News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on July 16, 2015, 03:22:47 PM
Quote from: ET21 on July 16, 2015, 03:20:37 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on July 16, 2015, 11:27:09 AM
Quote from: ET21 on July 16, 2015, 10:56:36 AM
Quote from: Quimby on July 15, 2015, 05:11:28 PM
Quote from: ET21 on July 14, 2015, 04:25:12 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 14, 2015, 02:36:13 AM
Does the I-490 segment have its own name? I'm not sure if this was a proper edit.

I'm sure it'll be named after a corrupt Illinois politician. Wouldn't be surprised if it was named after Obama

The only people who have tollways named after them in Illinois are Jane Addams and Ronald Reagan.  Even the non-toll Chicago expressways are named after people like Eisenhower, Kennedy, and Stevenson.  Hardly a long list of corrupt Illinois politicians.

It was meant to be a jab joke towards the state, obviously some of our freeways are named after decent people. But knowing Illinois.......
Name a decent politician - go ahead, I dare you. I double dare you.

You can't? 
I didn't think you could :sombrero: :awesomeface:

George Washington!  :D

Sadly, he's been dead for over 200 years.

Pretty much all the good ones are. Just call it the Lincoln Bypass and call it a day  :) lol
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on July 16, 2015, 03:28:21 PM
Pretty much all the good ones are. Just call it the Lincoln Bypass and call it a day  :) lol

I like that idea.  Not a single freeway or tollway is named for Lincoln in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Stephane Dumas

I-39

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 28, 2015, 06:33:43 PM
The new ramps connecting I-290 with IL-390/EOH (Elgin-O'Hare) opened Monday. http://abc7chicago.com/traffic/ohare-ramps-connecting-i-290-route-390-now-open/886314/

No more stoplights! Woo-hoo! Can't wait for the rest of the interchange to be finished.

ajlynch91

Actually (much to my surprise and happiness) the ramps opened Sunday. I of course had to take a small detour route from going nowhere.

dietermoreno

On Sunday I did indeed see the ramps open (which are the flyover ramp from Wb I-290 to Wb IL-390 and the ramp from Eb I-290 to Wb IL-390) and I saw the old ramp from Eb I-290 to Wb IL-390 with a stop light turned off and the pavement being torn up, so I deduce that all stop lights have been removed there and thus to replace making a left turn from the old ramp from Eb I-290 to Eb IL-390 you have to exit Rossell Rd and make a U-turn.

Stratuscaster

If I recall, the EB I-290 to EB Thorndale movement is to use the loop-around at Meacham/Medinah Road.

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on July 16, 2015, 04:26:48 PM

I like that idea.  Not a single freeway or tollway is named for Lincoln in Illinois.
I think it's shocking that a state that calls itself the Land of Lincoln does not have any expressways or tollways that bear his name, so I second the idea!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hobsini2

Quote from: Henry on August 06, 2015, 12:12:07 PM

I think it's shocking that a state that calls itself the Land of Lincoln does not have any expressways or tollways that bear his name, so I second the idea!
Might not happen up here because of the Lincoln Hwy.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

bulldog1979

Kinda like how Michigan doesn't have any freeways named for Henry Ford. Ford Road (M-153) was named for William, Henry's father, and a section of I-94 is the Edsel Ford Freeway after his son. (The Ford Freeway near Grand Rapids was named for for the president.) We have freeways named for Walter Chrysler, David Dunbar Buick, Louis Chevrolet, Ransom E. Olds, and the Fisher Brothers (of the "Body by Fisher" fame for GM cars).

Revive 755

Quote from: dietermoreno on August 06, 2015, 12:01:07 AM
On Sunday I did indeed see the ramps open (which are the flyover ramp from Wb I-290 to Wb IL-390 and the ramp from Eb I-290 to Wb IL-390) and I saw the old ramp from Eb I-290 to Wb IL-390 with a stop light turned off and the pavement being torn up, so I deduce that all stop lights have been removed there and thus to replace making a left turn from the old ramp from Eb I-290 to Eb IL-390 you have to exit Rossell Rd and make a U-turn.

There has been a new stoplight installed where EB Thorndale intersects with the new ramp from WB I-290 to EB Thorndale.

EDIT:  It appears the signal at the EB I-290 to Thorndale still lives as well.

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on June 21, 2015, 10:52:13 PM
Funny you mention that. As of today, Google Earth (the application), just published updated satellite imagery for most of Chicagoland (with the exception of the north suburbs) and it is dated April 30th, 2015. It shows both the I-90 and Elgin-O'Hare corridors under construction. I imagine the updates imagery will be on google maps within days.

Google maps seems to have finally updated their aerial imagery for at least McHenry County.

EDIT:  And for Lake County as well, the Rollins Road grade separation at the CN line is visible.

johndoe780

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 09, 2015, 08:13:22 PM
Quote from: I-39 on June 21, 2015, 10:52:13 PM
Funny you mention that. As of today, Google Earth (the application), just published updated satellite imagery for most of Chicagoland (with the exception of the north suburbs) and it is dated April 30th, 2015. It shows both the I-90 and Elgin-O'Hare corridors under construction. I imagine the updates imagery will be on google maps within days.

Google maps seems to have finally updated their aerial imagery for at least McHenry County.

EDIT:  And for Lake County as well, the Rollins Road grade separation at the CN line is visible.

As is the grade separation on Ogden in Aurora, Irving Park road in Bensenville, and the Union Pacific tracks in West chicago near Kautz ave.

Stephane Dumas

One guy on Youtube posted a driving video of the new ramps of I-290/IL-390.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnz0GJ8XoBY

I-39

Just thought of something. They have the numbers backwards. The Elgin-O'Hare portion should be IL-490 and the West Bypass should be I-390, the former is an even while the latter is a odd. Yet, The Elgin-O'Hare (east-west) is signed as IL-390 (an odd) while the West Bypass (north-south) is signed as I-490 (an even). 

bulldog1979

Quote from: I-39 on September 28, 2015, 09:57:55 PM
Just thought of something. They have the numbers backwards. The Elgin-O'Hare portion should be IL-490 and the West Bypass should be I-390, the former is an even while the latter is a odd. Yet, The Elgin-O'Hare (east-west) is signed as IL-390 (an odd) while the West Bypass (north-south) is signed as I-490 (an even). 

The parity of the first digit of a 3dI has nothing to do with the cardinal direction of the highway though. It's supposed to be connected to spur (odd) vs. loop/beltway (even). In systems that assign a parity to a particular direction, it's the parity of the last digit, and then for three-digit child routes, that parity connection is often ignored.

Henry

Quote from: bulldog1979 on August 06, 2015, 02:52:46 PM
Kinda like how Michigan doesn't have any freeways named for Henry Ford. Ford Road (M-153) was named for William, Henry's father, and a section of I-94 is the Edsel Ford Freeway after his son. (The Ford Freeway near Grand Rapids was named for for the president.) We have freeways named for Walter Chrysler, David Dunbar Buick, Louis Chevrolet, Ransom E. Olds, and the Fisher Brothers (of the "Body by Fisher" fame for GM cars).

As well as the suburb of Pontiac (for the Indian chief) and Cadillac Square for Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac (the founder of Detroit), who both lived in the 18th century, when cars were well off into the distant future. Has there ever been anything named after the Dodge brothers (Horace and John, I believe)?

Quote from: bulldog1979 on September 28, 2015, 11:48:00 PM
Quote from: I-39 on September 28, 2015, 09:57:55 PM

The parity of the first digit of a 3dI has nothing to do with the cardinal direction of the highway though. It's supposed to be connected to spur (odd) vs. loop/beltway (even). In systems that assign a parity to a particular direction, it's the parity of the last digit, and then for three-digit child routes, that parity connection is often ignored.
The Bay Area is a prime example of this. None of the I-x80s there connect to their parent twice, although I-280 does meet I-680 in San Jose and I-380 branches off the former near the San Francisco Airport. And don't forget the double-branch that is I-580!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

I-39

Quote from: premier707 on July 14, 2015, 02:13:08 AM
Move Illinois runs through 2026.  There is $2.13 billion earmarked for a central Tri-State rebuild of pavement from Balmoral to 95th, as well as a rebuilt Edens Spur; these would simply reconstruct aged pavement on the same footprint, with no expansion beyond the section that interchanges with the future Western Bypass/I490 and/or the Taft Ave connector, and improved access at North Ave/IL64.  More funds (and land) would be needed to expand to a 10-lane cross-section along the entire corridor.  The Tri-State generates 40% of ISTHA's revenue.  Personally, I think the tollway's funds would be better spent ditching the Edens Spur rebuild and the Western Bypass in favor of York/Elmhurst Rd and Irving Park/Taft connector to I294; then, use those funds, and that original $2.13 billion, to rebuild and widen the central Tri-State, and reconstruct the I90/I290/IL53 interchange in Schaumburg. The present corridor for the Western Bypass isn't going anywhere, and the Taft Ave connector is sufficient for local truck traffic from I294.  As the only fiscally-healthy road-building entity in Chicagoland, ISTHA may need to focus more on the existing (and recently expanded via the Elgin-O'Hare and southern Veterans extension) system while the state and IDOT get their house in order.  A new IL390, terminating at York Rd and IL19, would serve fine in the short and medium-term until a western entrance or blue line stop to O'Hare actually exists.

I've said this before, but since I didn't see this post before, I'll say it again.

The EOWA (IL-390/I-490) should have been built as a free road. I have nothing against toll roads, but I think it's unfair ISTHA controls all the major commuter (Interstates) the O'Hare area (coming from the west), as well as into Chicago in general. We ought to have a free alternative for getting into O'Hare (that's not an arterial). The fact that Illinois can't pay for it is just ridiculous. Chicagoland is becoming too reliant on ISTHA to build new Interstates/controlled access highways. What's the point of having a state DOT if they can't build any major projects? IDOT should have raised the gas tax to pay for the EOWA as well as their portion of the much-needed rebuilding of both the I-90/290/IL-53 and I-88/294/I-290 system interchanges.

ISTHA should have focused Move Illinois on building the Illinois 53 extension, rebuilding and widening I-90 (between Rockford and Elgin), I-294 (between Balmoral and 95th street), the Edens Spur (should be widened to six lanes) as well as building and rebuilding/reconfiguring the major system interchanges (i.e I-57/294, I-90/I-290/IL-53 and I-88/294/290).

I like what Move Illinois is accomplishing, but things could have been planned better.............

SteveG1988

Quote from: I-39 on October 31, 2015, 08:47:15 PM
Move Illinois runs through 2026.  There is $2.13 billion earmarked for a central Tri-State rebuild of pavement from Balmoral to 95th, as well as a rebuilt Edens Spur; these would simply reconstruct aged pavement on the same footprint, with no expansion beyond the section that interchanges with the future Western Bypass/I490 and/or the Taft Ave connector, and improved access at North Ave/IL64.  More funds (and land) would be needed to expand to a 10-lane cross-section along the entire corridor.  The Tri-State generates 40% of ISTHA's revenue.  Personally, I think the tollway's funds would be better spent ditching the Edens Spur rebuild and the Western Bypass in favor of York/Elmhurst Rd and Irving Park/Taft connector to I294; then, use those funds, and that original $2.13 billion, to rebuild and widen the central Tri-State, and reconstruct the I90/I290/IL53 interchange in Schaumburg. The present corridor for the Western Bypass isn't going anywhere, and the Taft Ave connector is sufficient for local truck traffic from I294.  As the only fiscally-healthy road-building entity in Chicagoland, ISTHA may need to focus more on the existing (and recently expanded via the Elgin-O'Hare and southern Veterans extension) system while the state and IDOT get their house in order.  A new IL390, terminating at York Rd and IL19, would serve fine in the short and medium-term until a western entrance or blue line stop to O'Hare actually exists.

I've said this before, but since I didn't see this post before, I'll say it again.

The EOWA (IL-390/I-490) should have been built as a free road. I have nothing against toll roads, but I think it's unfair ISTHA controls all the major commuter (Interstates) the O'Hare area (coming from the west), as well as into Chicago in general. We ought to have a free alternative for getting into O'Hare (that's not an arterial). The fact that Illinois can't pay for it is just ridiculous. Chicagoland is becoming too reliant on ISTHA to build new Interstates/controlled access highways. What's the point of having a state DOT if they can't build any major projects? IDOT should have raised the gas tax to pay for the EOWA as well as their portion of the much-needed rebuilding of both the I-90/290/IL-53 and I-88/294/I-290 system interchanges.

ISTHA should have focused Move Illinois on building the Illinois 53 extension, rebuilding and widening I-90 (between Rockford and Elgin), I-294 (between Balmoral and 95th street), the Edens Spur (should be widened to six lanes) as well as building and rebuilding/reconfiguring the major system interchanges (i.e I-57/294, I-90/I-290/IL-53 and I-88/294/290).

I like what Move Illinois is accomplishing, but things could have been planned better.............

Problem is, that is how you can do it near a city, Illinois has a major city called Chicago, if you're outside Cook County you resent the spending up there. By having it done via tolls you prevent busy bodies from other counties fighting it.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on October 31, 2015, 08:47:15 PM

The problem is US DOT approved the takeover of EOE from IDOT to ITHSA. Has zilch to do with local politics when the big guns call the shots.

I was always under the impression that US DOT doesn't like rebranding freeways to tollways. Hence why in every other metro area the new lanes they build are tollways and the original lanes are left intact.

As far as the tollway, get used to it. Gas tax ain't bringing in what it used to and it won't anymore. You can hike it as much as you want, but people are buying and using electric cars or hybrids. Tolls are the most equitable way of taxing the roads. You pay for what you use. Don't like it? Use another route. Tolls on new highways aren't a common thing at all. Nearly every new highway being built is being built via tolls (and that could be well due to the fact that USDOT gas tax hasn't been changed in over 20 years.) The states that don't have tolls right now (Minnesota, Michigan, etc.) are trying to find ways to to built toll roads.

My only complaint about toll roads is that there aren't enough of 'em in Chicago. It's damn time Chicago starts paying its fair share of toll roads. But with that said, I doubt there are many drivers left in Chicago; you'd only end up tolling the suburbinites who commute to the city. Chicago's public transportation is just too good (by north american standards of course) that you can simply get anywhere you want without owning a vehicle within city limits.

SSOWorld

Chicago's public transportation system is nothing compared to NYC.  There are still plenty of cars outside the city as you said. but the there are people with cars within the city as well as opposed to NYC.

...and stop calling them "tollways" ;) The word is a misnomer (freeway is one too) - part of a d.b.a. brand names for ISTHA, TxDOT, NDTA among others.  (my preference is toll road).  of course I'm being sarcastic - I could care less.

ISHTA stands out because of their bureaucracy, corruption and need to be "different".

Anyone note how Winnebago county is the butt monkey in the minds of ISHTA? from Boone County eastward (even with Boone not a part of district 1, they made the road much better).
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

quickshade

The problem has been that IDOT just can't do anything. They don't have the money they need, were mismanaged for so many years and have spent years just trying to get caught up on the backlog of projects that have needed to get done for the past 20 years. The tollway is in a different boat because the board had a better vision, didn't have to deal with the political bickering downstate (for the most part) and the biggest thing is a source of income that isn't unreliable or state controlled.

johndoe780

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 01, 2015, 06:04:59 AM
Chicago's public transportation system is nothing compared to NYC.  There are still plenty of cars outside the city as you said. but the there are people with cars within the city as well as opposed to NYC.

...and stop calling them "tollways" ;) The word is a misnomer (freeway is one too) - part of a d.b.a. brand names for ISTHA, TxDOT, NDTA among others.  (my preference is toll road).  of course I'm being sarcastic - I could care less.

ISHTA stands out because of their bureaucracy, corruption and need to be "different".

Anyone note how Winnebago county is the butt monkey in the minds of ISHTA? from Boone County eastward (even with Boone not a part of district 1, they made the road much better).

Actually that's quite subjective. MTA has better trains/subways, whereas the CTA has better buses. Either way, most people living in the city have a car as a luxury when they can always use public transportation to get from point A to point B. Having a car in the city is a nuisance in itself due to street parking, expensive parking, and crazy drivers in the city.

Meh, that's all toll road agencies. One good thing about ISTHA compared to the east coast toll roads are that the tolls are MUCH MUCH cheaper. I don't think ITHSA is any more corrupt compared to any other state toll road. One good thing is that per Illinois state law, ITHSA tolls have to go back into the system. In Ohio, the toll revenue can go back into the state budget and be used into whatever program that has nothing to do with the roll road.

Bottom line, I don't mind toll roads. I'm already eyeing the Tesla model 3 so I won't be paying into the gas tax anymore. The only thing that bugs me is when toll roads become ridiculously overpriced (i.e. EOE.) The majority of this toll road was already built 20 years ago and ITHSA just came along and added another lane and fancy LED lights in the median and is now charging a premium $0.20 per mile.  $0.20 per mile is actually similar to what you would find in the east coast, Texas, or California. Very, very expensive.

On the other hand, I usually use the older toll roads (294, 90) and the tolls are a helluva lot cheaper. $0.04 per mile.

SSOWorld

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 01, 2015, 01:04:37 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on November 01, 2015, 06:04:59 AM

Actually that's quite subjective. MTA has better trains/subways, whereas the CTA has better buses. Either way, most people living in the city have a car as a luxury when they can always use public transportation to get from point A to point B. Having a car in the city is a nuisance in itself due to street parking, expensive parking, and crazy drivers in the city.
A good point, though buses are more direct routes in Chicago and have more free flow vs NYC, they do get handcuffed at rush hour, whereas NYC buses (MTA and in Manhattan in particular) get stuck in traffic pretty much at all times.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

Quote from: johndoe780 on October 31, 2015, 10:15:48 PM
Gas tax ain't bringing in what it used to and it won't anymore. You can hike it as much as you want, but people are buying and using electric cars or hybrids. Tolls are the most equitable way of taxing the roads. Y

*ahem*  VMT tax. :>
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.