News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Yield Overload"

Started by Zeffy, March 24, 2014, 08:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Driving through this intersection near Trenton, NJ is quite possibly one of the easiest ways to learn to yield, IMO:

http://goo.gl/maps/RRMio

Street view: http://goo.gl/maps/YXRCV

Traffic exiting off I-95 and heading south on NJ 29 must yield once to the right, then once to the left and then finally, once again, to the right. So, I'm wondering if there's any other locations where there's a large amount of yielding required? Roundabouts and traffic circles don't count - the criteria here is that the yield must belong to only a single road (such as NJ 29 SB here).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Zeffy

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

Quote from: Alps on March 25, 2014, 07:59:19 PM

Am I correct to assume that is somewhere in the Saguenay area given the name?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

txstateends

Quote from: Zeffy on March 24, 2014, 08:30:07 PM
Driving through this intersection near Trenton, NJ is quite possibly one of the easiest ways to learn to yield, IMO:

http://goo.gl/maps/RRMio

Street view: http://goo.gl/maps/YXRCV

Traffic exiting off I-95 and heading south on NJ 29 must yield once to the right, then once to the left and then finally, once again, to the right. So, I'm wondering if there's any other locations where there's a large amount of yielding required? Roundabouts and traffic circles don't count - the criteria here is that the yield must belong to only a single road (such as NJ 29 SB here).

This is the first time I've seen specific signed instructions/directions about yielding at an intersection.  Stop signs and route signs/shields, of course, but not yields.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

txstateends

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

getemngo

Quote from: txstateends on March 26, 2014, 11:21:21 AM
This is the first time I've seen specific signed instructions/directions about yielding at an intersection.  Stop signs and route signs/shields, of course, but not yields.

In the part of Michigan where I grew up, Yield Except When Turning Right was somewhat common. It happened at 3- or 4-way intersections where the "main" road made a 90 degree turn. The MUTCD specifies a Yield To Opposing Traffic, too.

"To Right" or "To Left" is new to me. I'd expect One Way signs, except a motorist might get confused by the combination of One Way and No Turns... so the NJ treatment might actually make more sense.
~ Sam from Michigan

jeffandnicole

Sadly, when the new 95 overpass is built, the interchanges will be converted to roundabouts and roundabout bypasses.  Boring.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2014, 11:53:06 AM
Sadly, when the new 95 overpass is built, the interchanges will be converted to roundabouts and roundabout bypasses.  Boring.

What. Where was this announced?

jeffandnicole

http://www.scudderfallsbridge.com/

Been in the planning phases for about 11 years now.

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

1995hoo

Quote from: SD Mapman on March 26, 2014, 12:57:38 PM
Does that translate out as The Pyramid of Ha-Ha?

Pretty much, or as "Ha! Ha! Pyramid." I did a search and confirmed that it is indeed in the Saguenay valley. I had visited the area on a family vacation when I was a kid and I remembered the name "Baie des Ha! Ha!" as being the point where a tributary flowed into the Saguenay River, but I didn't remember the pyramid. Turns out that's because it was built in 1998 as a memorial following a horrendous flood in 1996.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

realjd

Quote from: Zeffy on March 25, 2014, 10:36:49 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 25, 2014, 07:59:19 PM

You win. All hail the yield pyramide.

A good 50% of those are international-style warning signs though...

Tom958

That movement is missing on the other side of 95. WTF?

NE2

Quote from: Tom958 on March 27, 2014, 05:54:30 PM
That movement is missing on the other side of 95. WTF?
There's an onramp from NJ 175.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.