News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

1970s PennDOT mast-arm signal installations are very odd looking

Started by traffic light guy, September 08, 2015, 10:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

What's up with 1970s PennDOT installation where the traffic signals have odd curved brackets, was this because signals 40 years ago were made of heavier aluminum or cast-iron,  was this a groovey hip 1970s style that PennDOT just choose, because the 1970s-era trapiziod-boxed "stackable" mast-arms and louvered backplates are just odd looking enough, not that I have anything against this installation, in fact 1970s PennDOT mast-arm installations are one of my favorites. Matter a fact I saw some of these installations still holding over in North Philly waiting to be replaced with modern crap, one intersection had all Crouse-Hinds Type Rs, while the other had Eagle flatbacks. Not to mention some of these also have diagonal mast-arms, looks like PA was the first to come up with monotube mast-arms in the 1970s, since they've never used a 2-guy wire.

roadman65

Caltrans and Arizona still used the curve mast arms for aesthetics.  That might of been then.

However I remember outside the Philly area most of PA used span wires.  Once in a while some downtown areas would use curved arms as you say.  Hershey used to have a nice curved arms before the realigned PA 743 to avoid the one block concurrency with US 422 a the US 422/ PA 743 intersections.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ian

Quote from: roadman65 on September 08, 2015, 11:13:41 PM
Caltrans and Arizona still used the curve mast arms for aesthetics.  That might of been then.

However I remember outside the Philly area most of PA used span wires.  Once in a while some downtown areas would use curved arms as you say.  Hershey used to have a nice curved arms before the realigned PA 743 to avoid the one block concurrency with US 422 a the US 422/ PA 743 intersections.

I'm pretty sure 'traffic light guy' means the brackets attaching the traffic signals themselves to the arm of the mast-arm. I have photos of what I think he's talking about...

These are at the intersection of Oxford Valley Road and Levittown Parkway in Levittown.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jeffandnicole

Pennsylvania never used nice looking poles and arms for traffic lights.  And as you can see, they're prone to rusting also.

traffic light guy

Quote from: Ian on September 09, 2015, 12:04:33 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 08, 2015, 11:13:41 PM

I'm pretty sure 'traffic light guy' means the brackets attaching the traffic signals themselves to the arm of the mast-arm. I have photos of what I think he's talking about...

These are at the intersection of Oxford Valley Road and Levittown Parkway in Levittown.

Yes, thanks Ian, those pictures of the 3M and Eagle flatback are a perfect visual representation of what I've said

traffic light guy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 09, 2015, 12:23:13 PM
Pennsylvania never used nice looking poles and arms for traffic lights.  And as you can see, they're prone to rusting also.

Well the 1970s are 40 years ago

roadfro

Quote from: traffic light guy on September 08, 2015, 10:57:27 PM
What's up with 1970s PennDOT installation where the traffic signals have odd curved brackets, ...

Maybe it has to do with reusing older signal heads designed for span wire, where the signal head attaches on the top and bottom...? If you look at that second picture especially, that appears to be all one piece for the signal head, as opposed to having what appears to be individual units that can be attached.

Complete guess on my part.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

traffic light guy

Quote from: roadfro on September 09, 2015, 10:54:08 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on September 08, 2015, 10:57:27 PM
What's up with 1970s PennDOT installation where the traffic signals have odd curved brackets, ...

Maybe it has to do with reusing older signal heads designed for span wire, where the signal head attaches on the top and bottom...? If you look at that second picture especially, that appears to be all one piece for the signal head, as opposed to having what appears to be individual units that can be attached.

Complete guess on my part.

Its a 3-pieces unit,  the signal in that picture is a later model Eagle flatback, manufactured in the 1960s, and not installed until the early-1970s, Eagle Durasigs were nowhere to be found in PA until 1980 when PennDOT and the MUTCD approved the unit, the last Eagle flatback installation was probably around 1978, the earliest were 8-inchers from the early-'60s. But to add Pennsylvania stopped installing any Eagle signals of any kind, Every new installation I've seen since 2010 is an Econolite.

steviep24

NYSDOT used those curved brackets on some of their mast arm installations probably during the 1970's and 80's.  Example here

Most NY mast arm installations at that time hung the lights from the mast arms using a type of swivel hardware much like what NYC still uses. Most of those have been replaced with Astro Bracket mounted lights.

SignBridge

Ian, aren't Oxford Valley Road and Levittown Parkway the same road? I think you mean the intersection of New Falls Rd. where the name changes. I too have noticed that antiquated weird looking signal head on trips to that area.

Best regards, Ian R.

Ian

Quote from: SignBridge on September 19, 2015, 10:26:43 PM
Ian, aren't Oxford Valley Road and Levittown Parkway the same road? I think you mean the intersection of New Falls Rd. where the name changes.

You're right. I captioned the photo to that on Flickr a while ago, so I didn't even bother to check if it was right or not.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.