News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 05, 2016, 08:32:52 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 05, 2016, 04:29:26 PM
Oh man I just found this and hoped there would be a thread here for crazy stuff in GSV.  The forum delivered.
And now this! https://goo.gl/maps/7LjVJC7c3N72
The amusing thing isn't the sign, it's the fact that they flipped a "W" upside down. Clever, but can someone also call Will Swith for the other type of cookie?
and the M is flipped upside down 3 times.

wxfree

In the "not crazy, but notable" column, I've found that Street View includes some hiking trails.  I'm referring to step-by-step progressive imagery, not single-point photographs.  In Texas, I've found this in the Guadalupe Mountains and Big Bend National Parks and in the Enchanted Rock, Palo Duro Canyon, and Caprock Canyons State Parks.

Here's the view from Guadalupe Peak.  It goes further west toward the escarpment.  For some reason, part of the trail just below the peak isn't there, but it shows up further down, near the campground trail.
https://goo.gl/maps/CoVSiZoVQZ92
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: wxfree on April 06, 2016, 08:41:36 AM
In the "not crazy, but notable" column, I've found that Street View includes some hiking trails.  I'm referring to step-by-step progressive imagery, not single-point photographs.  In Texas, I've found this in the Guadalupe Mountains and Big Bend National Parks and in the Enchanted Rock, Palo Duro Canyon, and Caprock Canyons State Parks.

Here's the view from Guadalupe Peak.  It goes further west toward the escarpment.  For some reason, part of the trail just below the peak isn't there, but it shows up further down, near the campground trail.
https://goo.gl/maps/CoVSiZoVQZ92
Yep. They've done it in the Grand Canyon too. What Google does is pay some guy to carry the Google Street View camera and related equipment on his back in a backpack: https://www.google.com/maps/streetview/understand/
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 41

In the "not crazy, but notable" column, I've found that Street View includes some hiking trails.  I'm referring to step-by-step progressive imagery, not single-point photographs.  In Texas, I've found this in the Big Bend National Park.

The Big Bend Nat'l Park is my favorite national park that I've visited. I've hiked some of the trails captured on street view. I love hiking in the canyons and seeing all the desert scenery. When I was there in February it appeared that there had been a wildfire of some sort southeast of Panther Junction based on all the burnt up cacti.

The coolest part of the park is that you can cross over into Mexico. I was surprised that my guide from Boquillas that I had back in February remembered me when I came back. It makes me wonder if Boquillas gets very many visitors. I've heard that the BBNP only gets 300K visitors per year and I can imagine that very few of those visitors cross over into Mexico.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

wxfree

Quote from: US 41 on April 06, 2016, 11:37:49 PM
In the "not crazy, but notable" column, I've found that Street View includes some hiking trails.  I'm referring to step-by-step progressive imagery, not single-point photographs.  In Texas, I've found this in the Big Bend National Park.

The Big Bend Nat'l Park is my favorite national park that I've visited. I've hiked some of the trails captured on street view. I love hiking in the canyons and seeing all the desert scenery. When I was there in February it appeared that there had been a wildfire of some sort southeast of Panther Junction based on all the burnt up cacti.

The coolest part of the park is that you can cross over into Mexico. I was surprised that my guide from Boquillas that I had back in February remembered me when I came back. It makes me wonder if Boquillas gets very many visitors. I've heard that the BBNP only gets 300K visitors per year and I can imagine that very few of those visitors cross over into Mexico.

I love the Big Bend.  I wonder how much Google's equipment weighs, because it would be really fun to hike much of the park with it and brag about getting the imagery.  If it's legal, I'd also take it to Boquillas.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

bandit957

At 11th & Russell in Covington KY, there's a guy riding a bike with his BUTT HANGING OUT...

https://goo.gl/maps/nAGGGT8JPUq
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SignGeek101

How about a town being destroyed:

June 2013:

July 2015:

It was caused by an explosion of a passing train carrying petroleum. The Streetview car showed the former downtown is closed to the public, as of that image date.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 18, 2016, 12:01:22 AM

June 2013:

July 2015:

It was caused by an explosion of a passing train carrying petroleum. The Streetview car showed the former downtown is closed to the public, as of that image date.

Wow.  I've been there since the explosion but the before and after is really chilling.  47 people in the "before" buildings died horrific deaths. 

There was a cleared part (destroyed in the explosion and fire) and an intact part when I was there in 2014.  The intact part was frozen in time, like people were there yesterday.  I believe that part had to be demolished anyway because contaminated soil had to be removed to a great depth.

paulthemapguy

If you want to talk about towns being destroyed, take a look around the southern half of Joplin, Missouri, which was destroyed by a behemoth of a tornado (EF5, as high as the scale goes) in May 2011.  At this particular location, GSV shows October 2007 and June 2012.  I stopped there on a road trip in May 2012, a year after the storm, to see how the town was rebuilding.  I saw scenes a lot like the June 2012 imagery you see on GSV... Look at Oct 2007 and compare it with Jun 2012
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0660922,-94.4879564,3a,75y,102.14h,84.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6X1ovr-bXArZZYYQa9nN9Q!2e0!5s20120601T000000!7i13312!8i6656
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 18, 2016, 07:57:34 AM

June 2013:

July 2015:

Wow.  I've been there since the explosion but the before and after is really chilling.  47 people in the "before" buildings died horrific deaths. 

There was a cleared part (destroyed in the explosion and fire) and an intact part when I was there in 2014.  The intact part was frozen in time, like people were there yesterday.  I believe that part had to be demolished anyway because contaminated soil had to be removed to a great depth.

Yeah, the entire downtown area had to be torn down due to soil contamination. Some parts of the area will take several years to clean. Some places may never be safe to build on again. Quite horrific that such a tragedy could happen in this day and age.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

freebrickproductions

June 2013:

July 2015:

Funnily enough, I had just recently posted about that on another forum I'm part of a few days ago (though I'm linking one of the responses to the post I had made, since the post I had made contained a lot of links to other areas):
http://rxrsignals.com/Phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=203&start=1320#p21052

(They/Them)

Pete from Boston

To put the impact of this event in context, a study of local residents a year later found that 54% suffered from conditions like depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. Residents were also found to be four times more likely to drink to excess.

44 buildings were destroyed, 169 people made homeless.  27 children lost one or both parents.

Just awful.

I was there the day the new replacement supermarket opened, shortly after the new bridge opened that relieved a 12.5-km detour to cross the town.  So there's progress.

Beautiful area.  Go spend some money there if you have the chance.

cl94

I want to get up there. Part of my mother's family is from the area. I just don't speak French.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 18, 2016, 09:37:33 AM
If you want to talk about towns being destroyed, take a look around the southern half of Joplin, Missouri, which was destroyed by a behemoth of a tornado (EF5, as high as the scale goes) in May 2011.  At this particular location, GSV shows October 2007 and June 2012.  I stopped there on a road trip in May 2012, a year after the storm, to see how the town was rebuilding.  I saw scenes a lot like the June 2012 imagery you see on GSV... Look at Oct 2007 and compare it with Jun 2012
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0660922,-94.4879564,3a,75y,102.14h,84.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6X1ovr-bXArZZYYQa9nN9Q!2e0!5s20120601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Wow.  I had to go back and forth a few times just to be convinced they were from the same spot.  Turn the camera around 180' or so and you'll still find a garage with a red X on it and numbers spray-painted on the house.

empirestate

June 2013:

July 2015:

I think the most chilling part of this is that the town is gone, yet the railroad remains.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: empirestate on April 20, 2016, 03:02:15 AM

June 2013:

July 2015:

I think the most chilling part of this is that the town is gone, yet the railroad remains.
Well the Maine, Montreal, & Atlantic was shut down as a result of the explosion, though a new railroad took over the operations of their lines.

(They/Them)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 20, 2016, 11:48:42 AM
Quote from: empirestate on April 20, 2016, 03:02:15 AM

June 2013:

July 2015:

Well the Maine, Montreal, & Atlantic was shut down as a result of the explosion, though a new railroad took over the operations of their lines.

It does appear two rail lines that broke off from the main line in the grassy field were completely removed though.

Pete from Boston

The tracks had to be rebuilt like everything else. As for speaking French, I don't speak French, but can fake a few phrases. You'll get along OK.  Go to the top of Mont Mégantic while you're there.  Lovely people, lovely area.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2016, 01:29:08 PM
Ski slope coverage at Monarch Mountain, Colorado

At first glance I didn't get what you meant. There are a couple ski stations in my area covered by Street Ski Slope View: https://www.google.es/maps/@42.7884339,-0.5282,13z. Good luck trying to stay out of the tunnel...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

freebrickproductions

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

(They/Them)

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.