Regional Boards > Mid-South

Austin: IH 35 rebuild

<< < (39/43) > >>

Anthony_JK:
ReThink35, who wants to convert I-35 in Austin to a four-lane boulevard. Figures.

Bobby5280:
Not only do they want to turn I-35 into a surface street. But the real scam is repurposing the former highway real estate into property on which to build more luxury housing for the upper class and global investors. That's the real motivation.

bwana39:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 18, 2023, 02:01:47 PM ---Not only do they want to turn I-35 into a surface street. But the real scam is repurposing the former highway real estate into property on which to build more luxury housing for the upper class and global investors. That's the real motivation.

--- End quote ---

Yes, this is especially notable with the Pierce Elevated section of I-45 in Houston. WIthin a decade of its removal, there will be a neat line of new high rises on the west side of Pierce.

So get rid of the highway and you create new swaths of land right in the middle of downtown.

I will add one idea. The border that the freeway creates is NOT a border that keeps the development outside the freeway from having worth. The problem is that the building outside the freeway may make the "old" part INSIDE the freeway less valuable. The developers are discouraged from creating something that you can divide somehow or another as the old and new.

Plutonic Panda:
Austin approved $15 million for design work on the freeway caps for the central project: https://www.kxan.com/traffic/traffic-projects/i-35-expansion-project/austin-approves-more-than-15m-to-kickstart-i-35-cap-and-stitch-design-work/

The Ghostbuster:
Capping the rebuilt freeway makes a lot more sense than turning Interstate 35 into a boulevard or leaving the freeway in its existing configuration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version