News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Nassau County routes

Started by Alps, March 20, 2012, 07:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/engineering/technical-services/highway-data-services/inventory-listing?nd=nysdot is an absolutely awesome site. It's the equivalent of the NJDOT Straight Line Diagrams, with point by point navigation of street names to be able to follow any road or route on any maintenance level. I had to look at something in Richmond County, and sure enough, the exact information I needed (jurisdiction of I-278 by milepost) was inside. Then I had an idea - what of Nassau County roads? I downloaded the CSV, and sure enough, not only are the roads segregated by maintenance, but NYSDOT still tracks the county route numbers! I noticed that there's little pattern to primary route numbers - after 1-12, the numbers start jumping up into the 20s, 60s, triple digits. The only reasonable numbers are 1 (major N-S corridor), 2 (Peninsula Blvd.), and 27 (old 27). Then there are a ton of C, D, and E secondary route numbers assigned alphabetically to county roads - C01 through C99 follow the As through Hs (roughly), and then D01 picks up from there. It's a very strange system, with a lot of tiny pieces, because every time a road name changes, it gets another number (unless it's one of the primary numbers). Some of the secondary routes are quite long and ought to be primary routes. There are cases like 7A and 7B where they may as well be 6 (not taken) and 7. There's that strangeness about 27 and 27 being next to each other, while 25 and 25 aren't. A couple of county routes completely overlap state highways (24 and 102 in Hempstead, for example), which I suppose has to do with the county needing to number any road it maintains - but why waste a primary number on it, and why not use CR 24 and CR 102 for those purposes? My ultimate goal with this is to create a map of all the county routes - for clinching, of course.  :nod:

MrDisco99

This is an incredible amount of data.  Love it.

empirestate

Yeah, I used primarily that file in finally compiling my Nassau County route log a few months back. I cross-referenced with the state roads GIS layer and a couple other sources; some conflicting info but I've done what I can to resolve it all. Oh, and I also marked up NYSDOT 7.5' quads with all of the route numbers. Enjoy it all over at http://empirestateroads.com/cr/crnassau.html !

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.