News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Talking Crosswalks

Started by roadman65, September 15, 2021, 11:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I see that in Park City, KS a crosswalk at Broadway and 53rd Street have a talking crosswalk.  When you call for the walk icon, a small speaker tells you to wait at first, and then when the crosswalk is about to get to walk cycle it says " Now its okay to cross Broadway."
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Hobart

Normally they have these out for the blind, they're in the original 2009 MUTCD. There's another one in Estes Park, Colorado, and a few scattered around Milwaukee, near streets busy enough to not have the walk sign be automatic.

It's weird that they worded it like that though, I remember seeing a guidance in the regulation that it's not supposed to say it's okay to cross something. The example they explicitly said to avoid is something like, "Cross Broadway Now," which leads to weird wording such as "Walk sign is on to cross Broadway".

Do the ones in Park City also make the clicking noises so the blind can find them?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

jakeroot

I've been seeing these around the Seattle region for a while now. Not in timed areas, of course, as it would get quite annoying, but definitely actuated intersections.

From around six years ago, this earlier one only announced the street names when you pushed the button (see the end of the video). The most recent installs that I've seen announce the crossing phase as it begins:

https://youtu.be/Yk4m574Bi-o

SkyPesos

Those exist here in West Lafayette too. For sone reason, I like them.

Scott5114

Standard equipment in Norman. When they're not in use, they make a pinging noise. Press the button and it says "Wait! Wait!" until the sign changes, then you get "Walk sign is on".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Great Lakes Roads

They exist now in La Porte, and I like them a lot!

Skye

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 16, 2021, 02:11:42 AM
Standard equipment in Norman. When they're not in use, they make a pinging noise. Press the button and it says "Wait! Wait!" until the sign changes, then you get "Walk sign is on".
That's the way they are in Greater Cincinnati. I think many (if not all) new Walk lights are getting them.

index

I've only ever saw these in British Columbia. We have nothing of the sort here.
Although the AppalCART buses have something similar in regards to accessibility.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Rothman

There are a couple of talking ped signals in Syracuse, NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ned Weasel

The pedestrian signals on 159th Street across US 69 in Overland Park, Kansas have these.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

SectorZ

Massachusetts has some that talk, and a lot that just repeatedly say "walk" (at the same matching cadence as a certain Frankie Valli tune).

Usually hearing them stopped while cycling, most of the talking ones border on very difficult to understand what they're saying. Must be relying on the trope that blind people's other senses get much better.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on September 17, 2021, 08:28:42 AM
Massachusetts has some that talk, and a lot that just repeatedly say "walk" (at the same matching cadence as a certain Frankie Valli tune).

I've walked extensively in a 5-7 mile radius outside my house (you've seen it, but I don't want to share it publicly since it reveals my location), and I haven't encountered any talking crosswalks, although I typically don't press pushbuttons. The ones at UMass Lowell say "wait" when the button is pressed (including if it's pressed more than once, which does nothing), and they make some kind of chirping sound when it's time to walk. Of note is that the ones at UMass Lowell also have a red dot indicator to tell you that it's already been pressed, while the other ones I encounter don't. Are the talking ones you're referring to closer to Boston?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

US 89

We have a few of these around Atlanta. They'll say "WAIT"  every time you hit the button when the light is red. When the ped signal changes, it says something along the lines of "TENTH STREET. WALK SIGN IS ON TO CROSS TENTH STREET."  and repeats it as long as the walk sign is on. It then beeps every second during the countdown phase.

I haven't encountered any talking crosswalks in SLC, but they do make different noises during the walk sign depending on what direction you're crossing. If you're crossing an east-west street, it will make a bird chirping sound, but crossing a north-south street gives you a cuckoo type noise instead.

I also feel like I've been somewhere else where those sounds were reversed... but I have no idea where it was. Nashville, maybe?

jay8g

Wait, are these really that uncommon? In my understanding, these accessible pedestrian signal PPBs are required by the ADA for all new/upgraded signals (regardless of whether they are actuated or on recall), and have been for many years now. I know all too well that many DOTs ignore ADA requirements until they get sued, but I'd think that by this point, they would still be fairly common.

The first time I saw these was in Portland, probably in the mid 00s. Seattle has also been using them since the late 00s, though not consistently until the last 5 years or so.

The main two manufacturers are Polara (the most common model locally is an older version of the Polara design), and Campbell (their units always feel super cheap, and the audio quality is quite bad on these compared to the Polaras, which are normally reasonably clear). There are also some older versions that I've seen occasionally which look more like traditional "white box" PPBs -- not sure if any of them are still in production.

There are (at least) three main audio modes for these -- talking, chirping (rarely used these days, and which sounds somewhat like the old overhead-mounted style), and "rapid tick" (which I always think sounds like a machine gun). If I understand correctly, the non-talking sounds are only supposed to be used when the PPBs are mounted at some distance (10 feet?) apart, with the talking mode required when they're closer together. They also have a quieter "locator tone" when not in use (so that blind people can find them), and on many of them, if you hold the button for a longer time, some sort of additional information will play (normally "wait to cross [street] at [cross street]".

The reason that these are used rather than the overhead, ped-head-mounted boxes is that the PPBs have functions intended to help people who are both deaf and blind -- that's why they always have a raised arrow somewhere on them, and the button is supposed to vibrate when the walk sign is on.

The fact that these are intended to be used even on non-actuated signals caused a lot of stupid controversy around here a few years back, when Seattle started installing these in pedestrian-heavy areas where the signals are always on recall. Pedestrian activists apparently think it's below them to have to push a button :rolleyes:, and thought that the new APS PPBs were being installed because the signals were going to be actuated. So there was a whole big controversy, when they were really just being installed to help blind people (and be ADA compliant). I suspect this isn't just a Seattle thing, since the proposed MUTCD includes a sign for PPBs to say that they're only there for accessibility features -- seems silly that we need something like that, but whatever.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on September 17, 2021, 08:53:10 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on September 17, 2021, 08:28:42 AM
[...] Are the talking ones you're referring to closer to Boston?

Yup, mostly inside 128 in the close north and west suburbs.

Rothman

Quote from: jay8g on September 19, 2021, 03:19:20 AM
Wait, are these really that uncommon? In my understanding, these accessible pedestrian signal PPBs are required by the ADA for all new/upgraded signals (regardless of whether they are actuated or on recall), and have been for many years now. I know all too well that many DOTs ignore ADA requirements until they get sued, but I'd think that by this point, they would still be fairly common.

The first time I saw these was in Portland, probably in the mid 00s. Seattle has also been using them since the late 00s, though not consistently until the last 5 years or so.

The main two manufacturers are Polara (the most common model locally is an older version of the Polara design), and Campbell (their units always feel super cheap, and the audio quality is quite bad on these compared to the Polaras, which are normally reasonably clear). There are also some older versions that I've seen occasionally which look more like traditional "white box" PPBs -- not sure if any of them are still in production.

There are (at least) three main audio modes for these -- talking, chirping (rarely used these days, and which sounds somewhat like the old overhead-mounted style), and "rapid tick" (which I always think sounds like a machine gun). If I understand correctly, the non-talking sounds are only supposed to be used when the PPBs are mounted at some distance (10 feet?) apart, with the talking mode required when they're closer together. They also have a quieter "locator tone" when not in use (so that blind people can find them), and on many of them, if you hold the button for a longer time, some sort of additional information will play (normally "wait to cross [street] at [cross street]".

The reason that these are used rather than the overhead, ped-head-mounted boxes is that the PPBs have functions intended to help people who are both deaf and blind -- that's why they always have a raised arrow somewhere on them, and the button is supposed to vibrate when the walk sign is on.

The fact that these are intended to be used even on non-actuated signals caused a lot of stupid controversy around here a few years back, when Seattle started installing these in pedestrian-heavy areas where the signals are always on recall. Pedestrian activists apparently think it's below them to have to push a button :rolleyes:, and thought that the new APS PPBs were being installed because the signals were going to be actuated. So there was a whole big controversy, when they were really just being installed to help blind people (and be ADA compliant). I suspect this isn't just a Seattle thing, since the proposed MUTCD includes a sign for PPBs to say that they're only there for accessibility features -- seems silly that we need something like that, but whatever.
I really doubt a lot of DOTs ignore ADA until they are sued.

NYSDOT incorporates ADA compliance into every paving job it does.

That said, there are so many ADA noncompliant locations that there are still many that need to be addressed after all these years, but ADA is still incorporated into every paving project where funds flow through NYSDOT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

epzik8

Maryland only has "wait" followed by a chirping noise when your phase comes up.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jakeroot

Quote from: jay8g on September 19, 2021, 03:19:20 AM

I remember when that happened. I can understand the confusion since PPBs have always been relegated to actuated signals, but the additional ADA tools have made it such that those PPBs need to be used everywhere. Tacoma has started installing them in some timed regions. It is pretty funny to watch people hit them repeatedly when I know they are timed (at least once I leaned over and to let someone know, and they just shrugged since they were taught to hit them).

It is disappointing that there is no alternative design for timed intersections, but it doesn't seem like there would be much of any advantage to such an alternative design. After all, if you design for all situations, it works for everyone, even if it invites unnecessary touching.

ErmineNotyours

Unnecessary actuators may be behind the trend of anti-car commenters calling them "beg buttons," which is an especially stupid term for anyone who actually knows anything about traffic control.

I found this errant audio a few years ago.  It was uninstalled shortly afterwards, instead of fixing the audio.  It's not a particularly busy road.

KEK Inc.

There's a traffic light in north Seattle where the road actuation doesn't work after 9 PM, so I always run out and press the pedestrian signal to trigger the light.
Take the road less traveled.

jemacedo9

Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2021, 10:12:53 AM
We have a few of these around Atlanta. They'll say "WAIT"  every time you hit the button when the light is red. When the ped signal changes, it says something along the lines of "TENTH STREET. WALK SIGN IS ON TO CROSS TENTH STREET."  and repeats it as long as the walk sign is on. It then beeps every second during the countdown phase.

Indiana PA is the birthplace of actor Jimmy Stewart.

His childhood home is new the western intersection of PA 286 and PA 954 - Philadelphia St at 9th St - which is also near the Jimmy Stewart Museum.

The walk signal there uses Jimmy Stewart's voice (or at least an impersonation of it).

MCRoads

I am legally blind (20/200 corrected vision), so I really appreciate these. However, DOTs, Cities, and Counties seem to want to use the cheapest option, and so sometimes they just have 1 tone for if either cross-street has the walk. I can see we'll enough that it isn't an issue for me, but this could be a serious issue for person's with almost no vision. The NFB (Nat. Foundation for the Blind) wants these (and the actual talking ones) removed, as it can cause confusion about when it is ok to cross, and stops the blind from relying on the sound of vehicles in the intersection as a cue to cross. Just an interesting tidbit about these.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

KCRoadFan

I've seen some where, during the countdown phase, the numbers are spoken as well. (I wonder - are there any such signals near Cape Canaveral, Florida, where the engineer programmed them to say "Liftoff!" at the end of the cycle? That would be funny...)

Amtrakprod

Pretty cool I think.

We have one in my town:

"Wait to cross Mystic street, at Mass Avenue. Wait"

"Mystic Street, walk sign is on to cross Mystic street" .

I like it !

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Max Rockatansky

I'm just disappointed crosswalks still don't sound like they did in Blade Runner:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.