News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Previous exit number signs - "OLD EXIT" or "FORMERLY EXIT"

Started by roadman, December 13, 2017, 11:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

For exit number conversions, should signs displaying the previous exit number read "OLD" or FORMERLY"?  Also, should the signs be white on green or black on yellow?

Should read OLD EXIT XX - white on green
Should read FORMERLY EXIT XX - white on green
Should read OLD EXIT XX - black on yellow
Should read FORMERLY EXIT XX - black on yellow

J N Winkler

I ask to be counted as another vote for "Old Exit XX" verbiage in colors that match the rest of the guide sign (usually white on green).  I am not in favor of warning sign colors.  In the very limited cases where these or construction colors are used to indicate changes in signing, the alterations in question pertain to regulatory rather than guide signs.

With the exception of emergency stop sign replacements and midnight-to-dawn field amendments of speed limit signs to reflect newly increased limits, I have never known signing changes to occur punctually.  It would not surprise me if even Massachusetts, with its well-organized freeway guide signing program, failed to remove the "Old Exit XX" plaques after two years.

Florida is still installing "Old Exit XX" in white on green in certain locations; I have a guide sign worksheet for it from the last five years.  New Jersey has also had a sign on the Garden State Parkway reading "To Former Exit 88" (color combination unknown).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

odditude

NJDOT will be doing "OLD (I-95 shield) EXIT X" in black on yellow as another tab mounted above the normal exit tab.

mrsman

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 21, 2017, 09:55:41 PM
I ask to be counted as another vote for "Old Exit XX" verbiage in colors that match the rest of the guide sign (usually white on green).  I am not in favor of warning sign colors.  In the very limited cases where these or construction colors are used to indicate changes in signing, the alterations in question pertain to regulatory rather than guide signs.

With the exception of emergency stop sign replacements and midnight-to-dawn field amendments of speed limit signs to reflect newly increased limits, I have never known signing changes to occur punctually.  It would not surprise me if even Massachusetts, with its well-organized freeway guide signing program, failed to remove the "Old Exit XX" plaques after two years.

Florida is still installing "Old Exit XX" in white on green in certain locations; I have a guide sign worksheet for it from the last five years.  New Jersey has also had a sign on the Garden State Parkway reading "To Former Exit 88" (color combination unknown).

I voted the same way.  Penn DOT did this in the most simple and clear way and there is no reason to do anything different.

I don't like FL's "Old 91C" example.  It really should say "Old Exit 91C" so that people know what it is referring to.

NJ has a harder situation becauase of the change in highway number.  It should probably just say "Old (95) Exit 3A" but in a green sign.  Additionally, what would help tremendously with the change in highway number and direction would be better use of control cities, on the highway mainline and on the side roads that lead to freeway entrances.  This change will be confusing, but the signs for I-295 north and west should all say Philadelphia, and in the other direction they should say Trenton until US 1 and then Princeton.  [Of course, even better would be just remumbering I-95 as a different number like I-695 as I mentioned on the relevant thread in the Northeast group.]

US 89

When Utah renumbered the exits on I-15 in the SLC area, I don’t think there was ever any “old exit” signage at all. They just stuck the new numbers on top of the old ones and called it good. Here’s one example.

Those were renumbered not because of a switch from sequential to mileage based, but because the stretch of I-15 through Nephi, when it was built, turned out to be about 3 miles shorter than was originally planned, so the mileposts and exit numbers north of there were all 3 more than the actual mileage. As a result, when the renumbering happened, all the exit numbers decreased by 3 or 4.

formulanone

Quote from: spooky on December 13, 2017, 03:11:15 PM
Quote from: Eth on December 13, 2017, 02:01:04 PM
Black and yellow might call more attention to it, sure, but is that desired? Why is the old number more important than the new number? It isn't, and it certainly doesn't constitute a warning (which is what black/yellow is for). It should be white on green just like any other exit number.

Also, I'd go with "OLD" just because it's simpler (and maybe just because it's what I remember seeing when Florida renumbered their exits 15 or 20 years ago).

Agreed on both counts. (although I didn't see OLD in Florida 15 or 20 years ago)

Excluding the Turnpike renumbering (1989), Florida's exit renumbering of limited-access roads didn't start until 2002.

Square tabs - kind of like Pennsylvania's - were the norm.

While I like looking for exit numbers, I'm more likely to look for a route number or road name.

Mergingtraffic

When I-86 became I-84 in CT north of Hartford the exit numbers were changed and they were black letters on white background and rectangle almost the length of the BGS sign.  of course that was the 1980s.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

machias

Quote from: roadguy2 on February 04, 2018, 12:36:11 AM
When Utah renumbered the exits on I-15 in the SLC area, I don't think there was ever any "old exit"  signage at all. They just stuck the new numbers on top of the old ones and called it good. Here's one example.

Those were renumbered not because of a switch from sequential to mileage based, but because the stretch of I-15 through Nephi, when it was built, turned out to be about 3 miles shorter than was originally planned, so the mileposts and exit numbers north of there were all 3 more than the actual mileage. As a result, when the renumbering happened, all the exit numbers decreased by 3 or 4.

Now that I think about it, when the exits on I-690 in Syracuse were renumbered in the late 1980s there were no "old" or "formerly" signs, they just slapped the new exit numbers on the signs and called it a day.

jwolfer

Quote from: roadguy2 on February 04, 2018, 12:36:11 AM
When Utah renumbered the exits on I-15 in the SLC area, I don't think there was ever any "old exit"  signage at all. They just stuck the new numbers on top of the old ones and called it good. Here's one example.

As I recall.. Georgia just posted new exit numbers.. no indication of previous exit number

Z981

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.