Regional Boards > Mid-South

Future Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge

<< < (18/20) > >>

The Ghostbuster:
Are there any proposals to build a southern bypass of Baton Rouge, or has it only been suggested here on the forum? If it is the latter, it may be a long time for such a bypass to come to fruition, if it happens at all.

rlb2024:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 22, 2023, 10:53:19 AM ---Are there any proposals to build a southern bypass of Baton Rouge, or has it only been suggested here on the forum? If it is the latter, it may be a long time for such a bypass to come to fruition, if it happens at all.

--- End quote ---
There have been discussions for years around Louisiana, but nothing firm has come out of them.

Hot Rod Hootenanny:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 22, 2023, 10:53:19 AM ---Are there any proposals to build a southern bypass of Baton Rouge, or has it only been suggested here on the forum? If it is the latter, it may be a long time for such a bypass to come to fruition, if it happens at all.

--- End quote ---

Go back to page 1 of this thread.

bwana39:

--- End quote ---

This is the answer to your question without having to read every post.

There are no proposals to build a bypass per se. There is a proposal to build a bridge somewhere between the current I-10 crossing and the the LA-70 "Sunshine" Bridge.  It would be either in Eastern Iberville Parish near Plaquemine or up toward Brusly leading to East Baton Rouge Parish. Both would be south of Baton Rouge proper.  The consultants are suggesting that  a bridge primarily for local traffic be built. The gist of the traffic flow would SEEM to be Sunshine to Baton Rouge as opposed to Sunshine to Geismer. 

At least initially, said bridge would connect to LA-30 on the eastbank and LA-1 on the west bank. Just like the discussion of the north side of Baton Rouge, expanding LA-1 to freeway would be difficult due to buildup. You should expect nothing better than a 4-6 lane divided highway with traffic signals and grade crossings or less.  DOTD suggests that down the line it MIGHT be possible to link freeways on both ends.

What this will amount to is a replacement / upgrade of the Plaquemine Ferry crossing (whether at Plaquemine or not.) There MAY be a significant financial incentive to replace the ferry. As I understand it, USACOE incentives possibly could be used to pay the state's share of the cost. In my digging, it seems that was part of the reason for the LA-10 bridge to nowhere.  Unquestionably, the Corps wants rid of the ferries.

I will add one more thing while an I-10 direct to Brusly connection looks nice on a map. Bayou Grosse Tête / Port Allen Lock IWW Canal is a connection from the Mississippi river to the Gulf Intercoastal Waterway. It would require a high crossing.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31267.msg2724395#msg2724395

Anthony_JK:

--- Quote from: bwana39 on September 23, 2023, 09:01:47 AM ---

--- End quote ---

This is the answer to your question without having to read every post.

There are no proposals to build a bypass per se. There is a proposal to build a bridge somewhere between the current I-10 crossing and the the LA-70 "Sunshine" Bridge.  It would be either in Eastern Iberville Parish near Plaquemine or up toward Brusly leading to East Baton Rouge Parish. Both would be south of Baton Rouge proper.  The consultants are suggesting that  a bridge primarily for local traffic be built. The gist of the traffic flow would SEEM to be Sunshine to Baton Rouge as opposed to Sunshine to Geismer. 

At least initially, said bridge would connect to LA-30 on the eastbank and LA-1 on the west bank. Just like the discussion of the north side of Baton Rouge, expanding LA-1 to freeway would be difficult due to buildup. You should expect nothing better than a 4-6 lane divided highway with traffic signals and grade crossings or less.  DOTD suggests that down the line it MIGHT be possible to link freeways on both ends.

What this will amount to is a replacement / upgrade of the Plaquemine Ferry crossing (whether at Plaquemine or not.) There MAY be a significant financial incentive to replace the ferry. As I understand it, USACOE incentives possibly could be used to pay the state's share of the cost. In my digging, it seems that was part of the reason for the LA-10 bridge to nowhere.  Unquestionably, the Corps wants rid of the ferries.

I will add one more thing while an I-10 direct to Brusly connection looks nice on a map. Bayou Grosse Tête / Port Allen Lock IWW Canal is a connection from the Mississippi river to the Gulf Intercoastal Waterway. It would require a high crossing.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31267.msg2724395#msg2724395

--- End quote ---
IIRC, the LADOTD has eliminated the Addis-Brusly crossing from consideration and is now pushing for a crossing just south of Plaquemine to near Gardere Lane. It would still just be arterial rather than freeway standard, and there would be no improvements to any other roadways. Other than a back door entry to LSU for football games, I fail to see the utility or the benefits.

Outside of a full freeway south bypass, there are only two other feasible options for resolving I-10/I-12 through traffic in BTR, the current construction on I-10 notwithstanding:

1) A twin span of the I-10 Mississippi River bridge tying into a double-decked "High Pass" segment between the 10/110 and 10/12 splits. Not happening because prohibitively expensive and extremely disruptive.

2) Upgrading Airline Highway (US 190/US 61) to freeway standards from west of Lobdell across the old 190 Mississippi River bridge down to south of the Airline/I-12 interchange, with connectors at either end to I-10. Main difficulties would be retrofitting a proper Interstate-grade bridge out of the old bridge, which also carries a single Union Pacific-CPKC rail line, and squeezing a 6-lane freeway with continuous access roads into the Airline Highway ROW.

Either that, or expidite finishing I-49 South from Lafayette to NOLA and make that the defacto "BTR bypass".

moto g power (2022)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version