News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-35 Question

Started by dariusb, February 17, 2012, 03:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

crazy driving into DT on the weekends.  Locals always use Mopac on the weekends.

DevalDragon

When I moved to Texas in 1992, they were still talking and planning about widening I-35 to three lanes thru Bell and McLennan Counties. The third lane ended at exit 253 (Old Settlers / FM3406 in Round Rock), then a third lane through Belton and part of Temple (293 - 200 (US 190 - Route 340/2 lane Bridge), then in Waco from 333 to 340. (Valley Mills to Craven Ave). The third lane in Waco from Route 6 to Loop 340 was under construction from before I moved there in 1992 and finished in 1995 - it averaged 1 year per mile to add a third lane with that project.

Since then, the third lane has been added for the entire length of Williamson County, the main lanes rebuilt (but only with 2 lanes) between Abbott and Hillsboro and the interchange in Hillsboro with I35, I35E and I35W has been completely rebuilt. On my last trip between Dallas and Austin last month, they have begun the prep work to add a third lane between Hillsboro and Waco.

From my experiences dealing with the Waco division of TxDot, they do not work very fast on anything.

Grzrd

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 17, 2012, 05:14:54 AM
Austin (which has a double-deck segment which is severely congested and cannot be widened)

This TV video report indicates that TxDOT recently awarded $1.2 million for a study of short-term solutions to Austin's traffic problems. One solution being considered is to re-stripe the upper deck to accomodate more traffic:

For years there's been plenty of talk about how to keep traffic moving on I-35. That's why two years ago, the City of Austin put $1 million towards an I-35 Corridor Development Program. The Texas Department of Transportation added another $ 1 million in February, focusing on how to improve nearly 30 miles of interstate.
To truly fix the traffic problem that is I-35 would take an investment of billions. In the meantime, the City of Austin is focusing on smaller, more affordable projects drivers could see sooner.
"They have the ability to make some significant difference," said Gary Schatz with Austin's Transportation Department, the office responsible for narrowing down more than 300 submitted ideas for traffic relief.
Top picks start with signs. Notifying travelers of oncoming congestion could let them better use alternate routes. Road fixes start with potential toll lanes from William Cannon to Highway 183. Officials also want to re-stripe I-35's upper deck to hold more cars. Both fixes come without any serious construction.
"You really don't see the improvement in the deep heart of the peak hours," explained Schatz. "You see it on the shoulders of the peak hours, the minutes and hours before, the minutes and hours after."....

texaskdog

The joke in town is that any idiot could have told them what is wrong with I-35 for far less than $1.2 million 

kphoger

Quote from: Grzrd on March 25, 2012, 09:03:52 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on February 17, 2012, 05:14:54 AM
Austin (which has a double-deck segment which is severely congested and cannot be widened)

This TV video report indicates that TxDOT recently awarded $1.2 million for a study of short-term solutions to Austin's traffic problems. One solution being considered is to re-stripe the upper deck to accomodate more traffic:

For years there's been plenty of talk about how to keep traffic moving on I-35. That's why two years ago, the City of Austin put $1 million towards an I-35 Corridor Development Program. The Texas Department of Transportation added another $ 1 million in February, focusing on how to improve nearly 30 miles of interstate.
To truly fix the traffic problem that is I-35 would take an investment of billions. In the meantime, the City of Austin is focusing on smaller, more affordable projects drivers could see sooner.
"They have the ability to make some significant difference," said Gary Schatz with Austin's Transportation Department, the office responsible for narrowing down more than 300 submitted ideas for traffic relief.
Top picks start with signs. Notifying travelers of oncoming congestion could let them better use alternate routes. Road fixes start with potential toll lanes from William Cannon to Highway 183. Officials also want to re-stripe I-35's upper deck to hold more cars. Both fixes come without any serious construction.
"You really don't see the improvement in the deep heart of the peak hours," explained Schatz. "You see it on the shoulders of the peak hours, the minutes and hours before, the minutes and hours after."....

Forgive me for not watching the video:  I'm at work.  But is it just me, or wouldn't adding a lane to the upper decks of I-35 leave zero room for breakdowns?  Here in Wichita, the canal route has nearly zero left shoulder space, but there's enough room on the right for breakdowns and traffic stops.  I just don't see that kind of space available on the roadway in Austin; otherwise, wouldn't it already be striped for more traffic?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Grzrd

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.