Regional Boards > Northwest

I-5 Columbia River Crossing (OR/WA)

<< < (49/53) > >>

Bruce:
KGW has a report on the 7 interchange redesigns that are part of this megaproject: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/the-story/freeway-upgrades-interstate-bridge-replacement/283-4e883222-3674-4c75-b34d-bdfb8b2dc366

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cZZkxu_Faw
The two videos, direct from the IBR channel:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjREpn1VLw
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ci8ebkH_8

Plutonic Panda:
I’m glad they’re keeping the LRT plan. This will be one hell of a project. I can’t wait to see it break ground!

It would be nice though if they would build it with a future bullet train in mind. Not track work or anything just designed where it can be added in the future if one ever happens.

pderocco:
The narrator on that first IBR video sounded like she was singing a song. Each description of a path through the interchange had the same melody as every other, just the rhythm varied a little depending on the number of syllables.

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 06, 2023, 10:57:07 PM ---It would be nice though if they would build it with a future bullet train in mind. Not track work or anything just designed where it can be added in the future if one ever happens.

--- End quote ---

Has this been talked about in any capacity?

All my exploring in Japan, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Shinkansen share any right of way with an expressway. The two need completely different levels of engineering, it just doesn't make sense for them to come near each other except when physically necessary, which seems to be almost never.

Bruce:

--- Quote from: jakeroot on December 08, 2023, 02:20:25 AM ---
--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 06, 2023, 10:57:07 PM ---It would be nice though if they would build it with a future bullet train in mind. Not track work or anything just designed where it can be added in the future if one ever happens.

--- End quote ---

Has this been talked about in any capacity?

All my exploring in Japan, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Shinkansen share any right of way with an expressway. The two need completely different levels of engineering, it just doesn't make sense for them to come near each other except when physically necessary, which seems to be almost never.

--- End quote ---

This bridge is the wrong location for HSR and there's definitely not enough available funding to cover plans to accommodate it. The focus would be on building a replacement for the downstream BNSF crossing or finding a different route into Portland given the constraints.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version