News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Capital Southeast Connector (Sacramento, CA)

Started by andy3175, April 11, 2013, 11:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere in the forum but thought I'd share a link regarding the proposed Capital Southeast Connector outside Sacramento, CA.

http://www.connectorjpa.net/

QuoteThe Connector is being planned as a 35-mile parkway-style facility that will do more than just improve travel in the region. It will also enhance our quality of life, boost local and regional economies and even help the environment.
Spanning from Interstate 5, south of Elk Grove, to Highway 50 in El Dorado County, just east of El Dorado Hills, this vitally important piece of the region's future transportation network will bring a wide range of benefits to those who live, work and drive in the southeast county.

When completed, the Connector will have four to six traffic lanes with limited access points to keep traffic flow moving and minimize impacts to local roads. For a few segments, this configuration may be modified to accommodate community needs. The Connector will provide options for a variety of travel modes throughout the corridor, including transit, bicyclists, pedestrians and even equestrians. The Connector's design will seek to strike a balance between meeting regional transportation needs; preserving open space, habitat and agriculture; and maintaining the livability of neighboring communities.

Another article has additional information:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2013/03/08/jpa-southeast-connector-financing-approv.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-03-08&u=lQWE7PmkV4OqrrEJrmsSGmEOotT

Governments approve financing, design for Southeast Connector (dated 3/8/2013)

QuoteThe 35-mile route is expected to cost $463 million in 2012 dollars through 2035. About $118 million comes from a Sacramento County tax measure approved by voters in 2004.

Directors of the joint-powers agency that runs it –representing the counties of Sacramento and El Dorado, as well as the cities of Elk Grove, Folsom and Rancho Cordova – unanimously approved the project's financing and design plans. As early as this summer, the local governments could vote to commit funds to the project and empower the agency to take full responsibility.

Described as what would be the county's largest congestion-reducing road in decades, the project would link Interstate 5 and Highway 99 just south of Elk Grove, then run along Grant Line and White Rock roads skirting Rancho Cordova and Folsom, finally connecting to Highway 50 in El Dorado Hills. The expressway would consist of two to three lanes in each direction.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: andy3175 on April 11, 2013, 11:40:26 PM
QuoteThe Connector is being planned as a 35-mile parkway-style facility that will do more than just improve travel in the region. It will also enhance our quality of life, boost local and regional economies and even help the environment.

Christ on a poop.  whatever happened to common-sense justifications for roads, like "it lets you get to point B faster". 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DTComposer

It's been years since I lived in Sacramento, but isn't this just connecting one suburban/exurban area to another? Is there really commuter traffic between Elk Grove and El Dorado Hills? Is there enough traffic from the south towards South Lake Tahoe?

That said, the fictional highways part of me could see it becoming part of a big loop, using CA-113 and the proposed Placer Parkway.

Concrete Bob

Rather than start a new topic, I decided to "bump" a thread that hasn't been hit upon since May 2013. 

Earlier this week, the Joint Powers Authority responsible for developing the Capital Southeast Corridor released a Request for Proposal regarding accepting bids to develop/build the corridor.  If you go to the URL below and go to PDF page 20 of 44, you can see a plan for the ultimate buildout of the corridor. Here's a link to the document:

http://www.connectorjpa.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Attachment-G-ROW-Cost-Study.pdf

Personally, I would have like to have seen grade-separated interchanges at Franklin Boulevard, Williard Parkway and Bruceville Road in Elk Grove. 

Additionally, I would have also like to have seen grade-separated interchanges at Calvine Road, Eagles Nest Road, Rancho Cordova Parkway and Oak Avenue Parkway in Folsom. Since the area between Calvine Road in Wilton/Elk Grove and Oak Avenue Parkway is undeveloped, I think it would have been (and still be) easy to preserve ROW for interchanges at those points. 

Also, I would like to see Hazel Avenue extended south to the point where White Rock Road meets up with the connector as some sort of stack/diamond interchange.  The current long term plans just show a tight diamond where White Rock meets Grant Line.  If Hazel Avenue is extended south to the connector, we could conceivably see a sort of half-beltway around the south and east sides of Sacramento.  Imagine if it was tied into the Placer Parkway !!!

The four to six lane divided connector is supposed to be in operation by 2023 without interchanges.  The nine interchanges shown in the plans are supposed to be added between 2023 and 2039, as revenue flow would allow. 

Sometimes you have to bump a thread !!!

andy3175

Update from the Sacramento Bee on the Capital Southeast Connector with the failure of Measure B in November ...

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article123729844.html

QuoteFor years, leaders in east Sacramento County have been laying the groundwork for what they call the Capital SouthEast Connector, a 34-mile beltway that would carve through ranchlands behind Folsom and Rancho Cordova, serving as a commute alternative to Highways 50 and 99.

It's been a slow slog, beset by lawsuits, coordination issues, and most notably a lack of money.

The effort suffered a setback in November when voters rejected Measure B, the Sacramento County transportation half-cent sales tax that would have provided $125 million for the project — more than a third of the connector's estimated $335 million construction cost.

Despite that, proponents say they intend to get the massive project built. They just aren't sure when. ...

The planned connector would be a four-lane expressway with a center median and a bike trail, much of it an expansion of Grant Line Road and White Rock roads. It would connect to Highway 50 at the Silva Valley interchange in El Dorado County at its northeast end, as well as to Highway 99 in south Elk Grove and Interstate 5 south of Sacramento at its southwest terminus.

The connector joint powers board — made up of representatives from Sacramento and El Dorado counties, and from the cities of Folsom, Elk Grove and Rancho Cordova — will reconvene in January to discuss next steps. ...
it will take another several decades to get the expressway built. Even then, it will be a smaller road than first imagined. Previously, officials talked of building six lanes in some spots, with interchanges instead of intersections, with an estimated cost at one point of $700 million. ...

Eventually, when expected east county growth causes congestion on the new road, the connector could be turned into a full expressway by turning intersections into interchanges. ...

The group built an initial 2.2-mile section in 2012, expanding and straightening part of White Rock, from Grant Line to Prairie City Road. That section offers a preview of what the entire corridor will look like. Future sections are expected to have a bike trail separated from the roadway.

Despite the November ballot box setback, the connector project is far from financially bereft. It is in line to receive $118 million over the next two decades from the county's existing Measure A transportation sales tax, approved by voters in 2004. The connector group also will collect fees from developers who build housing projects near the connector corridor.

The group currently has $15 million it plans to use in 2018 to further widen another 2 miles of White Rock Road to four lanes between Prairie City Road and the northern branch of Scott Road. Planners said they had hoped to build a longer section all the way to Latrobe Road in El Dorado County but do not yet have the extra $24 million that would cost. ...

The Environmental Council of Sacramento, which advocates for more infill housing development in existing urban areas, sued the connector group in 2012. Connector officials settled that lawsuit, agreeing to spend some funds to buy land on the southeast side of the road for open space preservation and species habitat. How much land and at what cost is still uncertain.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

don1991

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 12, 2013, 09:58:01 AM

Christ on a poop.  whatever happened to common-sense justifications for roads, like "it lets you get to point B faster".

==========

Shhhh...."freeway" in California is a bad word now.  You can't say it.  Call it a "Parkway", or an "Enhanced Arterial", and make up all kinds of garbage to apologize for building a controlled access highway.  Just don't call it a freeway.

Don

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

bing101

https://www.connectorjpa.net/
This is a proposed Expressway designed to be an alternative route to I-80 and US-50 that's is being discussed so far to be a 4 lane route from El Dorado Hills to Elk Grove. Total length of this route is 34 miles.

https://www.connectorjpa.net/overview.html

mapman

Interesting.  This sounds kind of like the SR 148 proposal from decades ago.  I see that there's a Joint Powers Authority administering it.  Maybe they're working like the State Route 4 Bypass Authority in eastern Contra Costa County -- upgrading the corridor independent of Caltrans or any other traditional jurisdiction.

sparker

Quote from: mapman on July 15, 2020, 12:58:34 AM
Interesting.  This sounds kind of like the SR 148 proposal from decades ago.  I see that there's a Joint Powers Authority administering it.  Maybe they're working like the State Route 4 Bypass Authority in eastern Contra Costa County -- upgrading the corridor independent of Caltrans or any other traditional jurisdiction.

Physically, it's likely the corridor will use Caltrans templates for suburban/rural expressway in a similar fashion to Riverside County's deployment of the Domengoni Parkway in the Hemet/Menifee area a decade back.  The concept then was to eventually reroute CA 74 over that facility and get it off State Street through Hemet.   The Sacramento-area project doesn't replace any existing state facilities, though -- although eventually the CA 148 designation may be applied to the final product more for navigational purposes than anything (and it would get Caltrans off the fiscal hook as far as developing the long-dormant 148 corridor is concerned) -- although undoubtedly considerable state funds would be mixed into the project development.  Ironically 74 x 2 = 148!

SeriesE

How about no? Don't build it unless it's a freeway. :-D :spin:

bing101

NE2

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=9243

Mod Note: Merged new 2020 thread into existing topic linked here. —Roadfro
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Concrete Bob

The section of White Rock Road between Prairie City Road and East Bidwell/Scott Road in Folsom is about to get upgraded to expressway.  Authorities have already moved the utility lines about 200 feet south of the existing roadway.  Planning for the expressway was first announced in 2001.  This is the third stretch of the expressway to be constructed.  The first section, from Prairie City Road to the Grant Line Road-White Rock Road split was completed in 2014.  The second section from SR 99 to Waterman Road was completed around 2016 or so.  The next section of Grant Line Road that will be upgraded will be the section between Waterman Road and Bradshaw Road in Elk Grove. 

The Capital Southeast Connector is the biggest planned highway project planned for the Sacramento region.  Hopefully, the shovels will hit the earth for the Placer Parkway soon.

skluth

Just curious. Expressways in Wisconsin (where I was raised) are built with enough width to convert to freeways. Access along the highway is usually just major roads and an occasional farm or business, but it becomes limited access when converted. Does California follow the same idea or is it just a four lane highway with enough ROW to add more lanes?

Concrete Bob

I think that would depend on the jurisdiction responsible for building the expressway.  Historically, I believe the State of California built expressways and purchased right of way with the intention of ultimately upgrading the route to freeway.  During the period of 1947-1975, the State of California purchased rights of way for expressways with the ultimate goal of a freeway upgrade.

The Capital Southeast Expressway was first proposed in 2001 by local transportation planners. It is not a currently State Highway, and is planned to be a combination of expressway with grade separations and interchanges in undeveloped areas, and as a "thoroughfare" with grade crossings in established areas.   

Concrete Bob

There's been some very notable progress on the Capital Southeast Connector in the past few weeks on the 2.5 mile section between Prairie City Road and East Bidwell Street in Folsom.   Over this past weekend (4/23-4/25), the project contractor (Goodfellow Brothers) installed a detour on White Rock Road, where it crosses Alder Creek.  About 50 feet to the south, the contractors installed dirt embankment on both sides of Alder Creek for the new connector.  Dirt has been graded out for the new connector from East Bidwell Street to a point about 1.5 miles to the west.  There are survey markers along the entire 2.5 mile corridor.  All the electrical powerlines have been relocated to the south end of the corridor for the Capital Southeast Connector. 

The section is expected to be completed and open to traffic sometime in 2022.   

sparker

Quote from: Concrete Bob on April 26, 2021, 11:12:53 PM
There's been some very notable progress on the Capital Southeast Connector in the past few weeks on the 2.5 mile section between Prairie City Road and East Bidwell Street in Folsom.   Over this past weekend (4/23-4/25), the project contractor (Goodfellow Brothers) installed a detour on White Rock Road, where it crosses Alder Creek.  About 50 feet to the south, the contractors installed dirt embankment on both sides of Alder Creek for the new connector.  Dirt has been graded out for the new connector from East Bidwell Street to a point about 1.5 miles to the west.  There are survey markers along the entire 2.5 mile corridor.  All the electrical powerlines have been relocated to the south end of the corridor for the Capital Southeast Connector. 

The section is expected to be completed and open to traffic sometime in 2022.   

Any chance of seeing a map showing the location of this construction? 

Concrete Bob

https://www.connectorjpa.net/folsom-el-dorado-hills-d3-e1.html

The section is noted as D-3(A) for actual construction, It is the first half of D-3 within Sacramento County.  It is between the two north south running roads on the Sacramento County side of the Sacto/Eldorado County border. 

sparker

Quote from: Concrete Bob on April 27, 2021, 03:10:15 AM
https://www.connectorjpa.net/folsom-el-dorado-hills-d3-e1.html

The section is noted as D-3(A) for actual construction, It is the first half of D-3 within Sacramento County.  It is between the two north south running roads on the Sacramento County side of the Sacto/Eldorado County border. 

Wow; that was quick!  Thanks for the map/illustration; will have to take a look at it the next time I'm up in that area.

Max Rockatansky

I'm sure those people who at the ruins or Clarksville at the end of Old White Rock Road will love that.   :rolleyes:

Concrete Bob

I'm pretty sure any historically-relevant artifacts and sites from Clarksville will be archived, preserved and relocated accordingly.  The section of White Rock Road east of East Bidwell Street and the El Dorado County line is pretty treacherous, and carries a lot of inter-regional traffic.  The upgraded connector will address a lot of growth issues in the region, and provide a bit of a relief valve for US 50, SR 99 and I-5. 

I would have liked to have seen the Capital Southeast Corridor ultimately built as a freeway/expressway for its entire length (with a bypass of Wilton), along with a northern spur leading to Hazel Avenue (at White Rock Road) up to I-80 in Rocklin upgraded to a limited-access expressway with tight diamond interchanges at major east-west cross streets. That would cover some of the planned functions of the unbuilt sections of SR 148, SR 143 and SR 65.  Sacramento County really "screwed the pooch" when they voted to abandon the Caltrans freeway plans for the region back in November 1974.   

Nowadays, all major arterials in Northeast Sacramento County seem to have signal lights every quarter or half mile, and are the basis for much of the area's commute.  When I need to get to Roseville from Folsom, it takes me a good 35 minutes.  Had all the planned freeways been built, I could have got to my destinations within 15 or 20 minutes. The Capital Southeast Connector, as currently planned, while far from perfect, will provide something far better than a suburban arterial with a signal light every half mile for inter and intra-regional commuters.  Mejor que nada !   

bing101

Quote from: don1991 on March 25, 2017, 02:16:41 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 12, 2013, 09:58:01 AM

==========

Shhhh...."freeway" in California is a bad word now.  You can't say it.  Call it a "Parkway", or an "Enhanced Arterial", and make up all kinds of garbage to apologize for building a controlled access highway.  Just don't call it a freeway.

Don

You can call the SouthEast connector an Expressway in the same way some of Santa Clara county routes are called when they are in San Jose.

Plutonic Panda

This logic of wanting parkways instead of freeways makes no sense to me. You're still going to accommodate cars yet just make quality of life worse of commuters by increasing their commute times and increasing emissions by adding stop lights? SMH

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Concrete Bob on April 28, 2021, 01:52:00 AM
I'm pretty sure any historically-relevant artifacts and sites from Clarksville will be archived, preserved and relocated accordingly.  The section of White Rock Road east of East Bidwell Street and the El Dorado County line is pretty treacherous, and carries a lot of inter-regional traffic.  The upgraded connector will address a lot of growth issues in the region, and provide a bit of a relief valve for US 50, SR 99 and I-5. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  The property owners are pretty aggressive in terms of asserting that Clarksville is private property.  It might get rock of a slab of early Lincoln Highway concrete off of Old White Rock Road from the way I read the drawings though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.