Regional Boards > International Highways

Japan

<< < (3/20) > >>

yanksfan6129:
 :clap:

If they want to build a road, they don't think about cost or difficulty, do they? It appears that they are masters, though, at building roads around buildings (and in at least one case, through them!)

Revive 755:

--- Quote from: Chris on May 23, 2009, 10:22:51 AM ---Look at this for instance. This is that beltway, and a new interchange is being build in the yellow zone. Such things would be unthinkable of in Europe.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, the same can be said for most of the US now.

--- Quote from: Chris ---4 levels? No problem!
--- End quote ---

Boy I'd love to see that design used in a few spots of the US.

njroadhorse:
I think we could definitely take lessons from the Japanese for our urban freeways, but add some cost efficiency to it, so we're not in even more massive crumbling debt.

jakeroot:
MAXIMUM BUMP

Though I am not able to find any information on the project, I just discovered this road project in the Bunkyo Ward of Tokyo, which evidently took like twenty years to complete.

It's basically a 600-metre long four-lane street that connects two roads that previously turned at those intersections. Where the road currently runs, a ton of buildings used to stand. I made this GIF to illustrate the changes:

Google Maps Link: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7050066,139.7451413,601m/data=!3m1!1e3

You're probably thinking, "what's the big deal?" Well, that's fair. What I find interesting is that, in 1997, you can already start to see the outline of the road on the right side of the image; that section of road wouldn't open until late 2008, so this was something they had been planning for a while. But I also find it remarkable how many buildings had to be removed to build the arterial. IIRC, the value of older Japanese homes is fairly low compared to newer homes, so in time, the buildings became sufficiently low in value as to be expropriated for purposes of road construction. Nevertheless, that's a lot of buildings in the way of a road that's only 600-metres long!

Chris:
Mass expropriation for highway infrastructure is still pretty common in Asia.

A quarter of a million people had to be resettled for the construction of an expressway in Karachi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyari_Expressway_Resettlement_Project

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version