News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-35 Expansion in Temple Texas

Started by longhorn, November 26, 2014, 02:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhorn

To put it simply it will be horrible. Particular replacing the elevated viaduct just past loop 360 and the Adams interchange.

http://www.my35.org/central/downloads.htm

I am sure the engineers will figure out how to replace the elevated section with a semi trench while keeping traffic flowing on one of the most congested stretches of interstate. But the Adams interchange, which is one of the busiest in the city will necessitate a complete shut down of the interchange until the new one opens, will be interesting how this plays out.

An aside point, I have been impressed with the speed of construction this project from Hillsboro to Salado has taken. By next summer the majority of I-35 will go from a four lane pavement freeway built in the 50s and 60s to a nice wide right of way, 6 lane freeway. With 20/20 hindsight, they should aimed for an 8 lane freeway with the amount of truck traffic on this interstate.

robbones

I will be glad when it's all finished.

MaxConcrete

That's interesting to know that the elevated structure will be removed. Obviously the west side will be built first in the trench, traffic will be shifted, and then the elevated structure will be demolished. I don't think that will be disruptive, but the work at Adams will be difficult for locals.

Here is a photo I took in August of the cleared right of way for the expansion. The elevated structure is living on borrowed time.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

dfwmapper

Quote from: longhorn on November 26, 2014, 02:22:38 PM
An aside point, I have been impressed with the speed of construction this project from Hillsboro to Salado has taken. By next summer the majority of I-35 will go from a four lane pavement freeway built in the 50s and 60s to a nice wide right of way, 6 lane freeway. With 20/20 hindsight, they should aimed for an 8 lane freeway with the amount of truck traffic on this interstate.
I believe everything in the Waco district (Bell, McLennan, and Hill counties) is being built to easily accommodate a 4th lane in each direction with minimal disruption. The overpasses are already wide enough and just have barriers blocking off some of the shoulder, and the rest has sufficient space between the freeway and frontage road to hold another lane. In Williamson County, it will require a lot of bridge work because none of them were built to handle an extra lane.

SquonkHunter

Quote from: longhorn on November 26, 2014, 02:22:38 PM
...An aside point, I have been impressed with the speed of construction this project from Hillsboro to Salado has taken. By next summer the majority of I-35 will go from a four lane pavement freeway built in the 50s and 60s to a nice wide right of way, 6 lane freeway. With 20/20 hindsight, they should aimed for an 8 lane freeway with the amount of truck traffic on this interstate...

You are right about the newly completed sections. They are fantastic. 30 years late in coming but a really great finished product that appears to have been built to last. A different world altogether compared to the original late 50s to early 60s sections it is replacing.

adventurernumber1

I am rather surprised I-35 wasn't built as completely six lanes or more from DFW to San Antonio in the first place, since that must be a very highly traveled route, and a lot of that also has to do with all the large/decent-sized cities along the path. From Austin (which is within the top 20 most populated cities in the USA), to Waco to Temple and more. But I'm glad they're trying to fix that up some now. Seems like a complicated process in this situation, but I'm sure the widening is long needed.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

dfwmapper

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on November 28, 2014, 01:07:42 AM
I am rather surprised I-35 wasn't built as completely six lanes or more from DFW to San Antonio in the first place, since that must be a very highly traveled route, and a lot of that also has to do with all the large/decent-sized cities along the path. From Austin (which is within the top 20 most populated cities in the USA), to Waco to Temple and more. But I'm glad they're trying to fix that up some now. Seems like a complicated process in this situation, but I'm sure the widening is long needed.
The population of the San Antonio to DFW Metroplex corridor has about tripled since I-35 was planned and built in the late 50s/early 60s. No way that level of growth could have been predicted.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.