News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why does the NYS Thruway not sign for Rochester and Syracuse?

Started by James, August 26, 2022, 10:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2023, 11:20:59 PM
Well, we are all agreed then.  Battle Creek should never be a control city.
Problem isn't what shouldn't be, problem is what should be used. Is Albany and Buffalo ok, or it should be Boston and  Chicago anywhere between those two?

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 23, 2023, 04:28:05 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2023, 11:19:52 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 06:29:13 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 06:26:29 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 06:25:46 PM
College sports should have nothing to do with it. The city of Syracuse would be less well known by outsiders but just as important if the university there didn't share a name with the city.
Flint was bringing up cereal, I can bring up college sports. And having a major university does matter in terms of fame.
Well Kellogg's is a pretty well known brand. Probably more well known than Syracuse University.
The city's name ain't Kellogg, though.
You learn this stuff in school. It doesn't have to be the city name, it's pretty well known that Kellogg's is from Battle Creek.
Michiganders, maybe.  No one else does.  Scratch Battle Creek off the BGSes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on February 23, 2023, 06:58:53 AM
College sports should have nothing to do with it. The city of Syracuse would be less well known by outsiders but just as important if the university there didn't share a name with the city.
Flint was bringing up cereal, I can bring up college sports. And having a major university does matter in terms of fame.
Well Kellogg's is a pretty well known brand. Probably more well known than Syracuse University.
You learn this stuff in school. It doesn't have to be the city name, it's pretty well known that Kellogg's is from Battle Creek.
It's known more than to just Michiganians.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 23, 2023, 07:28:37 AM

I.E. those who enjoy cereal.

kalvado

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 23, 2023, 07:40:49 AM

Nothing better than some iron shavings in the morning!

vdeane

Maybe Michigan takes pride in having the HQ of a major cereal brand, but I'm guessing the rest of the nation has an attitude more along the lines of "who cares?".  I know I certainly don't know where the companies that make many of the products I buy are headquartered.

I learned all about the Iroquois and Erie Canal in school, should I expect that knowledge to be nationwide?  Seems more relevant to the curriculum than "hey look, a small city in our state is the HQ of a major cereal company!".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

I still don't think that Flint gets that probably 99.9% of Kellogg's customers know that the cereal is from Battle Creek. Maybe Michiganers know it, but a random person who buys cereal who lives in California won't. Heck, I didn't know that Kellogg's was from Battle Creek and I'm generally good at this kind of stuff.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on February 23, 2023, 01:00:03 PM
Maybe Michigan takes pride in having the HQ of a major cereal brand, but I'm guessing the rest of the nation has an attitude more along the lines of "who cares?".  I know I certainly don't know where the companies that make many of the products I buy are headquartered.

I learned all about the Iroquois and Erie Canal in school, should I expect that knowledge to be nationwide?  Seems more relevant to the curriculum than "hey look, a small city in our state is the HQ of a major cereal company!".
Of course people do know about large local employers. Because
a friend or relative may work for one of those.  Of course there is some travel from and to those big businesses. Of course effect reduces beyond normal commute distance andmore so beyond business driving trip distance.
Until, of course, we are talking about Bentonville AR , which will be known in airports all over the place.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kalvado on February 23, 2023, 01:11:59 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 23, 2023, 01:00:03 PM

Of course people do know about large local employers. Because
a friend or relative may work for one of those.  Of course there is some travel from and to those big businesses. Of course effect reduces beyond normal commute distance andmore so beyond business driving trip distance.
Until, of course, we are talking about Bentonville AR , which will be known in airports all over the place.
[/quote Bentonville isn't signed on I-49 south in Missouri. In fact they skip the whole region and sign Fort Smith for some reason.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Roadgeekteen

kalvado

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 23, 2023, 02:53:46 PM
Perhaps you should read this and then tell me how important Kellogg's is to Battle Creek  https://www.woodtv.com/news/calhoun-county/big-city-bigger-company-battle-creeks-long-relationship-with-kelloggs/
Even without reading it, I am positive that huge corporate headquarters is a very big deal locally. On the similar note, we do have (had?) GE locations, like receiving and visitors office signed on 3DI exits.
Question is if that is a good reason to post locality as a control city to, generally, long haul travelers who may or may not associate corporate HQ location with general geographic awareness, or being able to find that location on a map with a quick glance.
Interestingly enough, Google shows Battle Creek when you search for  "Michigan". It equally shows Syracuse and Rochester, along with Buffalo and Albany for "new york state" search. Not Binhapton or Utica, but shows Ithaca. If I were to speculate about Google algorithms,  it may be places people search for - hence correlating with  general awareness. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kalvado on February 23, 2023, 04:00:01 PM
Perhaps you should read this and then tell me how important Kellogg's is to Battle Creek  https://www.woodtv.com/news/calhoun-county/big-city-bigger-company-battle-creeks-long-relationship-with-kelloggs/
Even without reading it, I am positive that huge corporate headquarters is a very big deal locally. On the similar note, we do have (had?) GE locations, like receiving and visitors office signed on 3DI exits.
Question is if that is a good reason to post locality as a control city to, generally, long haul travelers who may or may not associate corporate HQ location with general geographic awareness, or being able to find that location on a map with a quick glance.
Interestingly enough, Google shows Battle Creek when you search for  "Michigan". It equally shows Syracuse and Rochester, along with Buffalo and Albany for "new york state" search. Not Binhapton or Utica, but shows Ithaca. If I were to speculate about Google algorithms,  it may be places people search for - hence correlating with  general awareness.
I still think that most Americans aren't aware that Kellogg's is from Battle Creek. But we are going in circles now.

Flint1979

My argument really isn't about it being a control city, it was mentioned that Battle Creek isn't well known. As far as it being a control city if I had to choose maybe I would use it but probably not considering truthfully I'd use Port Huron, Detroit and Chicago like it already is. The reason is that I-94 is the Detroit-Chicago expressway and a lot of long distance traffic on I-94 will be going to both cities. Sometimes cities become known because of highway junctions.

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 23, 2023, 07:40:49 AM

...or those that read cereal boxes' fine print.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 04:19:08 PM
I still think that most Americans aren't aware that Kellogg's is from Battle Creek. But we are going in circles now.
I'm not going to try to guess what Americans think or know.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 23, 2023, 05:20:00 PM
No need to guess.

vdeane

Did you know that General Electric was founded in Schenectady?  If not, why would I know that Kellogg's is from Battle Creek?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on February 23, 2023, 09:14:13 PM
Did you know that General Electric was founded in Schenectady?  If not, why would I know that Kellogg's is from Battle Creek?
^Bingo.  Local notoriety does not equal being famous country-wide.

sprjus4

I learned something new reading this. Otherwise, I never would've known of Battle Creek's importance.

Sorry, but not everyone knows that. It's not well known. Perhaps by someone who, you know, lives in the state?

Flint1979

Ok and we are talking Michigan control cities. A control city in Michigan doesn't have to be well known. Battle Creek has 50,000 people and a little more in outlying areas.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 01, 2023, 03:31:06 PM
Ok and we are talking Michigan control cities. A control city in Michigan doesn't have to be well known. Battle Creek has 50,000 people and a little more in outlying areas.
Going back to the NYS Thruway, Utica is bigger than Battle Creek and is not used as a control city.

kalvado

It's a big question of what control cities should be.
I am not comfortable discussing that, though, knowing @Rothman is in the thread and wasn't a subject to TSA-style cavity search.

kalvado

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 01, 2023, 03:32:35 PM
Going back to the NYS Thruway, Utica is bigger than Battle Creek and is not used as a control city.
And Battle Creek is bigger than Limon!
:ded:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.