News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Trucker killed in SB Lehigh Tunnel

Started by Flyer78, February 22, 2018, 12:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer78

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20180222_ap_810c01347fc941ff9e62b1910ac6d2e4.html

A section of electrical conduit fell from the roof of a Pennsylvania Turnpike tunnel, crashed through a windshield of a truck and struck the driver in the head, killing him, police said.

The truck driven by Howard Sexton III, 70, of Mickleton, New Jersey, continued on for a mile after the accident about 6 p.m. Wednesday inside the Lehigh Tunnel's southbound lanes, state police said.

Sexton was already dead when troopers and turnpike maintenance workers reached his truck on the shoulder of the highway.

The article mentions this is the only tunnel with the exposed conduit.

briantroutman

Yes–the SB tube of the Lehigh Tunnel (built in 1991) is the only one in the system to have been constructed anew since the PTC's campaign to twin (or bypass) the original E-W tunnels in the '60s.

It used the New Austrian Tunneling method (NATM) and has a semi-circular cross-section, contrasted with the rectangular shape of the '40s and '60s tubes. As a result, it feels much more spacious and airy to drive through. From a driver's experience standpoint, it feels as much more modern relative to the earlier tunnels as the newly reconstructed six-lane sections of the Turnpike do in comparison to the narrow original sections.

Putting historical significance and nostalgia aside, I certainly prefer driving through that tube than the other nine throughout the system.

There will be numerous thorough investigations, I'm sure–scrutinize what piece of equipment fell and whether it had been inspected properly and on schedule.

I feel great sympathy for the driver's family (I realize that doesn't mean much), and it's somewhat frightening to think that could have been me (or any of us).

PHLBOS

To some degree, this reminds me of what happened over a decade ago (2006) in Boston when a ceiling tile from one of the Big Dig tunnels (along I-90, the Liberty Tunnel: the underground link between the Mass Pike and the Ted Williams Tunnel) fell and struck a passing car, killing the passenger.  Roughly 2 hours beforehand, my brother & my oldest niece went through that tunnel en route to Logan Airport.

Given that such was a brand new (& expensive) tunnel; the outrage (from then-Gov. Romney and the general public) over the collapse triggered the eventual merger of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority into MassHighway.  The merged entity was renamed to the current MassDOT.

Back to the Lehigh Tunnel: there have been some rumblings about merging the PTC into PennDOT.  Could this incident, especially given that this was the newer of the two tunnels, cause history to repeat itself?

Side bar: the original Lehigh Tunnel, that presently carries the northbound traffic under normal conditions) was completed circa 1957.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: briantroutman on February 22, 2018, 01:16:50 PM
Yes–the SB tube of the Lehigh Tunnel (built in 1991) is the only one in the system to have been constructed anew since the PTC's campaign to twin (or bypass) the original E-W tunnels in the '60s.

It used the New Austrian Tunneling method (NATM) and has a semi-circular cross-section, contrasted with the rectangular shape of the '40s and '60s tubes. As a result, it feels much more spacious and airy to drive through. From a driver's experience standpoint, it feels as much more modern relative to the earlier tunnels as the newly reconstructed six-lane sections of the Turnpike do in comparison to the narrow original sections.

Putting historical significance and nostalgia aside, I certainly prefer driving through that tube than the other nine throughout the system.

There will be numerous thorough investigations, I'm sure–scrutinize what piece of equipment fell and whether it had been inspected properly and on schedule.

I feel great sympathy for the driver's family (I realize that doesn't mean much), and it's somewhat frightening to think that could have been me (or any of us).

That's the one that has the jet turbines to move air through it, right? They can leave most of the tube exposed because they didn't need to build a plenum to facilitate air movement through the tube.

jeffandnicole

As Brian said, if I had to choose a favorite, that tube would be my favorite as well.  Definitely more open, although they unfortunately kept the pavement width the same narrow feeling as any other tunnel tube in their system.

seicer

All traffic is routed into the original tube, I take it? I am driving down the Extension this evening.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: seicer on February 22, 2018, 03:37:11 PM
All traffic is routed into the original tube, I take it? I am driving down the Extension this evening.

I would imagine both tubes are back open as normal now, as this occurred last night.

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 22, 2018, 03:48:16 PM
Quote from: seicer on February 22, 2018, 03:37:11 PM

I would imagine both tubes are back open as normal now, as this occurred last night.

Google Maps is showing both tubes open as of 6:30p U.S. EST.

ixnay

Chris19001

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 22, 2018, 01:38:01 PM
To some degree, this reminds me of what happened over a decade ago (2006) in Boston when a ceiling tile from one of the Big Dig tunnels (along I-90, the Liberty Tunnel: the underground link between the Mass Pike and the Ted Williams Tunnel) fell and struck a passing car, killing the passenger.  Roughly 2 hours beforehand, my brother & my oldest niece went through that tunnel en route to Logan Airport.

Given that such was a brand new (& expensive) tunnel; the outrage (from then-Gov. Romney and the general public) over the collapse triggered the eventual merger of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority into MassHighway.  The merged entity was renamed to the current MassDOT.

Back to the Lehigh Tunnel: there have been some rumblings about merging the PTC into PennDOT.  Could this incident, especially given that this was the newer of the two tunnels, cause history to repeat itself?

Side bar: the original Lehigh Tunnel, that presently carries the northbound traffic under normal conditions) was completed circa 1957.
I was thinking much the same thoughts to the general comparison of the Ted Williams tunnel defect when I heard this story.  One big difference on the perceptions though, for the general public The Big Dig was an epic boondoggle as far as money management and project scheduling went.  The tile collapse was only the icing on the cake as far as the general assembly was concerned, as it came so shortly after the tunnel opening that quality control was thrust back into the spotlight.  It caused people to ask "What did we just spend all this money on if it is already defective?"
Now those that remember the Mass incident will recall the tile epoxy specifics were not necessarily an indictment on the whole project, but the assembly was already looking for a reason to drop the hammer on the Mass Turnpike Authority. 
This "new" PTC tunnel is 25+ years open, and has been mostly troublefree for its existence.  This is no excuse for a preventable accident, and I would expect an enormous litigation expense coming PTC's way in the near future, but I don't predict it causing additional pressure to merger PTC into PennDOT.  Now if the I-95 connection interchange started sinking in a year and had to be closed down and rebuilt from scratch, that would be a different story. 

jeffandnicole

I read that after the incident, the truck drove another mile, exiting the tunnel before stopping.  I think it's unknown if the driver died after pulling the truck over, or if the driver died instantly and by some grace of God miracle the truck continued straight as it slowed down on its own, coming to a stop alongside the guardrail.

I did read they will do an autopsy, which I'm guessing is only to determine when the driver actually passed away.

I also read that other vehicles were damaged in the incident, but likewise, no details on how they were damaged.

AMLNet49

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 22, 2018, 01:38:01 PM

The I-90 Tunnel under the channel is called the Liberty Tunnel? I always thought it was the Fort Point Tunnel, and Liberty Tunnel was a post-9/11 working name for the O'Neill Tunnel, but I might be misremembering.

But either way, didn't the ceiling tile fall in the underground ramp from I-93 North to I-90 East, parallel to the I-90/FtPoint/Liberty Tunnel itself? And wasn't that one of the reasons why they were shoddy, because they expected (and got) less scrutiny on the auxiliary tunnels as opposed to the mainline?

I'll be honest I could be 0 for 4 here I'm just going off memory

PHLBOS

Quote from: AMLNet49 on February 23, 2018, 03:06:37 PM
The official name of the I-90 tunnel between the Pike and the Ted Williams was initially called the O'Neill Tunnel (and the I-93 tunnel was called the Liberty Tunnel) by then-Gov. Romney circa 2003.  However, (and, yes, there's some politics in play here) the Democratic-controlled State House & Senate did not appreciate the former-Speaker's name (who championed the override of President Reagan's veto of the Big Dig funding (in a highway bill)) being placed on shortest of the three Big Dig tunnels.  So legislative action was taken to swap the Liberty Tunnel name onto the longer I-93 tunnel... at very least and (as many thought) place the Liberty name for the shorter I-90 tunnel.

Source for the above
Quote from: Boston.com ArticleA key legislative panel voted yesterday to name the main tunnel of the Central Artery project after the late US House Speaker Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill Jr., defying the wishes of Governor Mitt Romney.

Romney had proposed legislation earlier this year to designate the tunnel "Liberty," to honor service men and women, and had proposed O'Neill's name be attached to a shorter tunnel connecting the Artery to the Massachusetts Turnpike.

But the Joint Transportation Committee, in amending Romney's bill yesterday, rejected the Liberty moniker, voting to name the main tunnel for O'Neill and electing to call the shorter roadway the Veterans' Tunnel.
Reading the above is where it gets fuzzy regarding the current official name for short I-90 tunnel.  Most, myself included, was under the impression that both of the tunnel names was swapped rather than just the one (O'Neill).  I've never seen any maps nor anyone refer to it as the Veterans Tunnel but I have seen maps that (erroneously(?)) list it as the Liberty Tunnel.

I'm not even sure if the Fort Point (Channel) Tunnel has since become its official name over the years although Google Maps now lists it as such.

While the location of the ceiling collapse is mentioned that it was along the ramp that linked I-93 northbound to I-90 eastbound; that ramp merges with the mainline I-90 eastbound tunnel just prior to its opening (tunnel's end).  Based on the photos I've seen, the location of the collapse was at the merge of that ramp & mainline I-90 eastbound.
See photo in this link
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
We now return to our regularly-scheduled Lehigh Tunnel incident discussion now already in progress.  :biggrin:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: storm2k on February 22, 2018, 02:47:08 PM
That's the one that has the jet turbines to move air through it, right? They can leave most of the tube exposed because they didn't need to build a plenum to facilitate air movement through the tube.

Jet fans, or axial flow fans.  I believe this tunnel was the first one in the U.S.  Major cost savings on installation as well as energy saving in operation.

The new Elizabeth River Midtown Tunnel at Norfolk, VA has jet fan ventilation.  The other three older Elizabeth River tunnels were refitted with jet fans.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ixnay

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 23, 2018, 04:35:24 PM
Quote from: AMLNet49 on February 23, 2018, 03:06:37 PM
The official name of the I-90 tunnel between the Pike and the Ted Williams was initially called the O'Neill Tunnel (and the I-93 tunnel was called the Liberty Tunnel) by then-Gov. Romney circa 2003.  However, (and, yes, there's some politics in play here) the Democratic-controlled State House & Senate did not appreciate the former-Speaker's name (who championed the override of President Reagan's veto of the Big Dig funding (in a highway bill)) being placed on shortest of the three Big Dig tunnels.  So legislative action was taken to swap the Liberty Tunnel name onto the longer I-93 tunnel... at very least and (as many thought) place the Liberty name for the shorter I-90 tunnel.

Boston has (or had) a Liberty Tunnel?  What do Pittsburghers think of that iykwim?

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.