News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

VA 147 and VA 401 extensions?

Started by Mapmikey, April 17, 2013, 08:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Bacon Race Rd is SR 896.

Yes, the two SR 610s were once connected, shown clearly on the 1936 county maps.  However, it is unclear whether it was a bridge or a ford.  Its crossing is labeled as Wolf Run Shoals, while SR 612 is labeled Woodyards Bridge and SR 615 is labeled Yates Ford. 

Mapmikey

1995hoo

Quote from: dfnva on April 24, 2013, 11:01:58 PM
Here's the map of the area I'm talking about.... clearly there is a Wolf Run Shoals Rd on both sides of the Occoquan River and SR-610 is the route number on the Fairfax side, and USED TO BE the route number on the PW Side (currently SR-8xx -- can't confirm since, in grand VDOT style, route number signage is missing at the Bacon Race / Davis Ford intersection). There must have been a bridge, ferry, or something to necessitate the same road name and route number on both sides of the Occoquan River, or it's a mighty great coincidence.

-Dan

Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying there's a ferry there NOW. That's why I responded as I did. Sorry for the confusion.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 25, 2013, 07:22:17 AM
Bacon Race Rd is SR 896.

Mmmm, bacon race.

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 25, 2013, 07:22:17 AM
Yes, the two SR 610s were once connected, shown clearly on the 1936 county maps.  However, it is unclear whether it was a bridge or a ford.  Its crossing is labeled as Wolf Run Shoals, while SR 612 is labeled Woodyards Bridge and SR 615 is labeled Yates Ford. 
It was a ford in 1781 :bigass:
http://markerhunter.wordpress.com/2009/08/09/wolf-run-shoals/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kendancy66

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 17, 2013, 09:31:41 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on April 17, 2013, 08:55:55 PM
At the CTB workshop meeting today, VDOT gave a presentation about studying routes to transfer from secondary to primary status.

They studied 30 routes, mostly in Northern Virginia.  In the end, VDOT is going to recommend to the CTB extending VA 147 south over SR 653 to US 360 and VA 401 south over SR 613 to end at SR 611.

presentation on this topic located - http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2013/apr/pres/Presentation_Agenda_Item_6_Sec_Primary.pdf

Heck, Va. 613 (South Van Dorn Street) has long functioned as a minor arterial highway from the  city limits of Alexandria south at least to Va. 644 (Franconia Road), so that makes loads of sense.

Wish the CTB would consider upgrading Va. 620 (Braddock Road) to the primary system, from Va. 28 (Centreville Road) to Va. 236 (Little River Turnpike).  If they don't want to go as far west as Va. 28, then they could start the primary highway at Va. 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) or Va. 123 (Ox Road).

Wasn't Braddock Rd widened from 2 to 4 lanes from VA-123 to south of Fairfax Pkwy in  Mid to late 1990's?

1995hoo

Braddock is four lanes from 123 to Union Mill Road (don't know its number–the road where Centreville High School and Twin Lakes Golf Course are located); that particular road then changes names to New Braddock and continues as four lanes to Route 28. I know New Braddock was built as four lanes before 1991 because I remember one of my friends in high school (whom I have not seen since high school) hitting triple digits on there once (idiot), but I think you're right that the widening of the rest came after that timeframe. I know Braddock west of 123 to the Fairfax Countyy Parkway was still two lanes when I was in high school because there were two curves that were dangerous in the car I had then if I didn't slow down bigtime.

dfnva

SR-620/Braddock Rd was widened from 4 lanes to 6-8 lanes btwn I-495 and SR-645/Burke Lake Rd in the late 1980s. Braddock was widened from 2 lanes to 4 lanes between SR-651/Guinea Rd and the area of George Mason University (SR-653/Sideburn Rd) in the early 1990s. The widening west of VA-123 occurred in the mid-1990s (I think it was widened first to SR-655/Shirley Gate Rd or VA-286, and then the widening of the portion west to SR-659/Union Mill Rd occurred later). In 1995 or 1996, I specifically remember the JCT with SR-645/Clifton Rd still being two lanes for both roads, the last time I saw that intersection in its original form, so that portion must have been the final stretch to be widened.

1995hoo

Major thread bump because I saw our district's member of the Board of Supervisors last night (Jeff McKay, represents Lee District) and I asked him whatever became of the proposal to extend the Route 401 designation south on Van Dorn. The context for my asking had to do with road maintenance and the hierarchy of different route classes that determines where pothole repair gets priority. He said the proposal was dropped because the county decided they didn't support it, due in part to issues about the amount of say they get on access to the road for primary versus secondary routes. As has been previously noted in the thread about the Fairfax County and Prince William Parkways becoming primary routes, the county's approval is not required for the CTB to act, but it's further evidence they do consider the local government's position.

He also mentioned Fairfax and Alexandria are still negotiating over improvements to Van Dorn within the city limits. Interesting item he mentioned is there's some very tentative discussion about building some sort of dedicated bus lane as a way of improving transit options given the massive cuts in Blue Line Metrorail service. Any such project is well in the future, but it's interesting–Alexandria will never cooperate with widening Van Dorn for cars, but propose a busway and there's a good chance they'd jump all over it.

Finally, McKay talked a bit about the I-95 HO/T project. If I had not seen a few forum members' photos in one of the road meet threads, I would have wondered if McKay posts on this forum using the handle "mtantillo." His analysis of the project, and its lack of benefit to Lee District, was strikingly similar to Mike's comments made back in the very first post of the HO/T lanes thread a few years ago. (I could discuss transportation with McKay for hours if there were time to do it! It was funny, when I asked him about the Route 401 CTB proposal he was impressed anyone knew about it.)

Thing 342

Speaking of VA state route extensions, VA-172 has been extended along the Commander Sheppard Blvd extension from VA-134 to SR-600 / Big Bethel Road. IIRC, it is signed in both directions.

Takumi

Anyone ever find out what happened to the 147 extension proposal? Saw a link to this thread in Mark's recent renumbering thread, but never heard anything about it. The intersection of Courthouse and 360 was expanded a bit last year, but that's it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on September 04, 2016, 09:52:51 PM
Anyone ever find out what happened to the 147 extension proposal? Saw a link to this thread in Mark's recent renumbering thread, but never heard anything about it. The intersection of Courthouse and 360 was expanded a bit last year, but that's it.

I personally remembered trying to look at the Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors Meeting Minutes and not finding any information there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.