News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Highway locations, Facebook-style

Started by empirestate, January 24, 2014, 09:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: pianocello on January 28, 2014, 11:55:27 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on January 28, 2014, 09:08:04 PM
I've seen "Los Angeles" pop up in every little corner of the greater metro area on my iPhone weather app for quite some time until September (same with San Diego, Imperial, San Bernardino, etc) even in cities such as Santa Clarita and San Fernando.  That was because they were putting the county in as the location.  How vague.

You mean they had the county name in place of the city name? That would throw off everybody in Des Moines County, IA, which is about 150 miles away from Des Moines.
More prevalent out west where towns aren't covering the landscape. Iowa has townships that often are marked.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

empirestate

Quote from: jbnv on January 29, 2014, 05:21:44 PM
Quote from: empirestate on January 24, 2014, 09:00:48 PM
So are there other examples of prominent highway-related (or other) locations that give similar prominence to an otherwise obscure toponym?
Does the "Bay St. Louis" control city on I-10 count?

I don't see why it would; Bay St. Louis is a city of over 8,000 population, so I can imagine its name appears in quite a lot of Facebook posts. In other words, it has a fair amount of prominence on its own; hardly on the verge of disappearing from the map!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.