News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: I-55 on April 05, 2021, 04:35:08 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 05, 2021, 04:13:26 PM
we don't design our cities for anything other than a car. trains would still be great for large city to large city travel. give you an alternative to flying.

If we had a system that could produce similar results it would be practical. Flying from Fort Wayne to Albuquerque takes two flights and 6 hours while a train ride from Waterloo (30 minutes from town) to Albuquerque is 34 hours. It would be EXPENSIVE to develop a system that doesn't cut current service AND gets that trip to <12 hours.

SNCF construction costs per mile vary by line but average about 15 million euros/km, or about 28 million USD/mile. (source)

For a US example, the price tag on California's High speed rail was $80 million per mile. (source)

The cost per mile of the planned 520-mile California high-speed rail system, assuming it could actually be built for the current estimate of $80 billion, is $154 million per mile. And Amtrak's own estimates for replacing its existing Northeast Corridor with true high-speed rail work out to over $500 million per mile.

To do this on a national scale would be like rebuilding the interstate system for well over 10x the cost, if we want to achieve similar results to existing, functioning systems. It just isn't financially feasible to do this at the current time, not with our current economy and technologies. I am not anti-train by any means, it's just that the cost-benefit ratio is just too high and we won't ever see this within our lifetimes.

I'm thinking bullet trains, and I don't understand why it costs so much to build it here vs. other countries. But honestly why not have an interstate highway system for trains? regionally it could work, nationally probably not, especially out west (flyover country)

bwana39

That is BASICALLY what the Rail component of the Trans Texas Corridor was supposed to be.

Two way higher speed rail would make the railroads move faster.   Even the so-called flyover regions one or two mainlines.

Just like freeways, get them out of the business of cross traffic.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

I-55

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 05, 2021, 09:16:58 PM
Quote from: I-55 on April 05, 2021, 04:35:08 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 05, 2021, 04:13:26 PM
we don't design our cities for anything other than a car. trains would still be great for large city to large city travel. give you an alternative to flying.

If we had a system that could produce similar results it would be practical. Flying from Fort Wayne to Albuquerque takes two flights and 6 hours while a train ride from Waterloo (30 minutes from town) to Albuquerque is 34 hours. It would be EXPENSIVE to develop a system that doesn't cut current service AND gets that trip to <12 hours.

SNCF construction costs per mile vary by line but average about 15 million euros/km, or about 28 million USD/mile. (source)

For a US example, the price tag on California's High speed rail was $80 million per mile. (source)

The cost per mile of the planned 520-mile California high-speed rail system, assuming it could actually be built for the current estimate of $80 billion, is $154 million per mile. And Amtrak's own estimates for replacing its existing Northeast Corridor with true high-speed rail work out to over $500 million per mile.

To do this on a national scale would be like rebuilding the interstate system for well over 10x the cost, if we want to achieve similar results to existing, functioning systems. It just isn't financially feasible to do this at the current time, not with our current economy and technologies. I am not anti-train by any means, it's just that the cost-benefit ratio is just too high and we won't ever see this within our lifetimes.

I'm thinking bullet trains, and I don't understand why it costs so much to build it here vs. other countries. But honestly why not have an interstate highway system for trains? regionally it could work, nationally probably not, especially out west (flyover country)

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-a-high-speed-rail-line-so-expensive-in-California-when-it-has-been-done-in-other-places-like-Europe-and-Japan

As I figured would be a problem, cost estimates are different depending on which site you use, but in general Europe is cheaper than the US, and usually the US is cheaper than Japan.

Something else to consider is that the cultures in Europe and Japan are much more favorable to passenger rail than the United States, so the bureaucratic and political obstacles that high speed rail face in the US aren't as big of a problem elsewhere. These could include politically favorable routings, delays due to opposition, regulations, etc.

California also has the challenge of making their line resistant to earthquakes, otherwise a break in the line could shut everything down (especially if its electric and the power cables break).

The northeast corridor most likely has to deal with a lot of property acquisition in markets where land isn't nearly as cheap as it is elsewhere, and there's probably a load of noise and other "interference with society" regulations that have to be followed. I originally thought Amtrak just wanted to upgrade the existing line on existing property but for a 500 million per mile cost that seems preposterous. It is more likely that some line will be utilized but also new land will be needed to accommodate wider curves.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

US71

Arkansas briefly discussed high speed rail in the 80's, but the idea didn't go very far because people were concerned for how much it would cost.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

msunat97

Update from Mo DOT about the Pineville intersection
https://www.modot.org/node/22413

MikieTimT

Drove AR-549 southbound yesterday from the Gravette AR-72 entrance ramp, and most of the new northbound asphalt lanes have rumble strips etched, so they are mostly done other than striping and signing.  The cable barrier posts are all done all the way to the jersey barrier section in the southern end, but no cable strung yet.  They are still working on the US-71 intersection/overpass and don't have approaches or decking/railing yet.

AR-549 BVB Current Southern Terminus 4-14-21

msunat97

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 15, 2021, 04:39:27 PM
Drove AR-549 southbound yesterday from the Gravette AR-72 entrance ramp, and most of the new northbound asphalt lanes have rumble strips etched, so they are mostly done other than striping and signing.  The cable barrier posts are all done all the way to the jersey barrier section in the southern end, but no cable strung yet.  They are still working on the US-71 intersection/overpass and don't have approaches or decking/railing yet.

Thanks for the update Mikie.  I've been watching the ArDOT traffic cams to see the progress on the 49/71 interchange.  I looks like they will start adding concrete to the 71 overpass soon, but the approach from the Bentonville side is still dirt with most of the wall blocks up to shape the approach.  Still a good bit of dirt work to do before they start paving the new roadway.

MikieTimT

Quote from: msunat97 on April 15, 2021, 05:58:02 PM

Thanks for the update Mikie.  I've been watching the ArDOT traffic cams to see the progress on the 49/71 interchange.  I looks like they will start adding concrete to the 71 overpass soon, but the approach from the Bentonville side is still dirt with most of the wall blocks up to shape the approach.  Still a good bit of dirt work to do before they start paving the new roadway.

And I wonder how long before they start work on the SPUI under the overpass as well for US-71/71B.

msunat97

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 16, 2021, 12:46:11 PM

And I wonder how long before they start work on the SPUI under the overpass as well for US-71/71B.

Per the ArDOT cameras, the crews are starting the dirt work for the new on-ramp from US71 to I49 SB.

MikieTimT

Quote from: msunat97 on April 20, 2021, 10:25:57 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on April 16, 2021, 12:46:11 PM

Per the ArDOT cameras, the crews are starting the dirt work for the new on-ramp from US71 to I49 SB.

Bet they aren't making much headway today with all of the snowing.  I'm so over winter...

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on April 20, 2021, 03:16:53 PM

Bet they aren't making much headway today with all of the snowing.  I'm so over winter...

So who made Hell freeze over?

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on April 20, 2021, 05:38:32 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on April 20, 2021, 03:16:53 PM

So who made Hell freeze over?

The Eagles of course  :bigass:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

msunat97

news release from ArDOT about some lane closures overnight in Bella Vista over the next 2 weeks
https://www.ardot.gov/news/21-119/

msunat97

msunat97

Looks like the overpass surface over US71 has been fully poured per the ArDOT traffic cams.  It's getting closer to being completed.

Wayward Memphian

Look at what Arkansas wants to connect to it

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/05/new-highway-west-of-interstate-49-would-connect-2-bypasses/

I Imagine this is the greater vision of the airport Connector from 412 bypass.

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on May 18, 2021, 07:33:23 PM

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/05/new-highway-west-of-interstate-49-would-connect-2-bypasses/

That's been discussed off and on for several months.  The XNA access would be state maintained instead of a private toll road.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on May 18, 2021, 07:57:45 PM

That's been discussed off and on for several months.  The XNA access would be state maintained instead of a private toll road.

I seem to have missed the connecting to the Bella Vista Bypass part.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on May 20, 2021, 02:22:13 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 18, 2021, 07:57:45 PM

I seem to have missed the connecting to the Bella Vista Bypass part.

You didn't.  The road is connecting to the Springdale Bypass that he's referring to.  The project in question is actually the beginnings of a western beltway for NWA, although it's initially just planned for a 2-lane connection between the bypasses.  It wouldn't stay that way for long as much traffic is already on I-49 and AR-112 now.  They're about to start moving on widening AR-112 as they've had virtual meetings, so the ROW acquisition and utility moving should start in a year or so.

Wayward Memphian

I figure the Access road will be the southern leg of that bypass and run to the west if the airport from there.

Anhoo, XNA landed Breeze. The LCC start up from JetBlue's founder David Neeleman. Insanely great fares for nonstops to TPA, MSY and SAT can be had now.

GreenLanternCorps

Per the IDrive Arkansas Traffic Cameras at the I-49 - US 71 interchange, they are now paving the approach to the bridge on the North end of the interchange.

Avalanchez71

Bella Vista should be the Breezewood of AR.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 28, 2021, 07:39:35 AM
Bella Vista should be the Breezewood of AR.

Sorry, not quite as dysfunctional here as Pennsylvania, but still have several other areas around the state that'll make you wonder!

The Ghostbuster

Bella Vista is definitely not the Breezewood of Arkansas. At least the Bella Vista Bypass will be completed. The Breezewood gap will never be "completed".

msunat97

Per iDriveArkansas traffic cams, the crews are laying down some asphalt on US-71 where the SB traffic on 71 will enter ramp onto I-49.  it's slowly taking shape!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.