News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

Has anything ever happened  with the US 219 project north of 68?

TheOneKEA

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 28, 2019, 11:57:06 PM

Will anything ever happen with the US 219 bypass in Oakland?

ixnay

Is that supposed to be widening?  Dualization?  Major reconstruction?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

BrianP

Quote from: TheOneKEA on October 29, 2019, 05:58:57 AM

It doesn't look promising to me. 
Quote8/2/2019   MDOT SHA is currently evaluating the purpose and need for the US 219 Oakland project. The results of this evaluation will determine what transportation issues need to be addressed, and what strategies and solutions can be implemented to address current needs. This evaluation will be completed by Fall 2019.
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectSchedule.aspx?projectno=GA5992111
It's been stuck in a holding pattern for at least 5 years. 

BrianP

Quote10/1/2019   This project is currently at 40.2% and is expected to be totally completed by end of construction season 2020.

Construction crews recently completed installing manholes and inlets on the Northbound side of US 40 Alt. Excavation was started on the footers for the bridge on the North side of US 40 Alt.

Currently crews will be working on placing common borrow on North bound and South bound lanes, North side of US 40 Alt. excavating for retaining wall 2 will be continuing and construction for building the bridge over Us 40 Alt. will continue.

No impact to traffic at this time
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectSchedule.aspx?projectno=GA6465211

74/171FAN

Quote from: BrianP on October 29, 2019, 10:21:54 AM
Quote10/1/2019   This project is currently at 40.2% and is expected to be totally completed by end of construction season 2020.

Construction crews recently completed installing manholes and inlets on the Northbound side of US 40 Alt. Excavation was started on the footers for the bridge on the North side of US 40 Alt.

Currently crews will be working on placing common borrow on North bound and South bound lanes, North side of US 40 Alt. excavating for retaining wall 2 will be continuing and construction for building the bridge over Us 40 Alt. will continue.

No impact to traffic at this time
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectSchedule.aspx?projectno=GA6465211

I saw work on this when I drove US 219 north of I-68 in order to finish my clinch of it back in August.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: BrianP on October 29, 2019, 10:17:43 AM

Quote8/2/2019   MDOT SHA is currently evaluating the purpose and need for the US 219 Oakland project. The results of this evaluation will determine what transportation issues need to be addressed, and what strategies and solutions can be implemented to address current needs. This evaluation will be completed by Fall 2019.
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectSchedule.aspx?projectno=GA5992111

That's disappointing. US 219 is quite busy within Oakland town limits and carries a lot of through tourist traffic and some heavy trucks to/from I-68, Deep Creek Lake, the Monongahela National Forest and Canaan Valley. Removal of that through traffic would allow Third St to be streetscaped and improve the pedestrian facilities.

I checked the 2018 AADT for US 219 in Oakland. Third St handled an average of 14052 vehicles, with the segment just north of the intersection with MD 39 handling 11582 vehicles. The segment of US 219 between MD 39 and MD 135 handled 12782 vehicles and the segment of Maryland Hwy beyond the US 219 intersection handled 10612 vehicles. Are these numbers small enough to make a relatively basic and simple bypass of the sort proposed for US 219 marginal enough to be discarded?

bluecountry

Quote from: vdeane on October 26, 2019, 07:06:38 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on October 26, 2019, 11:37:50 AM
Why is Maryland expanding the I-95 Toll lanes only northbound to Rt 24, and not southbound?
Any plans to do it both ways?
The MD legislature passed a law that set a debt limit for MDTA, severely curtailing their ability to build new facilities or expand existing ones.
Will they eventually be southbound?
I wonder why they choose just north first?

TheOneKEA

Quote from: bluecountry on October 29, 2019, 09:01:18 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 26, 2019, 07:06:38 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on October 26, 2019, 11:37:50 AM
Why is Maryland expanding the I-95 Toll lanes only northbound to Rt 24, and not southbound?
Any plans to do it both ways?
The MD legislature passed a law that set a debt limit for MDTA, severely curtailing their ability to build new facilities or expand existing ones.
Will they eventually be southbound?
I wonder why they choose just north first?

I-95 between MP 70 and MP 78 experiences a disproportionate number of crashes, on both sides of the highway, especially in the vicinity of Exit 74. I-95 north also experiences significant backups between MP 73 and Exit 77 due to the northbound lane drop and the weaving onto the exit ramps for MD 24/924. Constructing the northbound carriageway first will decrease the chances of the second problem occurring, and help address the first.

I remember reading that additional money had been appropriated to allow both sides of the ETLs to be built at the same time; clearly something has changed and the northbound carriageway is the only one planned to be built for now.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on October 30, 2019, 08:10:38 PM
I-95 between MP 70 and MP 78 experiences a disproportionate number of crashes, on both sides of the highway, especially in the vicinity of Exit 74. I-95 north also experiences significant backups between MP 73 and Exit 77 due to the northbound lane drop and the weaving onto the exit ramps for MD 24/924. Constructing the northbound carriageway first will decrease the chances of the second problem occurring, and help address the first.

I remember reading that additional money had been appropriated to allow both sides of the ETLs to be built at the same time; clearly something has changed and the northbound carriageway is the only one planned to be built for now.

There is generally no money appropriated by the General Assembly for any MDTA road projects, with some exceptions.

The agency is "unbudgeted," meaning that it usually gets no (tax) dollars from the General Fund and no (tax) dollars from the Transportation Trust Fund.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 01, 2019, 10:33:48 PM

There is generally no money appropriated by the General Assembly for any MDTA road projects, with some exceptions.

The agency is "unbudgeted," meaning that it usually gets no (tax) dollars from the General Fund and no (tax) dollars from the Transportation Trust Fund.
In fairness, it's a toll agency. Tax dollars IMO shouldn't fund something that in return you still have to pay -again- in tolls. It's either toll funded, or tax funded. I agree with that policy.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 02, 2019, 07:20:12 AM

In fairness, it's a toll agency. Tax dollars IMO shouldn't fund something that in return you still have to pay -again- in tolls. It's either toll funded, or tax funded. I agree with that policy.

That's logical. Apparently I misinterpreted this report when it was posted on the forum.

Beltway

Quote from: TheOneKEA on November 02, 2019, 09:12:15 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on November 02, 2019, 07:20:12 AM
That's logical. Apparently I misinterpreted this report when it was posted on the forum.
Money is fungible.  I have no problem with the concept of toll-assisted project funding (combination of toll revenue bonds and tax funding accounts).  Depends on what is needed to get the project funded.

MDTA does utilize some funding from state and federal tax funds.

https://www.transportation.gov/tifia/financed-projects/intercounty-connector

Funding Sources:
Federal
-- GARVEE Bonds: $788.1M (backed by future Federal aid receipts)
-- Special Federal Funds: $19.3M (National Corridor Planning and Border Infrastructure Program funding, SAFETEA-LU National Corridor Improvement Program and high priority project funding)
State
-- MdTA Toll Revenue Bonds and Cash: $800.7M (backed by future MdTA system toll revenue)
-- TIFIA Loan: $516M (backed by future MdTA system toll revenue)
-- State of Maryland Transportation Trust Fund: $180M (motor fuel tax receipts, motor vehicle excise taxes, motor vehicle fees, corporate income taxes, operating revenues)
-- State of Maryland General Fund and General Obligation Bonds: $264.9M
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Bitmapped

Quote from: TheOneKEA on October 29, 2019, 07:42:09 PM
Quote from: BrianP on October 29, 2019, 10:17:43 AM

That's disappointing. US 219 is quite busy within Oakland town limits and carries a lot of through tourist traffic and some heavy trucks to/from I-68, Deep Creek Lake, the Monongahela National Forest and Canaan Valley. Removal of that through traffic would allow Third St to be streetscaped and improve the pedestrian facilities.

I checked the 2018 AADT for US 219 in Oakland. Third St handled an average of 14052 vehicles, with the segment just north of the intersection with MD 39 handling 11582 vehicles. The segment of US 219 between MD 39 and MD 135 handled 12782 vehicles and the segment of Maryland Hwy beyond the US 219 intersection handled 10612 vehicles. Are these numbers small enough to make a relatively basic and simple bypass of the sort proposed for US 219 marginal enough to be discarded?

I can't speak to Maryland's funding priorities, but I do agree a bypass of Oakland would be helpful in serving through traffic and getting it out of downtown. It would probably also pull traffic off the county-maintained Sand Flat Road, which serves as a shortcut between MD 560/Loch Lynn Heights and the north.

While not quite as bad, development and tourist traffic around Deep Creek Lake is turning that stretch of US 219 into a slower-moving slog during busier times of the year. I don't see any readily feasible fixes for that area, unfortunately.

cpzilliacus

Pete Rahn leaving the job of Maryland's Secretary of Transportation, to be replaced by State Highway Administrator Greg Slater.

Baltimore Sun: Maryland transportation secretary Rahn to leave Hogan administration; state highway chief to take over

QuoteMaryland's transportation secretary, Pete Rahn, is leaving his position, Gov. Larry Hogan announced Monday.

QuoteRahn has run the Department of Transportation since 2015, overseeing the state's highways, mass transit systems, toll facilities, Motor Vehicle Administration, the Port of Baltimore and BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport.

QuoteThe governor has chosen Greg Slater, a 20-year state employee who has headed the State Highway Administration since 2017, to replace Rahn.

QuoteAmong Rahn's key efforts was a plan to hire contractors to add toll lanes to widen the Capital Beltway and Interstate 270 in the Washington area; the private firms would receive toll revenue from the completed projects. The Hogan administration has touted the plan as the largest public-private partnership or "P3"  in the world, although it has its detractors.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

D-Dey65

Is it just me, or does anyone else find something distinct about the various liquor stores along US 301 in Charles County, Maryland? I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like they're fishing for customers who can't get certain types of alcohol in Virginia or other counties, or whatever the deal is.

But either way, there's this one in LaPlata that's right next to a strip mall.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Colonial_Liquors;_US_301;_LaPlata,_Maryland.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fast+Track+Tag+%26+Title/@38.5358879,-76.9835227,1409m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b708ec3c769def:0xfad0601c7ee7b78d!8m2!3d38.5363732!4d-76.9827676?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5359678,-76.9835338,3a,15y,38.67h,89.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk564kS7KdrCocxRc7izsBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The place contains a hair salon, a place called the "Red Oak Bistro" which tries to pass itself off as a fancy wine tasting saloon, which is really just a bar, and a "Fast Track Tag & Title," store owned by the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration. So go get a new hair style, get pissed drunk and get your driver's license from the State of Maryland.
:-P

And in White Plains there's a Jimmies Paddock drive-in liquor store next to a Citgo gas station. So now you can get gassed in two ways.

:-D

cpzilliacus

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 16, 2019, 09:28:00 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else find something distinct about the various liquor stores along US 301 in Charles County, Maryland? I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like they're fishing for customers who can't get certain types of alcohol in Virginia or other counties, or whatever the deal is.

Not unique to Charles County.

There are several stores that sell hard liquor north of the Maryland/Virginia border on U.S. 13 in Somerset County, Maryland too.

There are several liquor stores off of MD-414 and MD-210 not far from the Maryland landing of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. 

And exactly one on MD-28 (off of U.S. 15) in Point-of-Rocks. 

The flipside is also true - for places that sell cheaper cigarets south of the line in Virginia.

MASTERNC

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 16, 2019, 09:28:00 AM

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Colonial_Liquors;_US_301;_LaPlata,_Maryland.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fast+Track+Tag+%26+Title/@38.5358879,-76.9835227,1409m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b708ec3c769def:0xfad0601c7ee7b78d!8m2!3d38.5363732!4d-76.9827676?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5359678,-76.9835338,3a,15y,38.67h,89.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk564kS7KdrCocxRc7izsBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The place contains a hair salon, a place called the "Red Oak Bistro" which tries to pass itself off as a fancy wine tasting saloon, which is really just a bar, and a "Fast Track Tag & Title," store owned by the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration. So go get a new hair style, get pissed drunk and get your driver's license from the State of Maryland.
:-P

And in White Plains there's a Jimmies Paddock drive-in liquor store next to a Citgo gas station. So now you can get gassed in two ways.

:-D

Try driving south from Pennsylvania into border states - you find the same thing, mainly because of the convenience (buy beer/wine/liquor in one store) and the price.

epzik8

I noticed that on Fayette Street at President Street and I-83 in Baltimore, I-83 is marked as "TO I-83" . Isn't Fayette I-83's southern terminus, or does President Street continue slightly to the north?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Alps

Quote from: epzik8 on January 14, 2020, 08:17:10 AM
I noticed that on Fayette Street at President Street and I-83 in Baltimore, I-83 is marked as "TO I-83" . Isn't Fayette I-83's southern terminus, or does President Street continue slightly to the north?
https://goo.gl/maps/Vo8Lu8zPBwVjbbzH8
https://goo.gl/maps/LBeBvTqoge4kcyLv7

So it looks like the street sign is the only place that says TO, and my guess is that 83 starts at the Fallsway "exit".

famartin

Quote from: Alps on January 14, 2020, 10:58:13 PM

So it looks like the street sign is the only place that says TO, and my guess is that 83 starts at the Fallsway "exit".
MDOT SHA official map appears to show Fayette Street as the terminus, so may just be a sign error. (And LOL at my phone for autocorrecting Fayette to Fayetteville)
https://www.roads.maryland.gov/Town_Gridmaps/BALTIMORE%20CITY.pdf

Alps

Quote from: famartin on January 15, 2020, 12:14:04 PM

MDOT SHA official map appears to show Fayette Street as the terminus, so may just be a sign error. (And LOL at my phone for autocorrecting Fayette to Fayetteville)
Guarantee you Baltimore put up the street sign, so maybe they disagree.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on January 15, 2020, 09:01:26 PM
Quote from: famartin on January 15, 2020, 12:14:04 PM

Guarantee you Baltimore put up the street sign, so maybe they disagree.
Possible, though I believe the city maintains 83 within city limits.

The Ghostbuster

In 2005, there was a proposal to truncate Interstate 83 from its current terminus at E. Fayette St. to E. Eager St. Wikipedia says it had some support then but that "it is unlikely that any action will be taken until about 2020 (a.k.a. this year), when the current elevated structure will need an overhaul if it is to remain in use." Will any of this proposal be implemented, or is such a project long dead?

Alps

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 16, 2020, 04:34:17 PM
In 2005, there was a proposal to truncate Interstate 83 from its current terminus at E. Fayette St. to E. Eager St. Wikipedia says it had some support then but that "it is unlikely that any action will be taken until about 2020 (a.k.a. this year), when the current elevated structure will need an overhaul if it is to remain in use." Will any of this proposal be implemented, or is such a project long dead?
Have heard diddlysquat about an overhaul.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.