News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Broadway shows

Started by RobbieL2415, May 20, 2020, 09:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

How many have you seen? What have you seen? Did you like it?

This thread is for discussion of all things Broadway.  Why? Because COVID-19 is boring me.

Max Rockatansky

We went to see Cats on Broadway as a middle class field trip when I lived in Connecticut.  We did others too  but all I ever really recall was Cats because of how weird it was.  It really wasn't my bag although I would go to something if my wife or a friend wanted to. 

Rothman

Haven't seen any actually on Broadway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

On Broadway - Something Rotten.  The show was developed at a Broadway-style theatre in Seattle and was supposed to open here, but a NY theatre snarfed it away from Seattle and it ran there first.  So daughter and I visited NY over spring break 2016 including seeing it there, at the St. James for any of you New Yorkers.  Seattle got it as the first travelling stop.  It was a terrific show, funny lyrics, good acting.  The theatre itself was pretty but the lobby and bathrooms were undersized compared to what we're used to.

Broadway-style shows, i.e. theatres with 500+ seats, Equity actors, live music etc., probably around 60 shows in Seattle.  Some great, many very good, almost all at least good.  It is possible to get burned out, though, like the year we had season tickets to two theatres plus college and high school productions.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 20, 2020, 10:03:31 PM
We went to see Cats on Broadway as a middle class field trip when I lived in Connecticut.  We did others too  but all I ever really recall was Cats because of how weird it was.  It really wasn't my bag although I would go to something if my wife or a friend wanted to.
I remember David Letterman announcing  on his show that Cats was celebrating its 1000th performance on Broadway which marked the 1000th time a man turned to his wife and said "What the hell is this?".

At any rate I've been to a bunch of shows - usually as a gift to my wife and/or my son (and she's helping me with the list because I can't remember most of them) - Phantom of the Opera, Curtains, Never Gonna Dance (or something like that), Paramour (Cirque de Soliel), Blue Man Group (off Broadway, very good), Avenue Q (hilarious - off Broadway), Fiddler on the Roof, Lion King, Mary Poppins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, School of Rock, Hamilton (recently, good), Young Frankenstein, Miss Saigon (I think in college for "Theater Appreciation" - all I remember is a helicopter "landing" on the stage), Stomp (off Broadway, also very good).

Probably a few others I can't recall right now.  Most of the above I can barely recall seeing if at all.  We do want to see the Music Man when it comes back - I've always liked that one and I've seen it off-off-off Broadway (and of course the movie).  Also have seen the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, I think twice.

I took Theater Appreciation my senior year in college to fill a humanities course so I went to at least one on- and one off-Broadway for that class, and I'm pretty sure I had to go to one in high school.

1995hoo

The only one I've actually seen in New York is the Phantom of the Opera (original production).

In DC, at the Kennedy Center I've seen Phantom twice (original production once, new production once) and Tommy, Hairspray, the Producers, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat once each. At the National Theatre I've seen Les Miserables several times, Mamma Mia several times, and Spamalot and Jersey Boys once each. May have seen something else I'm not remembering at either of those venues.

(Edited to add the Producers. Thanks to Roadrunner75 for reminding me.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

On Broadway the only shows I've seen are Mamma Mia! and Bring in Da Noise, Bring in Da Funk

In Chicago I saw pre-Broadway previews of Aida, Movin' Out, The Producers, and Spamalot, all with the original Broadway cast

I've seen touring company productions of Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, Lion King, Cats, Les Miserables, Beauty and the Beast, Rent, Miss Siagon, Hamilton, Evita, Jekyll & Hyde and Wicked
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Scott5114

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 20, 2020, 09:49:08 PM
This thread is for discussion of all things Broadway.

OklaDOT is building a stack interchange at I-235/I-44/Broadway Extension.

Otherwise, I haven't set foot in New York, so I can't really add anything to this.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.