point-Oxnard segment is as follows:

"(a) Route 5 south of San Juan Capistrano to Route 101 near El Rio except for the portion of Route 1 relinquished:

(1) Within the city limits of the City of Dana Point between the western edge of the San Juan Creek Bridge and Eastline Road at the city limits of the City of Laguna Beach.

(2) Within the city limits of the City of Newport Beach between Jamboree Road and Newport Coast Drive.

(3) Within the city limits of the City of Santa Monica between the southern city limits and Route 10.

(4) Within the city limits of the City of Oxnard between Pleasant Valley Road and Route 101."

Rice Avenue for the most part is not in the Oxnard city limits, so I always interpreted #4 to refer to the original Oxnard Boulevard layout as opposed to the Rice realignment - and the fact the definition still includes US 101 as the north terminus of the segment also fits with this.
Chris Sampang

AndyMax25

Quote from: TheStranger on January 15, 2019, 02:29:42 AM
Quote from: AndyMax25 on October 18, 2018, 04:15:34 PM

Just wondering if the District 7 folks ever responded.  Kinda amazing that the realignment has been in place for about 5 years now yet signage has been sporadic at best for the majority of that time!

Funny, I sent them a follow up email just before you sent this. I still have not heard back. I'll try to send it to a different division as well.

richardwm15

Legislatively Route 1 in Oxnard stops at Pleasant Valley Road (and resumes north of Ventura).  I don’t expect D7 to adopt Rice Ave. until the RR grade separation at Rice Ave. and Fifth St. is completed.

Design of the separation hasn't started yet.  According to the signed baseline agreement (http://www.catc.ca.gov/programs/sb1/reforms/docs/05_Signed_Baseline_Agreement-TCEP-RiceAvenueandFifthStreetGradeSeparation.pdf) construction will be complete in December 2023.

richardwm15

Quote from: TheStranger on January 17, 2019, 03:13:39 AM

To also tie into this:

Reading Dan Faigin's Cahighways page, the definition of the Dana Point-Oxnard segment is as follows:

"(a) Route 5 south of San Juan Capistrano to Route 101 near El Rio except for the portion of Route 1 relinquished:

(1) Within the city limits of the City of Dana Point between the western edge of the San Juan Creek Bridge and Eastline Road at the city limits of the City of Laguna Beach.

(2) Within the city limits of the City of Newport Beach between Jamboree Road and Newport Coast Drive.

(3) Within the city limits of the City of Santa Monica between the southern city limits and Route 10.

(4) Within the city limits of the City of Oxnard between Pleasant Valley Road and Route 101."

Rice Avenue for the most part is not in the Oxnard city limits, so I always interpreted #4 to refer to the original Oxnard Boulevard layout as opposed to the Rice realignment - and the fact the definition still includes US 101 as the north terminus of the segment also fits with this.

The Caltrans system map and the Bridgelog still show Oxnard Blvd as Route 1.  I wonder when they will get updated.

RZF

To also tie into this:

Actually I think Rice Ave. is in Oxnard's city limits...I read the SB1 project details, and it said that it had to conform to certain city guidelines at the Rice Ave/CA-34 intersection. However, they shouldn't relinquish it IMO...already there are certain sections of the street that desperately need new paving, and Oxnard has neglected the street for years.

Just throwing this out there: Now that SB1 has passed, I wonder how much a full freeway would cost to connect the current CA-1 freeway portion and US-101 along Rice Ave...

TheStranger

Quote from: RZF on January 17, 2019, 09:02:52 PM

To also tie into this:

Actually I think Rice Ave. is in Oxnard's city limits...I read the SB1 project details, and it said that it had to conform to certain city guidelines at the Rice Ave/CA-34 intersection. However, they shouldn't relinquish it IMO...already there are certain sections of the street that desperately need new paving, and Oxnard has neglected the street for years.

Just throwing this out there: Now that SB1 has passed, I wonder how much a full freeway would cost to connect the current CA-1 freeway portion and US-101 along Rice Ave...

The portion of Rice between US 101 and Route 34/5th Street has been pretty developed since about 2005, according to photos from Historic Aerials. (The 1994 overhead photo shows a lot less buildings in that area compared to the last 14-15 years)  The segment between Latigo Avenue and Sturgis Road in particular would require at least one building to be demolished (Velocity Truck Center Ventura County) and several parking lots to be removed as well.

South of Route 34, Rice is not in Oxnard city limits at all and is surrounded by farmland, as an undivided 4 lane road leading up to the Pleasant Valley interchange.
Chris Sampang

sparker

^^^^^^^^
At this point, it's unlikely that a completely new freeway between the existing CA 1 facility and US 101 would be added to the list of projects funded through SB1; the measure was touted as "fixing" the highway system (which can be interpreted to include expansions already programmed).  Adding previously unaddressed segments by proposing freeways might well raise objections from activist segments in greater L.A. -- and Ventura County is part of Caltrans' D7, based in L.A. County, which is attuned to such things.  Possibly after the I-5 upgrade from Orange County north is completed, other needs such as this may be addressed.  But for now it is more likely that any activity pertaining to the Rice Avenue alignment would be classified as modifications or "tweaking" of the existing facility to make it more amenable to large amounts of through traffic, including that grade separation with the Metrolink track paralleling CA 34.  D7 -- and Caltrans in general these days -- treads lightly when it comes to freeway-building or enhancement activities in or near metro areas lest certain parties publicly get their hackles up. 

JustDrive

Quote from: sparker on January 15, 2019, 03:00:52 AM
^^^^^^^^
Went through there on SB 101 on 12/30/18; not a hint of CA 1 signage.  Wonder if D7's lack of response is due to simple embarassment or just plain apathy.  Question:  has anyone seen any evidence (the usual county milepost paddles or bridge inventory markings) that Caltrans has actually assumed maintenance of Rice Avenue between PCH and US 101?  :confused:

Nothing on Rice Ave itself, but there is a brand-new lone CA 1 shield at NB Oxnard Blvd just north of Wooley Road. Very odd.

sparker

Quote from: JustDrive on January 22, 2019, 11:33:39 PM
Quote from: sparker on January 15, 2019, 03:00:52 AM
^^^^^^^^

Nothing on Rice Ave itself, but there is a brand-new lone CA 1 shield at NB Oxnard Blvd just north of Wooley Road. Very odd.

Someone down there should check the back side of the shield for a Caltrans inventory sticker; if there isn't one, the sign was likely placed there by either Oxnard or Ventura County.  This happened in San Jose on The Alameda, former CA 82; back in 2013 a brand-new CA 82 sign (on a 3-di shield, no less!) was erected just west of the UP underpass without a directional shield (unusual for D4); it stayed up until early 2016 before it was removed (it was the only CA 82 shield left on the old highway, relinquished several years back south of I-880, except the "END" shield at the Blossom Hill Rd. interchange with US 101).  It appears that cities occasionally elect to sporadically follow the "continuation signage" codicils by erecting random signage on the old alignments -- but never enough to actually enhance the continuation of a defunct route. 

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on January 23, 2019, 12:29:12 AM
It appears that cities occasionally elect to sporadically follow the "continuation signage" codicils by erecting random signage on the old alignments -- but never enough to actually enhance the continuation of a defunct route. 

I recall a surprising amount of Route 91 shields on Artesia Boulevard west of the Harbor Freeway back in 2013 or so!  I would even say that the signage level at the time was much better than say the entireties of Route 221 and 262, or that western section of Route 18 between Route 138 and I-15.  (And of course, the aforementioned surface street portion of Route 91 is still acknowledged on exit signage from I-405)
Chris Sampang

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
Knowing the cities of Gardena, Lawndale, and Redondo Beach (through which Artesia Blvd. passes on the way to the coast), they more than likely never bothered to take down the CA 91 shields (and D7 probably didn't really want them back!).  IIRC, the last time I was down there some CA 107 shields were still posted on Hawthorne Blvd. north of I-405; that has been a relinquished facility since about 1982!  If they're mounted high on signal masts, they'll probably stay there until they fall off on their own!   

TheStranger

Drove down the Ventura Freeway tonight and still no acknowledgement whatsoever of Route 1 at the Rice Avenue exit.

But the notable part to me is that the Oxnard Boulevard exit from US 101 has Route 1 shields greened out, YET...still has a Route 1 white-background truck restriction sign adjacent to it!  Actually stands out a bit when one considers that the Route 1 references essentially point to (almost) nothing at the moment:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2411264,-119.1863973,3a,15y,111.13h,93.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scOAiAbKOV556NaLCAeQ8uw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.