News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

Quote from: I-39 on June 07, 2016, 07:19:18 PM
Quote from: quickshade on June 06, 2016, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 05, 2016, 11:51:52 PM
Quote from: quickshade on June 05, 2016, 11:01:01 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 05, 2016, 10:08:15 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 05, 2016, 03:46:05 PM
I would love to drive on it one for time before the tolls start. Probably not going to happen I am not going all the way down there just to do that.

I was on SB I-290 near the 390 interchange, and I noticed a sign that says new traffic pattern starts this week on I-290. I really hope that involves getting rid of the traffic shift that's been in place. That has caused some backups during heavy traffic, and it would be nice to have that done.

They are shifting lanes again so that bridge work can continue. This lane shift is to prepare for bridge beam work on the flyover ramp, The work will take about 2 weeks, not sure if they will shift traffic back to normal after that.

I appreciate the info. I know it's a necessary evil, but that lane shift has actually caused some major headaches. Part of it is the condition of the pavement on the inside shoulder (though this is more an IDOT vs ISTHA issue).
Agreed, drove it yesterday and the "bump" could throw some drivers off especially anyone that would speed through there. I know the whole area was resurfaced not long ago but maybe they redo that area again after construction is complete. It's almost as bad as the I90 shift right after the fox river bridge, traffic shifts to the other side and besides the sharp lane swing and narrow lanes there is a dip in the pavement that can cause some serious issues. I see the concrete barrier is very beat up on the swing which tells me a few drivers have done some damage to their cars going through there.

The whole I-290/IL-53 corridor from the I-355 split off to Lake Cook Road is in dire need of full reconstruction, but since it's a IDOT road, don't expect to see it anytime soon. Though I am surprised there is not even a study out to evaluate improvements to the corridor. Usually IDOT will put a study out, then say no funding beyond Phase I, thus it gets stuck on the IDOT website for 10 years with no activity.

There's a long list of things in Illinois that need to be done before even considering 53.  At least it isn't a 24 hour parking lot like the Kennedy and the Ike.

johndoe780

Quote from: tribar on June 07, 2016, 08:38:05 PM

I would love to drive on it one for time before the tolls start. Probably not going to happen I am not going all the way down there just to do that.

I was on SB I-290 near the 390 interchange, and I noticed a sign that says new traffic pattern starts this week on I-290. I really hope that involves getting rid of the traffic shift that's been in place. That has caused some backups during heavy traffic, and it would be nice to have that done.

They are shifting lanes again so that bridge work can continue. This lane shift is to prepare for bridge beam work on the flyover ramp, The work will take about 2 weeks, not sure if they will shift traffic back to normal after that.

I appreciate the info. I know it's a necessary evil, but that lane shift has actually caused some major headaches. Part of it is the condition of the pavement on the inside shoulder (though this is more an IDOT vs ISTHA issue).
Agreed, drove it yesterday and the "bump" could throw some drivers off especially anyone that would speed through there. I know the whole area was resurfaced not long ago but maybe they redo that area again after construction is complete. It's almost as bad as the I90 shift right after the fox river bridge, traffic shifts to the other side and besides the sharp lane swing and narrow lanes there is a dip in the pavement that can cause some serious issues. I see the concrete barrier is very beat up on the swing which tells me a few drivers have done some damage to their cars going through there.

The whole I-290/IL-53 corridor from the I-355 split off to Lake Cook Road is in dire need of full reconstruction, but since it's a IDOT road, don't expect to see it anytime soon. Though I am surprised there is not even a study out to evaluate improvements to the corridor. Usually IDOT will put a study out, then say no funding beyond Phase I, thus it gets stuck on the IDOT website for 10 years with no activity.

There's a long list of things in Illinois that need to be done before even considering 53.  At least it isn't a 24 hour parking lot like the Kennedy and the Ike.

Didn't IDOT add a lane to 290 from 90 to the 355 split back in 2005/2006?

Kennedy is getting another lane from cumberland to harlem according to IDOT's 2017-2022 plan.

the Ike is still in planning phase and the plan will be complete later this summer.

ET21

There is plenty of space to expand or reconfigure with that open median after the toll to the I-290 ramps. Like said though, that section isn't a main cause for backups least from what I've seen. Probably the reason why IDOT hasn't bothered to even glimpse at it
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ET21

Continued my tour of the projects, and did the Elgin O'Hare and Thorndale. West segment is very nice, new signage and gantries lining the shoulders. I-290 interchange moving along.

Are they going to be keeping Thorndale for local access? It seems the route zig-zags over Thorndale a couple times just based on how the bridges and dirt is built up. The new bridges look really nice carrying 390 over the local roads, with plenty of space in the median for a 4th lane if they ever need it.

Clinched:

Stratuscaster

Quote from: ET21 on June 15, 2016, 09:12:47 PM
Are they going to be keeping Thorndale for local access? It seems the route zig-zags over Thorndale a couple times just based on how the bridges and dirt is built up. The new bridges look really nice carrying 390 over the local roads, with plenty of space in the median for a 4th lane if they ever need it.
From the IL-390 Project Page:

Illinois 390 Frontage Roads
On the west end of Illinois Route 390, the existing frontage roads between Gary Avenue and Wright Boulevard will remain and new frontage roads will be built where access is required between Meacham Road and York Road.

Frontage roads will be provided on both sides of Illinois Route 390 between Meacham Road/Medinah Road and Rohlwing Road (Illinois Route 53) to provide access for local traffic.

Frontage roads will include:
* Between Meacham Road/Medinah Road and Illinois Route 53, one‐way frontage roads were completed in 2015 on both sides of Illinois Route 390.
* Between Park Boulevard and Prospect Avenue, a twoway frontage road will be built east of I‐290 to connect Park Boulevard and Arlington Heights Road and oneway frontage roads will be built on both sides of Illinois Route 390 between Arlington Heights Road and Prospect Avenue. Work is expected to be complete in fall of 2016.
* Between Prospect Avenue and Lively Boulevard, Thorndale Avenue will be converted to a frontage road. Work is expected to be complete in 2017.
* Between Wood Dale Road and York Road, frontage roads will be built on both sides of Illinois Route 390. The frontage roads will be one-way between Wood Dale Road and Supreme Drive. Work is expected to be complete in fall of 2016.
* Between Supreme Drive and York Road, a two-way frontage road is being constructed on the south side of Illinois Route 390. Work is expected to be complete in 2017.

Map is on page 3:
http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/11762695/2016_EOWA_ILRoute390_LocalAccess_FactSheet

Unfortunately, it seems it won't be like Texas frontage roads - but rather they'll wedge them in where they can. The eastern-most set of frontage roads appear to be called "Thorndale Ave."

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Stratuscaster on June 15, 2016, 09:50:08 PM
Quote from: ET21 on June 15, 2016, 09:12:47 PM
From the IL-390 Project Page:

Illinois 390 Frontage Roads
On the west end of Illinois Route 390, the existing frontage roads between Gary Avenue and Wright Boulevard will remain and new frontage roads will be built where access is required between Meacham Road and York Road.

Frontage roads will be provided on both sides of Illinois Route 390 between Meacham Road/Medinah Road and Rohlwing Road (Illinois Route 53) to provide access for local traffic.

Frontage roads will include:
* Between Meacham Road/Medinah Road and Illinois Route 53, one‐way frontage roads were completed in 2015 on both sides of Illinois Route 390.
* Between Park Boulevard and Prospect Avenue, a twoway frontage road will be built east of I‐290 to connect Park Boulevard and Arlington Heights Road and oneway frontage roads will be built on both sides of Illinois Route 390 between Arlington Heights Road and Prospect Avenue. Work is expected to be complete in fall of 2016.
* Between Prospect Avenue and Lively Boulevard, Thorndale Avenue will be converted to a frontage road. Work is expected to be complete in 2017.
* Between Wood Dale Road and York Road, frontage roads will be built on both sides of Illinois Route 390. The frontage roads will be one-way between Wood Dale Road and Supreme Drive. Work is expected to be complete in fall of 2016.
* Between Supreme Drive and York Road, a two-way frontage road is being constructed on the south side of Illinois Route 390. Work is expected to be complete in 2017.

Map is on page 3:
http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/11762695/2016_EOWA_ILRoute390_LocalAccess_FactSheet

Unfortunately, it seems it won't be like Texas frontage roads - but rather they'll wedge them in where they can. The eastern-most set of frontage roads appear to be called "Thorndale Ave."

I imagine right of way (or lack of) has something to do with this. I personally am a huge fan of the Texas frontage road system, but I know it requires a lot of extra ROW.

ILRoad55

It's bothers me how The Ramp from I-290 west to Elgin Ohare west is Brown and the Ramp from I-290 east to Elgin Ohare east is a white blue color. Is this an Illinois Tollway and IDOT problem similar to how the interchange has a mismatch of lamps? In fact, that is the only brown ramp in the entire interchange. The original Thorndale Ave bridge was brown too.

Brandon

Quote from: ILRoad55 on June 18, 2016, 08:38:05 AM
It's bothers me how The Ramp from I-290 west to Elgin Ohare west is Brown and the Ramp from I-290 east to Elgin Ohare east is a white blue color. Is this an Illinois Tollway and IDOT problem similar to how the interchange has a mismatch of lamps? In fact, that is the only brown ramp in the entire interchange. The original Thorndale Ave bridge was brown too.

They're not done building it yet.  It will probably be painted when they are complete with the construction.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Brandon on June 18, 2016, 08:53:34 AM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on June 18, 2016, 08:38:05 AM

They're not done building it yet.  It will probably be painted when they are complete with the construction.

With that, I agree it looks odd how it's obvious that half of the ramps in the interchange are built with ISTHA standards and the other half with IDOT standards (the poles and lamps being the biggest giveaway). It didn't occur to me about the ramp colors, but you're absolutely right.

ChiMilNet

I drove by the I-290/IL-390 interchange the other day, and I noticed that the sign on SB/EB I-290 noting the exit to Thorndale has now been removed (probably good since it was kind of confusing now anyway). I'll possibly be driving through there again in the next day, so I'm curious to see how the signage will all look once the cashless tolling begins.

ET21

Tolls begin tomorrow on the western segment. No cash at any booths, I-Pass only.

Lake St (US-20): 30¢
Mitchell Blvd: 35¢
Plum Grove Road: 60¢

Clinched:

thenetwork

Quote from: ET21 on July 04, 2016, 09:37:47 PM
Tolls begin tomorrow on the western segment. No cash at any booths, I-Pass only.

So I assume the non I-pass drivers are billed toll-by-plate photos and are $.60/.70/1.20 + any additional admin fees?   I got hosed with double the EZ/I-Pass toll rates since I payed with cash last week when passing thru Chicagoland. 

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: thenetwork on July 05, 2016, 11:58:41 AM

So I assume the non I-pass drivers are billed toll-by-plate photos and are $.60/.70/1.20 + any additional admin fees?   I got hosed with double the EZ/I-Pass toll rates since I payed with cash last week when passing thru Chicagoland.

What about the rent a car plate pass (even in cars with a transponder) where they bill you the higher cash rate + a daily admin fee.

hobsini2

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 05, 2016, 02:48:29 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 05, 2016, 11:58:41 AM

What about the rent a car plate pass (even in cars with a transponder) where they bill you the higher cash rate + a daily admin fee.
For the non-IPass/EZ Pass users, they pay online at double rate.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/tolls-and-i-pass/toll-information/rates-by-toll-plaza#2016Route390
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-ohare-new-runways-met-0715-20160714-story.html

So with the push for new gates at O'Hare, I wonder what this will mean for western access. Are they designing the IL-390/I-490 system interchange to allow for future expansion east into O'Hare property?

Stratuscaster

From what I recall seeing, there will be ramps from EB IL-390 merging with ramps from NB and SB I-490, leading into the western side of O'Hare. IL-390 won't actually extend INTO O'Hare.

I-39

Quote from: Stratuscaster on July 16, 2016, 11:56:12 AM
From what I recall seeing, there will be ramps from EB IL-390 merging with ramps from NB and SB I-490, leading into the western side of O'Hare. IL-390 won't actually extend INTO O'Hare.

Not right away, but eventually, I thought the plan was to have IL-390 end in a Western Terminal, similar to how I-190 ends in the existing terminal drop offs?

If they rebuild Terminal 2 and expand it west, wouldn't it make sense to build a drop off?

Stratuscaster

While there would certainly be some sort of "loop road" mimicking I-190 at any western terminals, it won't likely be an actual extension of IL-390.

Technically, I-190 ends/starts where the arrival/departure roads begin and end - that loop past the terminals isn't I-190.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Stratuscaster on July 17, 2016, 12:20:56 AM
While there would certainly be some sort of "loop road" mimicking I-190 at any western terminals, it won't likely be an actual extension of IL-390.

Technically, I-190 ends/starts where the arrival/departure roads begin and end - that loop past the terminals isn't I-190.

I may have said this before, and if this is too far getting into fictional territory, let me know, but I wonder the feasibility of looking to possibly make a connection between IL-390 and I-190 (via tunnel, roadway with runway overpasses, or something of the like). Obviously, something of this undertaking would be excessively expensive, and who knows how high of toll that would require. If they are looking to reconfigure the terminals (though not T1, which would probably be the biggest hindrance to this idea actually), then why not take a look at how I-190 ends and see about connecting it to the tollway system being built West of the airport. My reference for this idea is DFW Airport, though I know it was designed very differently. Just a thought.

Stratuscaster

I'm not against the idea, but we'd have to see what FAA and ORDs plans are for the western terminals. Will they duplicate the existing ones, or will they split them up?

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Stratuscaster on July 17, 2016, 03:00:20 PM
I'm not against the idea, but we'd have to see what FAA and ORDs plans are for the western terminals. Will they duplicate the existing ones, or will they split them up?

Totally agree. If they split them up, it could possibly work. I wonder if anyone has made that suggestion to the city leaders. I just imagine that could not only increase utilization of the tollway, but also provide a natural extension of the blue line. Again, trying to avoid fictional territory, so I'll let my idea go with that so we stay on topic here.

hobsini2

I'm sure that has been discussed by city, FAA and IDOT people. I personally think it should be connected.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

At the minimum, they should have IL-390 end in a drop off area that contains parking and a high-speed airport mover that would take passengers to the terminals.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: I-39 on July 23, 2016, 05:30:43 PM
At the minimum, they should have IL-390 end in a drop off area that contains parking and a high-speed airport mover that would take passengers to the terminals.

That would be good as a shorter term start for sure. I figure something more would be a very long term (10+ years) to come to fruition.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 24, 2016, 10:53:03 AM
Quote from: I-39 on July 23, 2016, 05:30:43 PM

That would be good as a shorter term start for sure. I figure something more would be a very long term (10+ years) to come to fruition.
Blue line expansion

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.