News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Map of six-laned interstates in the US?

Started by westerninterloper, May 27, 2023, 12:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 23, 2023, 02:27:45 PM
An idea I had, and feel free to ignore it, would be to do something similar with toll roads. Google Maps and the like don't really mark them with any prominence, so it would be nice to have something.

I could probably do this on my own here and there as I have time, but I would want to be sure I could do something that isn't my own personal travels first.

Google Maps also tends to send people through express lanes rather than cash lanes so I'm sure people are getting unexpected bills in the mail when they were told to avoid the toll plazas.

US 89

US 89 is now a fully 6-lane freeway from I-15 all the way up to just short of I-84 in Davis County, UT.

UT US89 397 405

mrsman

Thank you all for making such an informative and complete list and mapping.  This is a great resource.

JREwing78

I-94 in Kalamazoo, MI is now 6 lanes between US-131 and Sprinkle Rd.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TheStranger

Just noticed that the Jamboree Road freeway in Irvine (between the end of Route 261 and Barranca Parkway) is not marked yet on the 6 lane map, but from a quick Google satellite image view, is actually 8 lanes in its entire run!  (261 itself however is primarily 5 lanes, with 3 northbound and 2 southbound for much of its length)
Chris Sampang

oscar

Quote from: TheStranger on October 18, 2023, 02:33:14 AM
Just noticed that the Jamboree Road freeway in Irvine (between the end of Route 261 and Barranca Parkway) is not marked yet on the 6 lane map, but from a quick Google satellite image view, is actually 8 lanes in its entire run!  (261 itself however is primarily 5 lanes, with 3 northbound and 2 southbound for much of its length)

At first glance, it doesn't look that long to me (only about two miles long). To me, pretty borderline as an addition to Travel Mapping, even if it has a little value for TM's 6lane side project.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Avalanchez71

Six-lanes is just a recipe for speeding, reckless driving and weaving.

webny99

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 05, 2024, 10:58:07 PM

Given equivalent traffic volumes, four lanes is a much more potent recipe for speeding, reckless driving, and weaving. Saying six lanes is worse is basically ceding the entire concept of KRETP - and even then, it's still better than cramming the same volume of traffic onto a four lane roadway.

sprjus4

Quote from: webny99 on January 06, 2024, 09:18:03 AM

Given equivalent traffic volumes, four lanes is a much more potent recipe for speeding, reckless driving, and weaving. Saying six lanes is worse is basically ceding the entire concept of KRETP - and even then, it's still better than cramming the same volume of traffic onto a four lane roadway.
I will say, reckless driving and weaving can exist on 6 lane, but I generally see that more when people don't understand the concept of keeping right.

It's frustrating having to switch several lanes and go lane to lane just to maintain 5-10 mph over when everyone is going the speed limit or even below in the left lanes when the right is wide open. If you're not passing anyone, move over!

That said - six lanes is far more superior than 4 lanes.

vdeane

This guy is known to be against freeway expansion across the board.  He's probably happy when traffic forces everyone to go slower.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Avalanchez71

:-D
Quote from: vdeane on January 06, 2024, 02:30:04 PM

This guy is known to be against freeway expansion across the board.  He's probably happy when traffic forces everyone to go slower.

vdeane

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 08, 2024, 10:23:43 PM
:-D
Quote from: vdeane on January 06, 2024, 02:30:04 PM

I notice you never actually bothered to refute anything I said.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.