News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Any traffic lights like these in other parts of the USA?

Started by Lytton, July 03, 2013, 08:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lytton

Quote from: thenetwork on July 04, 2013, 03:32:27 PM
Not sure if they are still there, but there used to be some similar assemblies in Downtown Detroit, near Grand Circus Park (either Fort Street &/or Michigan Avenue).

To be fair, I don't know either. But however, I think I remember that they used to be there back in 2009, but it seems like that in 2011, City of Detroit has replaced them with the regular but rare mast arm lights.
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

TEG24601

These are very similar to the standard light setup in Honolulu, as well as several Airports I've been adjacent to in the US.

As for Detroit, most of the light have been replaced with standard mast arms, aside from one at the end of I-375 (the last time I was there).  At least they are moving away from the single wire setup in downtown Detroit.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Lytton

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 04, 2013, 04:43:21 PM
These are very similar to the standard light setup in Honolulu, as well as several Airports I've been adjacent to in the US.

Honolulu? Um. Last time I've been there, I don't remember the setup of traffic lights being like that. They were just regular mast arms, and most of them were side-mounted (is that the right term).

Anyway, I might be wrong. Can you provide me an example of this setup in Honolulu?
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

TEG24601

Quote from: Lytton on July 04, 2013, 07:17:55 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on July 04, 2013, 04:43:21 PM

Honolulu? Um. Last time I've been there, I don't remember the setup of traffic lights being like that. They were just regular mast arms, and most of them were side-mounted (is that the right term).

Anyway, I might be wrong. Can you provide me an example of this setup in Honolulu?

When I was growing up there, nearly all the lights downtown where like that.  It appears that most have been replaced, but I have seen them when watching Hawaii 5-0, and other movies and shows that take place in Hawaii.  I remember specifically the intersections near Wo Fat's Chinese Restaurant and the one next to the Spaghetti Factory being of that design.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

M3019C LPS20

getemngo

Portsmouth, Ohio

Grand Rapids also used to have these (1988 photo below). I remember them as a kid, but can't recall when they disappeared.

~ Sam from Michigan

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

PColumbus73

I really like these traffic signal set-ups, I think they are more decorative than the standard mast arms. There are a couple in Columbia, SC (Main Street between Blanding and Laurel Streets, not sure if there are more.) Personally, I'd like to see more of them!

kkt

Quote from: TheStranger on September 06, 2013, 05:46:00 AM
When I see that traffic light style, I invariably think of the similar (but slightly different) assemblies along Market Street in San Francisco.  (I wonder if they got installed after the early-1970s BART excavation project was finished)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Market+%26+7th,+San+Francisco&hl=en&ll=37.780467,-122.412565&spn=0.004978,0.006899&sll=37.780466,-122.412560&layer=c&cbp=13,75.35,,1,-15.4&cbll=37.780466,-122.41256&hnear=Market+St+%26+7th+St,+San+Francisco,+California&t=h&z=17&panoid=wdEWnZMPu_Z3mBIH0tCIlQ

Yes, those sign assemblies were part of the general renovation of Market Street when the BART/Muni tunnel was put in.

lordsutch

They used to have some of these on-property at Memphis International Airport for access to the on-airport employee parking and cargo terminal areas, but they were bulldozed years ago with the reconfiguration of the roadways for the new tower and the eventual parking garage expansion/rental car complex.

Mike Lima

CAID Industries www.caid.com 520-294-3126 designs and manufactures these modular poles for City's of Tempe, Tucson, & Goodyear.  Please contact Mike Lima at CAID 520-294-3126x326 for additional information.....

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

doogie1303

busman_49

Blue Ash, Ohio.  Replaced in 2011:

(more in the album)

formulanone

There's many of these in Fort Lauderdale's Arts and Science District, but they're horizontally-mounted signals.

SGwithADD

I know I'm necroing a thread, but I figured I would add this for posterity's sake since I was looking up modular traffic lights earlier today.  Forgive me.

Binghamton used to have a bunch of modular lights downtown, also as a result of urban renewal.  This was the last set of them standing (from 2012): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0986885,-75.9124873,3a,52.9y,0.86h,94.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skZxu-CcnaDCS9-y_mk1z0A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (it was replaced by an antique mast arm by 2015).

As much as I hate other things about urban renewal, I have to admit that these modular lights looked really cool.  Sad to see them gone.

Amtrakprod

Many southern beach towns use this, for reasons I do not know
Edit: Wow, I found one in Massachusetts!!! https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1948906,-71.2004118,3a,75y,77.32h,92.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZoZ2nXl5Fn6W9NKD3Wo72Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

roadfro

Quote from: SGwithADD on December 03, 2018, 12:24:17 AM
I know I'm necroing a thread, but I figured I would add this for posterity's sake since I was looking up modular traffic lights earlier today.  Forgive me.

Binghamton used to have a bunch of modular lights downtown, also as a result of urban renewal.  This was the last set of them standing (from 2012): https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0986885,-75.9124873,3a,52.9y,0.86h,94.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skZxu-CcnaDCS9-y_mk1z0A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 (it was replaced by an antique mast arm by 2015).

As much as I hate other things about urban renewal, I have to admit that these modular lights looked really cool.  Sad to see them gone.

Downtown Reno has a bunch along Virginia Street and some nearby streets. I've never been a fan of them. I think the more "antique"  style used at the I-80/Virginia signals or some other areas around the downtown core are more classy (and also match the more typical street lighting used in revitalized corridors around town).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

UCFKnights

silverback1065

US71

Stuttgart, AR old US 79 (ped signals no longer work)

There is also one in downtown Little Rock, but I can't find my photos off-hand.  If memory serves correct, they are horizontal.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Well, that's just like your opinion man...

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 04, 2013, 11:59:56 AM
I associate these light structures with 1970s commercial-district urban renewal programs.  They almost go hand-in-hand with streets closed to create pedestrian shopping districts.  They seem to say "Look, no more unwieldy, gangly mess of traffic light poles reminding us of unmanageable development chaos -- now it's neat and sleek, just like the future."

Once upon a time in the early 1980's, downtown Pittsburgh was to get these.  That is why they have the posts on Liberty Ave with the octagonal stop sign looking reinforcing mounts high up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.