News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Something wonderful has happened in Atlanta. I am agog.

Started by Tom958, September 29, 2017, 08:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

I was psyched about going through downtown Atlanta today because a friend had told me about something cool that'd been done there . But this is way better.

Within (I'm pretty sure) the last few days, along with some APL-related changes I've already posted about, this sign for the Edgewood Ave exit and the one for the subsequent International Blvd exit were changed from 2009 MUTCD-complaint twin black-on-yellow arrows to the old skool scheme you see here. So were the ones for the Williams Street and Courtland Street exits on the southbound side. To me, this amounts to extending a middle finger to the single most objectionable feature of the 2009 MUTCD, and don't mind admitting that I'm giddy about it. It's all the more remarkable considering that several of the rogue APL's that GDOT is famous for have been corrected recently ( three items on this page). GDOT is improving MUTCD compliance regarding APL's while flauting it re conventional signage for the same condition. Something is going on. Here's the Streetview link in case you want to look around.

Having made my own opinion clear, I'm not gonna reargue the point, but I would like to mention that there are many places in Georgia where the sign is mounted before the option lane starts to widen rather than at or near the physical nose, thereby making it appear that two lanes are being dropped rather than one. That was the case here, actually, until the change. I'm wondering now if practical experience with accidents is playing a bigger role here than philosophy.  :hmmm: Either way, we may be seeing a lot of this in the future.

Tom958

Sign replacement is underway on I-85 between I-285 and Sugarloaf Parkway, where two-lane offramps with option lanes are almost universal, and it's clear that GDOT is all-in on the new scheme. The new signs at the point of divergence follow the pattern in the photo above, while the advance signs have only one black-on-yellow down arrow per the MUTCD. The only 2009 MUTCD-compliant two-arrow sign in the corridor, this hideous monstrosity installed as part of a dynamic shoulder lane project, has been modified to have one white and one black arrow, and the border(s) have been fixed, so now it looks normal.

The next thing to watch for is whether there'll be a systematic program of changing the many existing 2009 MUTCD-compliant, two-black-arrow signs to the new style. I'm guessing there will be, if it's not happening already.

machias

roadman

Quote from: Tom958 on September 29, 2017, 08:42:11 PM
Streetview link in case you want to look around.

Seems to be a lot of empty green space on that HOV entrance sign.  Does GDOT have a design requirement that all signs mounted on the same gantry have to be the same height?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadman on October 20, 2017, 02:09:59 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on September 29, 2017, 08:42:11 PM
Streetview link in case you want to look around.

Seems to be a lot of empty green space on that HOV entrance sign.  Does GDOT have a design requirement that all signs mounted on the same gantry have to be the same height?
I know they at least did, but seem to be moving away from that requirement.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

StogieGuy7

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Eth

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 21, 2017, 05:03:06 PM
Georgia, to my knowledge, never used Clearview.

Correct, at least at the state level. I've seen a few local governments make use of it.

Tom958

Tom958

Three and a half months later...

Quote from: Tom958 on October 15, 2017, 07:12:28 AMThe next thing to watch for is whether there'll be a systematic program of changing the many existing 2009 MUTCD-compliant, two-black-arrow signs to the new style. I'm guessing there will be, if it's not happening already.

Nope. While installation of new old skool signage has continued, there's been no more revision of existing signage AFAIK. However, yesterday I discovered this, installed within the last few weeks. Previously, new conventional signage in advance of option lane exits has been MUTCD compliant. Now, screw that!

!nterestingly, at the next junction upstream, the Olympic era signage has been replaced with an APL. I don't mind admitting that I don't understand GDOT's thinking.

:hmmm:

Tom958

Gravedig, for late -breaking news: Recently, the name of Freedom Parkway was changed to John Lewis Freedom Parkway, and the BGS's were replaced rather than greened over to accommodate the change. The exit only panels on the new signs are 2009 MUTCD compliant, with two black-on-yellow arrows instead on one white, one black. This could mean that the revolt on this is over, but I suspect and hope that it's a matter of whoever designed the signs not knowing that that aspect of the MUTCD was considered inoperative on the Downtown Connector  and on 85 in Gwinnett.

And yes, John Lewis Parkway would've been better.  :-/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.