News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hwy 190 from Copperas Cove to Belton to be renamed I-14

Started by longhorn, December 11, 2013, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhorn

http://www.kxxv.com/story/23902696/local-cities-want-to-turn-us-highway-190-into-an-interstate

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-014.html

In essence following what they are doing with I-69 through Texas. The group of cities and congressmen met last night to fast trak this. With 190 serving Ft. Hood it is expected to move quickly.

lamsalfl

Devastating for my hopes of a route from Austin-Alexandria-Natchez-eastward

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

If the "need" an I-number, then wouldn't I-335 or some such thing work better?

I say need in quotes as not every flipping freeway needs an I-number.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Henry

I could see this connecting to US 290, and eventually ending in Houston. But then, what would become of the previously proposed I-14 further east? (I-18 is the other unused number available, but I suspect they'd be forced to go with it if I-14 does go to Houston instead of staying north of it.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US81

I agree with Brandon, Copperas Cove to Belton is such a short distance (25mi), it should be a 3di.

Maybe we can still hope for I-14 to be Austin-Alexandria-Natchez "Gulf Coast Strategic Highway"...maybe....

NE2

Looking at the Texas Trunk System map, the most likely eastern extension would be US 190 to College Station (though they might go more directly to Hearne), then SH 6 and SH 249 to Houston.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

I was born in Copperas Cove but do not remember the area. My relatives all say it was like going to the end of the world. I'll have to see what they say about this one!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Contrary to the thread title, this seems to be just a dream of some local politicians and businessmen, with no apparent support so far from anyone with the power to make it happen.  It's early enough in the process to get strangled in the cradle, as it should be. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Mr. Matté

Doesn't sound like this is really "to be renamed" (at least just yet). Doesn't there have to be approval from AASHTO, et. al first?

Brandon

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 11, 2013, 01:33:26 PM
Doesn't sound like this is really "to be renamed" (at least just yet). Doesn't there have to be approval from AASHTO, et. al first?

Usually, unless you're smart enough to Shuster it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

FightingIrish

Quote from: Henry on December 11, 2013, 01:08:48 PM
I could see this connecting to US 290, and eventually ending in Houston. But then, what would become of the previously proposed I-14 further east? (I-18 is the other unused number available, but I suspect they'd be forced to go with it if I-14 does go to Houston instead of staying north of it.)

The proposed eastern I-14 is so far a dream, and has a counterpart, the proposed I-3 in Georgia, which will likely never be built. I-14 has a slightly better chance, and also has the advantage of available corridors, military installations and use as a potential hurricane evacuation route. Still, it will be a long time before it will be built, if at all.

However, if the eastern I-14 gets up and going, one proposed routing extends into Texas along the US 190 corridor, so who knows?

http://www.gulfcoaststrategichighway.org/Artwork%20GC/i14%20map%2012.8.pdf

http://www.gulfcoaststrategichighway.org/Texas.html

As for US 190 as a stand-alone interstate, I can't see AASHTO going for a 2di on this thing. At least I-2 and the I-69s serve a purpose as NAFTA routes. The best this road will likely get is a 3di x35 designation.

longhorn

I believe it will be fast tracked, again, one word, Fort Hood. Hwy 190 is have been expanded to 6 lanes (yes, there is that much traffic, TxDOT states at certain times of the day 190 or Centex highway is busier than I-35) between CC and Killeen. Its presently being expanded to 6 lanes through Killeen to Harker Heights. With eventually being expanded 6 lanes all way to I-35. It is already at interstate levels construction wise.

I too was shocked, I imagined an I-135, I-335, or I-535. Not I-14, had to go research that one. Didn't even know it was planned.

Alps

Quote from: oscar on December 11, 2013, 01:33:10 PM
Contrary to the thread title, this seems to be just a dream of some local politicians and businessmen, with no apparent support so far from anyone with the power to make it happen.  It's early enough in the process to get strangled in the cradle, as it should be. 
Remains to be seen. Hopefully someone along the line throws in an x35 instead.

Bobby5280

A 3-digit Interstate designation is easy to justify for the route between Belton (and I-35) through Harker Heights, Killeen, Fort Hood and Copperas Cove. However, even if you add in the "super-2" bypass currently being built around Copperas Cove the overall route is less than 30 miles in length.

Even though there are a couple other 2-digit routes in the Interstate system less than 30 miles in length, there are other corridors within Texas FAR more fitting to carry an I-14 designation than this one. I personally have always imagined I-14 being an upgrade of US-290 from Houston to Austin and then another upgrade west from Austin to I-10 near Junction. Some businesses in San Antonio might not like that since such a route might potentially be shorter in distance between Houston and El Paso than merely staying on I-10 the whole way.

I think US-290 is going to be built up in this manner eventually, whether it carries an Interstate highway designation or not. Google Earth has some brand new imagery (dated Oct. 30) that shows some clearing work for a 2 mile extension of the US-290 freeway in Austin from its current end at Joe Tanner Lane to the ACC Pinnacle Campus. The road is getting upgraded bit by bit.

Getting back to the topic, yes, it would make more sense to call this Fort Hood highway something like I-135, 335, etc.

djlynch

The work in southwest Austin isn't an upgrade to freeway, because TxDOT hasn't been able to come up with the money to build it. It consists of two continuous flow intersections (at William Cannon and SH 71) and some doubling of left turn lanes. http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/austin/us290-intersections.html

I don't see 290 getting an upgrade west of suburban Austin, given TxDOT's finances. Bypassing Johnson City and Fredericksburg requires finding a way through/around some rough terrain (especially if they want to eliminate the jog/concurrency at US 281) and there's no way to widen the ROW through Hye, Stonewall, or Harper without obliterating the towns, which may require a new alignment.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: djlynch on January 18, 2014, 03:54:41 AM
The work in southwest Austin isn't an upgrade to freeway, because TxDOT hasn't been able to come up with the money to build it. It consists of two continuous flow intersections (at William Cannon and SH 71) and some doubling of left turn lanes. http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/austin/us290-intersections.html

I don't see 290 getting an upgrade west of suburban Austin, given TxDOT's finances. Bypassing Johnson City and Fredericksburg requires finding a way through/around some rough terrain (especially if they want to eliminate the jog/concurrency at US 281) and there's no way to widen the ROW through Hye, Stonewall, or Harper without obliterating the towns, which may require a new alignment.

Yeah, but.....

I understand the western Austin extension is a difficult sell, but there are miles and miles of already built interstate highways through much worse terrain (see I-17, I-70 in Colorado and I-10 from Junction, TX to almost LA). If those interstates weren't built , how would we get across the country?   It is like the old railroads or manifest destiny; make it so because the best interest of the country is at stake here. Going through Austin along TX 71 and US 290 upgraded to an interstate as a bypass for Interstate 10 is better for the common good and for shipping reasons than staying on I-10.

NE2

Going via Austin saves only 9 miles over Loop 1604...

Perfxion

Problem is that the state is crying broke. If anything, they will not do something that will cost more when the I-69 orgy is sucking funds dry. Grand Parkway construction through owned land, US290 freeway expansion, SH249 high extension, SH288 extension as well. And this is all just Houston. What money to buy, clear, and build a highway through land that would just be expensive?

Don't forget, we are in Texas, they aren't going to add a new tax for that.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

Stephane Dumas

I won't be surprised to see new regional toll agencies popping up for some future projects or TXDOT decide to build some of these projects as toll roads.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: NE2 on March 18, 2014, 02:45:15 PM
Going via Austin saves only 9 miles over Loop 1604...

Guess you haven't traveled 1604 recently. It is way outdated and far too heavily traveled to be used as a bypass.

But you are right. Why try having a bypass if all it will save is 9 miles through a traffic hell while at the same time giving two cities a much needed interstate connection if all it will save is 9 miles.  Hell, why have any bypasses. They only save a few miles and a few precious seconds so they are worthless. 

Last I checked there is a 12 mile difference between Interstates 35W and 35E in Texas and 1 mile difference between Interstates 35W and 35E in Minnesota. I think we should bulldoze the shorter of the two in each case since such a small difference in mileage would be a waste to have a bypass

NE2

US 41

Apparently this is the big idea.

Alabama should probably make the I-85 westward extension I-14.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

NE2

I hope they put I-14 signs on I-10 west of Iraan.

(PS: a separate freeway paralleling I-10 between Iraan and Sonora is ducking fumb.)

US 41

I-14 would most likely end at I-10 near Iraan. You never know though. When I-73 was being discussed in Michigan I heard they wanted to sign it with I-75 from Grayling to Sue St. Marie. I think I-73 was going to run up US 127. There could be a possibility of I-14 making it all the way to El Paso as shown on this map.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.