News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Henry on September 17, 2021, 12:50:45 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 17, 2021, 12:14:18 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on September 16, 2021, 10:32:13 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on May 04, 2021, 11:15:38 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on May 04, 2021, 09:37:33 PM
If it's all made IL 390, that rules out a change to I-390 unless they want it to change to a state route at the end (which I don't know if IDOT ever does).
I-255 and IL 255
IL 255 can't be part of I-255 because it is a spur and those have to start with an odd number.
Its pretty clear by now that the 1st Digit Even/Odd Rules for 3DIs are more like Guidelines than Rules - plenty of examples of Even and Odd 3DIs that should seemingly be the opposite value
Quote from: US20IL64 on September 17, 2021, 12:49:01 PM
IL 3d's roads don't have same "rules" like 3di's.

Well, there's IL 394, which should've been I-394 by now, but nothing has ever come of that.

There's a very simple and valid reason for that, actually, which is because from Sauk Trail until its Southern end, it actually has cross streets and stoplights. Only the portion North of there through the Southland Interchange is fully freeway. I'm sure if they were to upgrade the South part of it, it could be considered for Interstate designation. With that, one does wonder if they may ever convert IL 390 to an Interstate designation when it is connected to I-490 (though, it does connect to the Interstate network now via I-290, and precedent exists to designate it, even without a parent connection, see NYC and any I-x78).

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 17, 2021, 05:26:04 PM
Quote from: Henry on September 17, 2021, 12:50:45 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 17, 2021, 12:14:18 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on September 16, 2021, 10:32:13 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on May 04, 2021, 11:15:38 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on May 04, 2021, 09:37:33 PM
If it's all made IL 390, that rules out a change to I-390 unless they want it to change to a state route at the end (which I don't know if IDOT ever does).
I-255 and IL 255
IL 255 can't be part of I-255 because it is a spur and those have to start with an odd number.
Its pretty clear by now that the 1st Digit Even/Odd Rules for 3DIs are more like Guidelines than Rules - plenty of examples of Even and Odd 3DIs that should seemingly be the opposite value
Quote from: US20IL64 on September 17, 2021, 12:49:01 PM
IL 3d's roads don't have same "rules" like 3di's.

Well, there's IL 394, which should've been I-394 by now, but nothing has ever come of that.

There's a very simple and valid reason for that, actually, which is because from Sauk Trail until its Southern end, it actually has cross streets and stoplights. Only the portion North of there through the Southland Interchange is fully freeway. I'm sure if they were to upgrade the South part of it, it could be considered for Interstate designation. With that, one does wonder if they may ever convert IL 390 to an Interstate designation when it is connected to I-490 (though, it does connect to the Interstate network now via I-290, and precedent exists to designate it, even without a parent connection, see NYC and any I-x78).

Another reason I would suggest is that the control city for 394 is Danville, and if you slap an interstate designation on 394, people might get the misconception that the road is freeway all the way to Danville, and be a bit upset when they get dumped out onto a 2-lane rural highway just north of Beecher.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

With 255 it's a hybrid a spur and belt. It ends on an NHS route with lots of 4 lane segments.
I agree on 394. Illinois 1 17 and I57 is only 2 miles longer but fewer towns and usually a better ride to the Dan Ryan a certainly now better to the tri state .

Since we are on It any more routes Illinois could try for the red white and blue.
They did try 34 as 174 . I would try something different now.

To avoid fictional I am asking for routes that exist now that can meet the standard.
The only roads Illinois is planning now are expressways so no new interstates.

I can only think Il 6 and 390 along with 34 and 255.

ilpt4u

Quote from: 3467 on September 17, 2021, 05:52:33 PM
Since we are on It any more routes Illinois could try for the red white and blue.

To avoid fictional I am asking for routes that exist now that can meet the standard.

The IL 56 Freeway to Sugar Grove that used to be the Mainline East-West Tollway...yeah it would be a short spur, but lets give it an x88 - I say I-588

Then IL 56 can be decommissioned beyond North Aurora, and just end as it crosses the Fox River and reaches IL 31

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 17, 2021, 07:45:41 PM

The IL 56 Freeway to Sugar Grove that used to be the Mainline East-West Tollway...yeah it would be a short spur, but lets give it an x88 - I say I-588\

Then IL 56 can be decommissioned beyond North Aurora, and just end as it crosses the Fox River and reaches IL 31

I agree on this one, but probably nothing will happen until IDOT decides what the I-80 to Peotone route will look like. They will want to connect it to the planned IL-47 north-south upgrades.

Has anyone driven through that IL47-IL56 interchange lately? Bumpy, lots of patches and the bridge beams are rusted as heck. That thing needs help.

As for the EOH, I want the tollway to get it finished all the way to IL-59, and get IDOT to finish it west of IL-59 when the Elgin Bypass comes due for its reconstruction/safety upgrades.

cwm1276

With 255 it's a hybrid a spur and belt. It ends on an NHS route with lots of 4 lane segments.
I agree on 394. Illinois 1 17 and I57 is only 2 miles longer but fewer towns and usually a better ride to the Dan Ryan a certainly now better to the tri state .

US 20 bypass around Rockford, west of 39, could be I-139.  I don't US 20 being upgraded further west in my lifetime.

I-39

Quote from: edwaleni on September 17, 2021, 11:28:45 PM
As for the EOH, I want the tollway to get it finished all the way to IL-59, and get IDOT to finish it west of IL-59 when the Elgin Bypass comes due for its reconstruction/safety upgrades.

Speaking of which, what is the status on this? Didn't IDOT have a study out to redo this section a few years ago?

hobsini2

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 17, 2021, 07:45:41 PM

The IL 56 Freeway to Sugar Grove that used to be the Mainline East-West Tollway...yeah it would be a short spur, but lets give it an x88 - I say I-588

The IL 56 Expy is not up to interstate standards (gravel shoulders) and has 1 side road (Golfview) that comes off it.  It will not be an x88 until that is taken care of.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

US20IL64

I drove on IL-56 highway and it would be a waste of $ to "upgrade" it. Fine as is. There is an entrance to a high end sub-division, and I see them being "NIMBY".
Only if there is need to extend limited access onto US-30, but then it is too close to I-88.

ET21

It also likely won't be upgraded anytime soon now that it's primary usage is shifted to I-88/IL-47 unless you specifically need to get to Sugar Grove or the airport. Everyone that needs to go north to Elburn just uses 88 now with the new exit.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US20IL64

With IL-390, on the west end, I predict it will just get finished to County Farm Rd, or US-20. 2nd prediction is it will sit as is till end of time. Too many rich NIMBY's there.

dvferyance

Quote from: cwm1276 on September 18, 2021, 06:26:58 PM

US 20 bypass around Rockford, west of 39, could be I-139.  I don't US 20 being upgraded further west in my lifetime.
With perhaps maybe the possibility of a Galena bypass.

Plutonic Panda

This project is moving forward:

QuoteThe Illinois Tollway board of directors announced Feb. 17 a key agreement with the city of Chicago necessary to construct the new I-490 Tollway – and complete the $3.4 billion Elgin O'Hare Western Access Project investment in the region's transportation infrastructure. The agreement approved during the February board meeting positions the Tollway to build and operate a completely new roadway in the shadow of one of the nation's largest airports, guiding the design efforts and providing land access needed for completion.

- https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/illinois-tollway-approves-agreement-with-chicago-as-i-490-tollway-progresses/55617

abefroman329

If they were talking about the southern half of I-490, then how can it still be in the design phase when they're already working on the interchange with I-294?

Revive 755

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 02, 2022, 09:55:34 PM
If they were talking about the southern half of I-490, then how can it still be in the design phase when they're already working on the interchange with I-294?

The south half ran into delays due to Canadian Pacific and from what I've heard had to be redesigned.

edwaleni

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 02, 2022, 09:55:34 PM

As a result of the recent, historic agreements with the Union Pacific and Canadian Pacific railroads that were necessary for the new I-490 Tollway to cross the Canadian Pacific Railway Bensenville Intermodal Yard, the final design required additional negotiations with the city of Chicago.

This agreement provides additional land, while defining a process by which the design of the southern portion of the new road will be managed and coordinated in complete cooperation with the Chicago Department of Aviation, which owns and operates O'Hare International Airport on behalf of the city of Chicago.

"The amended agreement with the Illinois Tollway provides a clear path forward toward the jobs, minority contracting opportunities and improved airport access offered by the I-490 plan," said Chicago Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot.

Currently, this portion of the new I-490 Tollway is still under design, and the agreement provides the Illinois Tollway with a clear framework for the land and construction parameters that are necessary to ensure the continuity of the critical transportation network that operates in the area. A final design is expected later this year, with additional details presented to the Elgin O'Hare Western Access Local Corridor Advisory Committee, as well as local and regional stakeholders, and the public at large this summer.

O'Hare is like a pregnancy. As it grows it forces everything else to shift to accommodate.

In this case a major new arterial highway is trying to work around 2 railroads, another state arterial (Irving Park Road) which borders O'Hare on the south side.  The tollway has been collecting fill for the future overpass of the rail yard at Irving Park and Taft for some time.

All I can tell you is when it is done, its going to be one of the tightest fitting expressways between the rail yard up to York Road and Irving Park Road, and not too high as to interfere with landing operations on 10R/23L.

Honestly I can't wait to see it all, mostly because it finally will happen after 40+ years and to see how they make it fit.

Now if they can just get the west end in Bartlett/Hanover Park done.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on March 02, 2022, 11:20:35 PM
Well, there is the ramp extension study to County Farm Road.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/outreach/projects-in-your-community/us20-interchange-improvement-study

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 02, 2022, 11:47:14 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on March 02, 2022, 11:20:35 PM
Well, there is the ramp extension study to County Farm Road.
https://www.illinoistollway.com/outreach/projects-in-your-community/us20-interchange-improvement-study

Thank you, well aware of it. In fact I posted earlier on some of the tortured history of US-20/EOH.

IDOT buying out subdivision tracts, farms, fighting with school districts and municipalities and urban encroachment on the ROW. Most of it dating back to the 60's.

I remember the current route being delayed because a contractor building the bridge over the CP/Metra MILW line hit a peat bog. And it wasn't just any ole peat bog.

This highway has a story worthy of an opera.

Revive 755

Streetview finally has pictures of some of the future signing for IL 390 east of IL 83:

Looking east near Supreme Drive, also has a reversed blue on white 'To Toll I-90' shield and what appears may be a black text on white background two line IL 19 "Irving Pk" shield along Thorndale.

Sign east of Supreme Drive

The Ghostbuster

I can't wait until IL 390 and Interstate 490 are completely open! Just a couple more years!

ET21

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 13, 2022, 10:27:02 PM
Streetview finally has pictures of some of the future signing for IL 390 east of IL 83:

Looking east near Supreme Drive, also has a reversed blue on white 'To Toll I-90' shield and what appears may be a black text on white background two line IL 19 "Irving Pk" shield along Thorndale.

Yeah took Streetview awhile to update the area. Those signs have been up since late 2019
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

edwaleni

IDOT did kick off the study on US20 between the Cook/Kane County line back to IL-59.

http://www.us20atshalesstudy.org/

Here is the link for the other study for the US20 Bypass that encompasses the work at Randall Road.

http://www.us20elginstudy.com/

JoePCool14

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 13, 2022, 10:27:02 PM

Those are some... interesting looking signs.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

abefroman329

So is there going to be another toll gantry east of Supreme Drive?

hobsini2

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 15, 2022, 01:06:29 PM
So is there going to be another toll gantry east of Supreme Drive?

Nothing officially from what I can see on the website but given how the gantry tolls are roughly 25 cents each, I would not doubt it.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.