News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL: What the Hell?

Started by Billy F 1988, September 20, 2014, 08:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I would imagine a lot of this has its roots in the special treatment high school players get. Johnny has to maintain a C average to be eligible to play and they need him for the big game against Fairview, so Mr. Anderson gives him an extra day to turn in that homework or gives him a few marginal points on his test. This can happen either because Mr. Anderson legitimately likes the football team, or worse, the athletic department puts pressure on him to cut him slack. Worse still, in smaller towns even the police can act this way. In combination with the cliquishness of high school this can make student athletes begin to think they're untouchable.

As for punishing employees for stuff outside of work, I usually argue it shouldn't be done. But, if there is substantial proof that the employee is violent, it may be a good idea to terminate them for the sake of the other employees' safety. If a guy doesn't hesitate to do that to his SO he might to it to his boss or the lady in the next cubicle. Even if he can keep it under control the other employees might feel unsafe around him and that would make working with him difficult.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bing101

bing101

Billy F 1988

That doesn't surprise me. It just shows how fucked up the ass Goodell and his crew has become. Hey. Rice ain't the only one appealing his suspension. So will Adrian Peterson. I mean, that's what I hate about the National Football league. I fucking hate the fact that they look all gosh damn non-chalant on the field but then end up like a hood rat outside of the field. I'm sickened by how the NFL, the players union, the families represented by the players union uniquely justify and defend Ray's action's as if he didn't hit Janae Palmer in the elevator. Still, I don't care who threw the first strike. If you're going to act like the hood rats you are, Ray and Janae, then get the fuck away from each other and never see another day together in your lifetime! Holy crap! How fucking hard is that?!!!!!! Just fucking HOW???!!!!! HOW?!!!!!!! How in the flying crock of hell are we this hard headed and can't put two and two together and take a gosh damn hint at what we supposed to be doing RIGHT?!!!!!

Man. I'm sorry for blowing up like this. But c'mon now! Let's get serious and start doing some things right for once.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

bing101

Update NBC News did an interview with Ray Rice wife over the abuse scandal.

Here is the interview from NBC News.

http://www.today.com/news/ray-rice-wife-janay-speak-matt-lauer-today-exclusive-1D80324514

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bing101 on November 30, 2014, 11:26:09 AM
Update NBC News did an interview with Ray Rice wife over the abuse scandal.

Baltimore Sun: ESPN sells out on Rice interview; NBC says no concessions were made

QuoteIf NBC News is telling the truth in how it got the interview with Ray and Janay Rice, what a difference between NBC and ESPN.

QuoteI swore I would never use journalism in the same sentence with ESPN again after the way it gave up all editorial control and any sense of journalistic integrity in getting LeBron James to announce his move to Miami in a shameless prime-time special in 2010, "The Decision."

QuoteBut even I didn't think the so-called leader in sports news would so easily and cheaply trade away any credibility it has to get an interview like this.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bing101

Billy F 1988

How lovely. (sarcasm) Anyways, the man has just been reinstated by the NFL, so he apparently won his appeal and will now return to the field. I don't know if he'll be back with any team, moreso I doubt he'll be back with the Ravens because of how they fucked this thing up, too.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

bing101

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/03/368143604/sports-commissioners-absent-from-senate-hearing-on-domestic-abuse

NPR News is reporting that Congress is conducting an investigation on how the NFL conducts abuse allegations.

cjk374

Quote from: bing101 on December 03, 2014, 10:33:18 AM
http://www.npr.org/2014/12/03/368143604/sports-commissioners-absent-from-senate-hearing-on-domestic-abuse

NPR News is reporting that Congress is conducting an investigation on how the NFL conducts abuse allegations.

Does congress have nothing better to do with their time than deal with the NFL?  I guess this means they have balanced the budget, have immigration under control, and now all 535 members think the same?  :verymad:  :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bing101

Quote from: cjk374 on December 07, 2014, 01:04:03 PM
Quote from: bing101 on December 03, 2014, 10:33:18 AM

Does congress have nothing better to do with their time than deal with the NFL?  I guess this means they have balanced the budget, have immigration under control, and now all 535 members think the same?  :verymad: :pan:

Well leave the political troll stuff to facebook.

bing101

Pete from Boston

Except the union, perhaps rightly so, is complaining they never even got a glance at the policy until it was made public.

Unfortunately the NFL is still stuck in reactive mode, and it seems to keep acting in haste to cover itself rather than show thoughtful concern about the problems it has historically ignored. 

The NFL looks like an organization rushing to figure out how to look sincere.  A better start would have been to be sincere. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 12, 2014, 01:57:22 PM
The NFL looks like an organization rushing to figure out how to look sincere.  A better start would have been to be sincere. 

I wonder how many people that normally watch football or go to the games have not done so because they agree with the players union. 

I imagine that number is close to zero.

And for that reason, they don't need to look sincere or do the absolute right thing.  If the fans didn't show up at a game in protest, then the NFL may get the message.  If the players refused to take the field in protest, the NFL may get the message.  But the likelihood of either of those things occurring is also close to zero.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 12, 2014, 02:11:04 PM

I wonder how many people that normally watch football or go to the games have not done so because they agree with the players union. 

I imagine that number is close to zero.

And for that reason, they don't need to look sincere or do the absolute right thing.  If the fans didn't show up at a game in protest, then the NFL may get the message.  If the players refused to take the field in protest, the NFL may get the message.  But the likelihood of either of those things occurring is also close to zero.

This is all true.  This is why the NFL's response is so confused–it can't figure out the dollar amount not responding will cost, because it's still raking in money.  Only when bad PR costs it sponsors does it start jerking awkwardly into damage control.

The players don't stand out as shining stars here, either.  Funny they made a statement about Ferguson on the field, but there's no don't-beat-women Kodak moment.

The clear public message from all involved (Congress, too) is "We truly care–because we've calculated that we have to.  Please let us know when we have cared enough."

triplemultiplex

The NFL looks like an organization rushing to figure out how to look sincere.

Those TV commercials aren't helping.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Pete from Boston

On the subject of how the NFL does worry about its fan base/future, the Frontline about the NFL's avoidance of the head-injury issue featured a medical examiner that years ago brought evidence to the NFL and was told "If 10% of mothers get it into their heads that football is not safe, it will lead to the end of the NFL."

Fast-forward to 2014, and the NFL is holding clinics directly marketed to mothers, having them participate in drills that teach moms that football is full of safety. 

This is a big-splash entertainment organization not possessed of a lot of grace and subtlety.   

Billy F 1988

I just think this is too far too late. The NFL, the Baltimore Ravens, and the Players Association really screwed everything up excluding Ngata's failed drug test results. Goodell has to go. He has to leave the NFL, I don't care what means are necessary to do so. His presence in this organization and the manner of how the Peterson and Rice investigations were conducted just made things so much worse than Pete Roselle letting football be played after the assassination of one of the Kennedy's. So they pass this conduct policy through. Okay. Fine. Great. Bravo. Cupri curpi! Now that this happened, let me tell you how this will go. This new policy will not work! If you hand them six game-suspensions, they'll just turn the fuck back around and do the same damn thing over again. It's not just magically going to reform these football players like Rice or Peterson into being good citizens again the instance this passes through the interwebs of the NFL. No. Pete from Boston hit it right smack on the head. The National Football League is appearing to be sincere when I know they are not. Look at what happened with NCAA and Penn State officials when the Paterno case reared its ugly head. This is the kind of culture we have when we think that things like hitting a man is okay, but hitting a woman lands you in jail.

I just flat out don't care about the NFL and for as long as I live, I never will. I never will buy an NFL ticket, even if it is cheap, never watch an NFL game nor listen to an NFL game. I've had this same problem with NASCAR, albeit the issues they're having are much more moot than the ones the NFL are dealing with, and with all the crap happening there and all the negativity going on there, I dropped it completely. I'm doing the same the NFL. I just do not, have not, and will not care for the National Football League because they don't have enough care in their one finger that I have in my body. Let the NFL go off into obscurity, obsolescence, and never show the good it once had because it was long gone after the days of Marino, Montana, Elway, Farve, Ray Lewis, Joe Theisman, and Joe Gibbs for that matter.

bing101

Billy F 1988

I just think this is a blatant attempt to cover up a lot of touchy issues by the National Football League. Just like the news about Jay Gruden wanting RG3 ousted because of outside AND on-the-field issues that have no relationship to one another. Little by little over the last few months since Ray Rice's incident with his then-wife, my total respect for the NFL waned. Now there is a tremendous decline of respect of the NFL from me because of how these issues were handled. People wanted Peterson back, but NFL says eff off, no one gives a shit about his records, just this one thing that he's blatantly painted this bleak picture of a bad father. Okay. Fuck that. The dude made a mistake not knowing how wrong it was to hurt his son with the stick. But that doesn't mean you write off any livelihood Peterson has left and burn them up. His wife wants Adrian to have visitation rights because of how much he cares about his son. Obviously when he gets to be 18 or so, I'm sure he don't wanna repeat the thing his daddy did to him. I mean, c'mon NFL. Let the dude back with Minnesota! Let him come back to the purple and gold! Fans miss him! He's been gone since the start of this NFL season. Let the dude back to the Vikings, gosh damn it, or you will definitely lose all respect I have remaining. I only have but a sliver of respect left for Roger Goodell, the Players Association, and the investigating parties involved in both the Rice and Peterson cases. As I've stated before, I just do not, have not, and will not care for the National Football League because, as I've said before, and point out once again, they don't have enough care in their one finger that I have in my body. They need to buckle down and start being PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE. There are immense differences between being proactive before something happens rather than being reactive after something happened. But, you know, the so-called "window dressing" that bing points out has been the thing the NFL has been known to have done with addressing head injuries, drug policies, sportsmanship/conduct initiatives, and yet, the NFL has not been proactive in what we expect them to be proactive about. I don't know guys, none of this shit's making diddly dick lick of sense to me.

bing101

Billy F 1988

You guys can take this topic from here and do whatever with it. I can't see myself continuing discussing what the hell is happening in the NFL. I'm so pissed off. It pains me to say this, but the way I see it, the NFL's dead to me, it has no importance to me, it's not a sport I will follow for the remainder of my lifetime. I'm sorry. But this just irks me more than you can ever imagine.

bugo

Peterson spanked his kids. Big fucking deal. I got my ass beat when I was a kid using belts, switches, paddles, sticks, and other various objects. Now they call it "child abuse". It's gotten ridiculous.

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on December 18, 2014, 04:05:08 AM
Peterson spanked his kids. Big fucking deal. I got my ass beat when I was a kid using belts, switches, paddles, sticks, and other various objects. Now they call it "child abuse". It's gotten ridiculous.

Peterson also did it because his kid was doing some things that could lead to him turning into a thug down the road. There is nothing wrong with keeping your child in line, and sometimes the best way to prevent something is to beat the shit out of them so they know what will happen if they try it again. Luckily, I didn't face this problem when I was younger..
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: bugo on December 18, 2014, 04:05:08 AM
Agreed. I've heard the Vikings want to bring him back next year. Good on them. Punching your wife is a fuckton different than hitting your kid with a switch. I never had a problem with AP.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.