News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on January 04, 2017, 08:33:13 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 04, 2017, 07:02:56 PM
Will the portion west of US 20 ever be constructed? I heard that if constructed, it would be an arterial rather than a freeway or tollway.

In the 1970's it was always planned as an expressway, and the section from US20 to IL59 was to maintain that.

However, with Illinois so broke at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a freeway after US20 where the tolls will end until South Park, where it will become a "super arterial" until IL59.

US20 west of IL59 until the US20 Elgin bypass has some ROW constraints, especially in and around Villa Olivia that may force IDOT to give it up and let it remain as is for the foreseeable future.

Much of the ROW was acquired after WW2 and into the 1950's and when the Northwest Tollway was built in the late 50's, the urgency to protect certain parts east of Elgin just didn't get priority.

I don't believe the section along the existing US 20 was going to be a full freeway, the freeway was simply going to end at North Ave.

dzlsabe

Quote from: edwaleni on January 04, 2017, 12:34:03 AM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on December 21, 2016, 09:52:03 AM
There will be a time when the terminals are needed. Maybe not in 5-10 years but in the future. As for now, I see this is an alternative to avoid 290 and to avoid the Rosement interchange.

DZL, what is your stance on the west end of the EOE? It just dead ends at Lake Street. And I guess another dead end, the Amstutz, but that is not for this topic.

IDOT owns a majority of the ROW for the EOE west of US20.  There is a plan to take it as a freeway west over County Farm Road and then it takes a NW direction over Devon Ave.and the Metra Milwaukee West to the existing US 20 and will run on top of it or beside it (from South Park Ave to point in from of Ace Coffee) at several points until it reaches the IL59 interchange.  The ROW they don't own already is where US20 has large commercial interests that are next to the older ROW at Oak Avenue in Streamwood. They had hearings on this section back in the 1970's, but never got the money to start. One plan showed it going over Oak Avenue years ago, but the land is now a middle school.

IDOT is still protecting this ROW as the several warehouses built around it since the 1970's are clipped on their corners in anticipation of a sound wall. The vacant land south of US20 and South Park is to accommodate a future exit ramp.

When WILL terminals be needed on west ORD? Maybe never. Esp if MDW could get a longer runway. The idea of CTA Blue tunneling west from ORD to Bensenville is interesting.

My "stance" would be WHY? https://www.google.com/maps/dir///@42.0016035,-88.18847,20114m/data=!3m1!1e3 They have just spent $Bs? to upgrade Jane Addams I-90 (not sure why they named it after her, as Hull House was in Chicago). There are way bigger fish to fry.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

ChiMilNet

Quote from: dzlsabe on January 07, 2017, 12:52:06 AM
There will be a time when the terminals are needed. Maybe not in 5-10 years but in the future. As for now, I see this is an alternative to avoid 290 and to avoid the Rosement interchange.

DZL, what is your stance on the west end of the EOE? It just dead ends at Lake Street. And I guess another dead end, the Amstutz, but that is not for this topic.

IDOT owns a majority of the ROW for the EOE west of US20.  There is a plan to take it as a freeway west over County Farm Road and then it takes a NW direction over Devon Ave.and the Metra Milwaukee West to the existing US 20 and will run on top of it or beside it (from South Park Ave to point in from of Ace Coffee) at several points until it reaches the IL59 interchange.  The ROW they don't own already is where US20 has large commercial interests that are next to the older ROW at Oak Avenue in Streamwood. They had hearings on this section back in the 1970's, but never got the money to start. One plan showed it going over Oak Avenue years ago, but the land is now a middle school.

IDOT is still protecting this ROW as the several warehouses built around it since the 1970's are clipped on their corners in anticipation of a sound wall. The vacant land south of US20 and South Park is to accommodate a future exit ramp.

When WILL terminals be needed on west ORD? Maybe never. Esp if MDW could get a longer runway. The idea of CTA Blue tunneling west from ORD to Bensenville is interesting.

My "stance" would be WHY? https://www.google.com/maps/dir///@42.0016035,-88.18847,20114m/data=!3m1!1e3 They have just spent $Bs? to upgrade Jane Addams I-90 (not sure why they named it after her, as Hull House was in Chicago). There are way bigger fish to fry.

Have you looked at a map of MDW? It's the in the middle of a neighborhood, and there is NO WAY they can put a longer runway there! They barely have enough room for it as it is! Sure, let's concede that maybe the Western terminals maybe aren't needed right now at O'Hare. But its the same people with those thoughts about the IL 53 extension back in the day that is basically making it impossible to build now when it is sorely needed. It's called planning ahead, something that the Tollway seems to actually be trying to do. The Tollway makes plenty in tolls and operates separate from IDOT (thankfully). So, I ask, if it doesn't cost you as a tax payer for them to extend the tollway around O'Hare and also help avoid and alleviate a major bottleneck in Rosemont, why would you be against it? If you don't believe in paying for it, don't use the Tollways, problem solved! By the way, it should be noted that IL 390 does extra ROW for transit options in the future (blue line maybe).

As for the West end, based on the traffic nightmare through there, I would at least say to extend some type of continuous route to more directly tie into Lake Street (at least avoid the mess right at Barrington Road). Agreed, maybe not a full tollway/freeway upgrade since the I-90 was just widened, though I would not be against it either (mainly on the slim hope that it would be an agency other than IDOT building it). Though the West end is not as impactful at this point as the area around O'Hare.

Revive 755

I wouldn't rule out talk on extending the EOE westward picking up around 2025 when the current improvement program wraps up, especially if the IL 53 extension dies out.

ET21

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 07, 2017, 08:06:57 PM
I wouldn't rule out talk on extending the EOE westward picking up around 2025 when the current improvement program wraps up, especially if the IL 53 extension dies out.

I bet you it will be needed within the next decade or two. A link from Elgin to O'Hare without the use of I-90, and a nice in-between highway corridor between I-90 and I-88 serving the West/Northwest suburbs
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

Quote from: ET21 on January 08, 2017, 12:43:15 AM

I bet you it will be needed within the next decade or two. A link from Elgin to O'Hare without the use of I-90, and a nice in-between highway corridor between I-90 and I-88 serving the West/Northwest suburbs

I believe the western extension of IL-390 to North Ave/Lake Street will be an IDOT project, since it will be an arterial rather than a freeway. So ISTHA won't have anything to do with it.

I do wonder how they will get traffic to slow down between the existing western terminus of IL-390 and County Farm Road if the CFR intersection will be a stoplight. There does not seem to be a lot of space between the roads.

ET21

Quote from: I-39 on January 10, 2017, 05:38:24 PM

I believe the western extension of IL-390 to North Ave/Lake Street will be an IDOT project, since it will be an arterial rather than a freeway. So ISTHA won't have anything to do with it.

I do wonder how they will get traffic to slow down between the existing western terminus of IL-390 and County Farm Road if the CFR intersection will be a stoplight. There does not seem to be a lot of space between the roads.

Maybe a gradual decrease in the speed limit over a longer distance, but I agree that is a small space for slowing down

Clinched:

Joe The Dragon

What about no stoplight there? Make it a toll road till us-20 cost $0.15-$0.20?

I-39

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on January 11, 2017, 01:10:50 PM

What about no stoplight there? Make it a toll road till us-20 cost $0.15-$0.20?

Hanover Park doesn't want that. They want an arterial so businesses can have direct access to IL-390 when they develop the vacant land around the EOE ROW.

hobsini2

Quote from: dzlsabe on January 07, 2017, 12:52:06 AM

Jane Addams was originally from Rockford you nitwit. Just like I-88 is now the Reagan because it goes out to Dixon, his boyhood home.

But the rest of this DOES NOT BELONG ON THIS THREAD.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ChiMilNet

Interesting development about the Western Access into O'Hare. Maybe some type of short term compromise?

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20170407/news/170409017/

Of note is below...

Recent "conversations (with Chicago) have been positive," Tollway Chairman Robert Schillerstrom said Friday.

In addition to parking, "they're going to construct a building where people can come in, get their tickets, go through security, check their bags and take a people-mover to anywhere in the airport," he noted.

johndoe780

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 09, 2017, 09:30:02 PM
Interesting development about the Western Access into O'Hare. Maybe some type of short term compromise?

Of note is below...

Recent "conversations (with Chicago) have been positive," Tollway Chairman Robert Schillerstrom said Friday.

In addition to parking, "they're going to construct a building where people can come in, get their tickets, go through security, check their bags and take a people-mover to anywhere in the airport," he noted.

So it's going to be a train from the west to the terminals?

My dream was to have 190 somehow connect to Elgin o'hare.

ET21

Quote from: johndoe780 on April 09, 2017, 11:19:13 PM

Of note is below...

That would need a complete re-design of the eastern terminals and bury 190 underneath everything. While I'd love that too, very doubtful it'll ever happen

Clinched:

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on April 09, 2017, 11:49:44 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on April 09, 2017, 11:19:13 PM

Of note is below...

That would need a complete re-design of the eastern terminals and bury 190 underneath everything. While I'd love that too, very doubtful it'll ever happen

I agree, and it would make sense to connect the two. Maybe one day long term it can be looked into, and I honestly think a tolled tunnel would easily pay for itself with the traffic I think it would get.

bschultzy

I've long thought North Ave. (IL 64) would be a great limited-access route serving the western suburbs. Lots of right-of-way (or possible ROW) between I-355 and IL 59.

Brandon

Quote from: bschultzy on April 11, 2017, 02:07:24 PM

I've long thought North Ave. (IL 64) would be a great limited-access route serving the western suburbs. Lots of right-of-way (or possible ROW) between I-355 and IL 59.

North, 75th, IL-83, and IL-59 would be great Michigan-style boulevards across DuPage County if IDOT and the DuPage County Division of Transportation could get their heads out of the sand.  Make everyone turning left go past the intersection to the U-Turn and time all the signals for 45 mph so you could go for miles without a red signal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ET21

Clinched:

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on April 11, 2017, 02:53:55 PM
Quote from: bschultzy on April 11, 2017, 02:07:24 PM

North, 75th, IL-83, and IL-59 would be great Michigan-style boulevards across DuPage County if IDOT and the DuPage County Division of Transportation could get their heads out of the sand.  Make everyone turning left go past the intersection to the U-Turn and time all the signals for 45 mph so you could go for miles without a red signal.

IL-83 can use https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10104.0

IL-59? how about Randal road IL-31 to I-88 with James R. Rakow + Orchard rd 3 lanes each way + some over/under passes.

I-90

Quote from: ET21 on April 11, 2017, 06:05:52 PM
^ YES to 75th!!!
Maybe even I-55

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

tribar

Any word on when the extension opens up?

Revive 755

^ I think one of the Chicago newspapers had indicated Fall 2017. 

ILRoad55

Any picture updates? I don't ever drive in that area so I haven't seen what it's like since they opened up the 2nd flyover ramp

johndoe780

The Ghostbuster

I noticed the story called the road Interstate 390, when it is really State Highway 390. Is that a common error?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.