News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Funny-named towns

Started by golden eagle, June 10, 2010, 12:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

There's a Bumpass, Virginia, near Lake Anna (not too far from the epicenter of the earthquake earlier this year). The name is pronounced like "bump us," as if you told someone to hit your vehicle while parallel parking.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Potential use for these silly town names: I like to add them to the weather app on my mom's iPhone when she's not looking. The look on her face when the weather for "Bumpass, VA" comes up is just too priceless :spin:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 21, 2010, 12:19:21 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on June 21, 2010, 12:17:55 PMA couple of names which have caused me to wonder "What the hell were they thinking":

White Settlement, Texas
Villejuif, France

is White really a reference to the race, as opposed to, say, Captain Theophilus J. White's Merry Band of Explorers, Land Squatters, and Printers of Spurious Private Currency?

Yes, says Wikipedia, though originally in the sense "This is not to be confused with the Native American settlement, which is nearby," not "non-whites not welcome here."  The potential misinterpretation of "White Settlement" has already prompted an unsuccessful attempt to rename it "West Settlement."

Quoteand the French - is that "village of Jews"?  My French is pretty rusty.

Yes, that is exactly what it means.  Per Wikipedia, the origin of the name is obscure, but it dates from 1119 at least.  One theory holds that it means "estate of the Jews" while another (the more widely accepted these days) has it as "estate of Juvius" (a Gallo-Roman landowner).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hm insulators

Quote from: oscar on December 03, 2011, 06:49:37 PM
Quote from: txstateends on November 09, 2011, 04:49:08 PM
Chicken, AK

Asbestos, Quebec still lives, and I made sure to send some postcards from there when I visited back in September.

Maybe that's the inspiration for the fictional town called "Port Asbestos" on a Canadian TV program called "The Red Green Show." And all this time, I thought it was one of those "joke names" dreamed up by some TV producer.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

hm insulators

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 04, 2011, 09:30:57 AM
There's a Bumpass, Virginia, near Lake Anna (not too far from the epicenter of the earthquake earlier this year). The name is pronounced like "bump us," as if you told someone to hit your vehicle while parallel parking.

There's also a Bumpass Hell in California. It's not a town but a spot in Lassen Volcanic National Park.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

bassoon1986

Quote from: Brian556 on November 12, 2011, 10:48:42 PM
Belcherville, TX. Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh!

And a plain ole Belcher in Louisiana. the new I 49 will have it as an exit i think

Takumi

Goose Pimple Junction, VA
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Ian

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 13, 2011, 11:02:58 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on November 12, 2011, 10:48:42 PM
Belcherville, TX. Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhh!

And a plain ole Belcher in Louisiana. the new I 49 will have it as an exit i think

That reminds me! I passed right near Belchertown, Massachusetts on Wednesday.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

empirestate

Every time I see the control cities for Dumas and Pampa from I-40 in Amarillo, I remember my friend's comment..."What is a Dumb-ass Pampa, anyway?"

hobsini2

My favorite city name is What Cheer IA (east of DSM on I-80). Sidenote - Favorite high school nickname (also happens to be my fantasy football team's name) is Hooker Horny Toads in Hooker OK.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

empirestate

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 31, 2011, 07:50:04 PM
My favorite city name is What Cheer IA (east of DSM on I-80). Sidenote - Favorite high school nickname (also happens to be my fantasy football team's name) is Hooker Horny Toads in Hooker OK.

I'm in Hershey as we speak...I'm not even going to mention what I think their Little League team should be named...

kphoger

Wow, I can't believe NONE of the ones I came up with had been mentioned yet!

French Lick, Indiana
Notrees, Texas
Circleback, Texas
Funk, Nebraska
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico (Seriously, have I missed something, did NOBODY mention this one?)

By the way, the town of Hooker (OK) has/had a business named "Hooker Hardware Co."  I guess in case she breaks!  :-D :happy: :clap:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on January 06, 2012, 01:44:25 PM
Wow, I can't believe NONE of the ones I came up with had been mentioned yet!

French Lick, Indiana
Notrees, Texas
Circleback, Texas
Funk, Nebraska
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico (Seriously, have I missed something, did NOBODY mention this one?)

By the way, the town of Hooker (OK) has/had a business named "Hooker Hardware Co."  I guess in case she breaks!  :-D :happy: :clap:
I completely forgot Funk, NE even though I have driven thru there.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

nyratk1

Quote from: Duke87 on June 10, 2010, 12:37:35 PM
Pennsylvania is the king of funny-named towns. Too many to name. Effort, Kunkletown, Moon, Pillow, Lititz, Gaskill, Jersey Shore, Eighty Four...

As for other states, there's Tuckahoe, NY and Cockeysville, MD

There's two Tuckahoes - one in Westchester County and one that's out in Suffolk County in the Hamptons.

As for LI locations, I think people would find Hicksville, Islip (eye-slip) and Speonk funny (spee-ahnk).

empirestate

^^^I'd laugh at Yaphank a lot sooner than I would at Hicksville.  :-D (I guess since I've known a few people with the surname "Hicks", my mind just goes there first.)

Speaking of Long Island, you also have such gems as Aquebogue and Arshamonaque. And somebody please, there's Quogue, and then next door there's...Qioque? or Quiogue? I've seen both spellings within the same article on the place!

nyratk1

Quote from: empirestate on January 18, 2012, 11:12:07 AM
^^^I'd laugh at Yaphank a lot sooner than I would at Hicksville.  :-D (I guess since I've known a few people with the surname "Hicks", my mind just goes there first.)

Speaking of Long Island, you also have such gems as Aquebogue and Arshamonaque. And somebody please, there's Quogue, and then next door there's...Qioque? or Quiogue? I've seen both spellings within the same article on the place!

Road signs on Montauk Highway say Quiogue.

And I guess living just right next to Yaphank has desensitized me. :(

hobsini2

I noticed no one has mentioned "Big Ugly WV" in Lincoln County.

webfil

I just found out that Saint-Léonard borough in Montréal used to bear the name Municipalité de la Paroisse de Saint-Léonard-de-Port-Maurice from the 1850s until 1962, when I-don't-know-who found out that Cité de Saint-Léonard (City of Saint-Léonard) was sufficient.

This 55 character length is comparable to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch...

djsinco

Quote from: corco on June 10, 2010, 02:22:23 AM
Lewiston, Idaho.

I'll let you all figure that one out

It is across the river from Clarkston, WA, for context.
3 million miles and counting

agentsteel53

Quote from: djsinco on February 25, 2013, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: corco on June 10, 2010, 02:22:23 AM
Lewiston, Idaho.

I'll let you all figure that one out

It is across the river from Clarkston, WA, for context.

why is that funny?  seems like a perfectly reasonable historic naming.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

I honestly can't remember why I said that was a funny-named town 2.5 years ago. There's a non-zero chance I was joking.

NE2

Joliet and Romeoville hurr hurr
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

KEVIN_224

Other than Lewis and Clark, I'm stumped. The twin city/town of Lewiston, Maine is Auburn for comparison.

I know there's a town called Intercourse, PA.

Connecticut has Cockaponsett State Forest, either in eastern New Haven or western Middlesex County.

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on February 25, 2013, 03:48:30 PM
Joliet and Romeoville hurr hurr

Joliet was originally called Juliet.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.