News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Potential Plans for I-71/I-480/SR-237 area around Hopkins Airport.

Started by thenetwork, May 01, 2024, 05:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Plans have already been in the works for a total rebuild of landlocked Cleveland Hopkins Airport (CLE), which may totally transform the freeways that border the airport to the north and east within the next 20 ± years.

Now there is a proposal which may see the Cleveland Browns relocate to a domed stadium within the next 5 years just east of CLE on much of the former Ford Plant property in Brook Park.

Either or both of these plans of redesigning SR-237, I-71, I-480 and Snow Road, along with the interchanges between them.

A partial plan showing redesign of at least the Snow Road corridor has been released today, which will also affect the current interchanges woth SR-237 and I-71.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/kXZVMiPvnubQJeBM/?mibextid=GqhPTb

The Ghostbuster

Can you provide the text listed in the Facebook story? I don't have an account, and you would need an account to access it. Or can the plans be accessed somewhere else within the internet?

thenetwork

Had to find a link that also showed the changes potential infrastructure.

https://neo-trans.blog/2024/05/01/brook-park-stadium-rendering-confirmed-real/

Based on what I see:

1) The current SR-237 Airport Freeway will be rerouted at Snow Road to the east and around the proposed stadium site via SR-291/Engle Road returning west along SR-17/Brookpark Road back to Rocky River Drive, where SR-237 returns to it's Northern trek towards Lakewood.

2) Public access to the rebuilt CLE terminal will only come from the north from the current Brookpark Road/I-71/I-480 ramps

3) The I-71/Snow Road/Engle Road interchanges would be re-designed.

Getting the new roadways done in 4-5 years would be a huge task,  but on paper, this would look like a win-win for both airport and stadium access. Plus Brook Park would recoup the tax revenue lost when Ford closed Two of its three plants in that area.

However the City of Cleveland being Cleveland...They want to keep the current or refurbished stadium out of Brook Park completely and keep it down at the lakeshore.

Regardless if the Browns move to a Brook Park stadium or not, this proposed road grid may become the future gateway to CLE.

triplemultiplex

I dunno how I feel about this.  The lakefront is a pretty sweet location for any venue, but at least this is both a brownfield redevelopment and adjacent to existing transit.
Between this and the Bears and whatever might be cooking behind the scenes to replace Ralph Wilson Stadium (or whatever it's called now) in Buffalo, we're running out of cold weather NFL venues.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thenetwork

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 02, 2024, 03:12:45 PM

I dunno how I feel about this.  The lakefront is a pretty sweet location for any venue, but at least this is both a brownfield redevelopment and adjacent to existing transit.
Between this and the Bears and whatever might be cooking behind the scenes to replace Ralph Wilson Stadium (or whatever it's called now) in Buffalo, we're running out of cold weather NFL venues.

They are in the process of tearing down what was the only on-site airport hotel, which has been a dump for the last 10+ years, and there really isn't any newer decent lodging options near the airport nor the adjacent IX (convention) Center as they currently stand. The new stadium area as proposed would bring an additional hotel or two by the airport/IX, extra overflow (cheaper) parking options and could lure an airline or two to CLE as a major hub again.  They were one of Continental's larger hubs until they were absorbed by United, then they bailed.

The lack of additional decent direct highway connections from the west and south to CLE could be addressed in Hopkins' Master plan.  I'm not sure if this stadium plan is the only one to date that suggests a reroute of SR-237, or if that is in the airport's current plans as well.

Overall the proposed highway rebuilds look  promising with or without a stadium.

Stephane Dumas

JREwing78

There may be logistical benefits to this move, but pulling the stadium out of downtown would be a major blow just as Cleveland has made major strides in making downtown a destination. Not to mention, with the extra costs involved in moving to Brook Park ($2.5 Billion v.s. $1.2 Billion to renovate the existing stadium), where is the benefit of the extra spending?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.