News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

If Interstate 585 hasn't been extended beyond Business 85, then why are there Interstate 585 shields posted on side streets, and along the mainline itself? Looking at StreetView mode on Google Maps, both the East Campus Blvd. and Valley Falls Rd. interchanges have 585 shields at the ramp terminals, and there are at least two reassurance shields in the northbound direction. It's also signed in both directions from the southbound direction of Business 85. Therefore, the Interstate 585 designation does continue to, at least, the Fairforest Rd./Upper Valley Falls Rd. intersection.

Mapmikey

That's a question for SCDOT.

In the 1980s I-585 was posted northbound starting at US 29.  That didn't mean it actually was I-585.

North Carolina has also been guilty of signing interstates that technically were not approved.

Finrod

This whole problem with I-585 could have been avoided if South Carolina had simply built a freeway-to-half-freeway interchange when they relocated I-85.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Finrod on April 17, 2021, 06:27:50 AM
This whole problem with I-585 could have been avoided if South Carolina had simply built a freeway-to-half-freeway interchange when they relocated I-85.

I might be wrong about this, but what you are suggesting would have [fill in any verb here] AASHTO to probably not permit SCDOT to sign the "new" Spartanburg bypass as I-85.  I think that AASHTO is requiring any new construction to provide full access to all interchanges, so-called "half-freeways" included.  The flip side should also be true, that is if SCDOT wants I-585 to get extended to the "new" I-85 then a minimum of a full cloverleaf interchange would need to constructed to get AASHTO approval.

The Ghostbuster

Since it probably would take extensive work to bring US 176/Interstate 585 up to Interstate Standards, and there is no guarantee that South Carolina has the money or political will (and I doubt its a high priority on the DOT's project list), 585 will probably stay substandard permanently. Heck, it would probably also take an arm and a leg to upgrade Business 85 to Interstate Standards, with the same circumstances preventing South Carolina from possibly undertaking that as well.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 17, 2021, 01:43:43 PM
Since it probably would take extensive work to bring US 176/Interstate 585 up to Interstate Standards, and there is no guarantee that South Carolina has the money or political will (and I doubt its a high priority on the DOT's project list), 585 will probably stay substandard permanently. Heck, it would probably also take an arm and a leg to upgrade Business 85 to Interstate Standards, with the same circumstances preventing South Carolina from possibly undertaking that as well.
Not to mention, is such a project even necessary to meet traffic demands? The only thing that would come from a major, likely $100+ million project, would appease a few roadgeeks.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 17, 2021, 01:55:07 PM
Not to mention, is such a project even necessary to meet traffic demands? The only thing that would come from a major, likely $100+ million project, would appease a few roadgeeks.

[/rant] That's my main beef against AASHTO's approach to route numbering.  There's no consideration for the user's need for continuity and simplicity.  I understand the desire to force large states like New York, California, Texas and even North Carolina to spend the funds needed to meet a certain set of standards on newly constructed freeways.  But there should also be a review board that can decide that something like extending I-585 is an appropriate use of signage.  Even without an application from SCDOT. [/endrant]

Heck, it would probably also take an arm and a leg to upgrade Business 85 to Interstate Standards, with the same circumstances preventing South Carolina from possibly undertaking that as well.

WashuOtaku

Heck, it would probably also take an arm and a leg to upgrade Business 85 to Interstate Standards, with the same circumstances preventing South Carolina from possibly undertaking that as well.

The whole reason they created the I-85 bypass was so they wouldn't upgrade the late 1950s era freeway. So yea, don't anticipate SCDOT doing this unless Spartanburg gets a sudden population boom.

sprjus4

Question about I-85 in South Carolina.

Why is the speed limit along the entire 34 mile segment between US-29 (south of Greenville) to Spartanburg restricted at 60 mph? The vast majority of this stretch could easily handle 65 mph or even 70 mph.

Additionally, why is none of I-85 - with the exception of the Spartanburg bypass - posted at 70 mph? The rural segments north of Spartanburg (once widening is complete) and south of US-29 could easily handle it, along with even portions of the existing 60 mph zone.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 18, 2021, 10:45:51 PM
Question about I-85 in South Carolina.

Why is the speed limit along the entire 34 mile segment between US-29 (south of Greenville) to Spartanburg restricted at 60 mph? The vast majority of this stretch could easily handle 65 mph or even 70 mph.

Additionally, why is none of I-85 - with the exception of the Spartanburg bypass - posted at 70 mph? The rural segments north of Spartanburg (once widening is complete) and south of US-29 could easily handle it, along with even portions of the existing 60 mph zone.

The stretch between Greenville and Spartanburg is likely considered an urban stretch of interstate which SC signs as 60 mph.

North of Spartanburg was 65 prior to the widening construction start so perhaps it will go to 70 when it is through.

For a while I-26 between I-385 and Spartanburg was also 60 but has since been raised to 70.

cowboy_wilhelm

Actual driving speeds were more like 55 up hill and 75 down hill due to all the trucks. Driving I-85 and I-26 in the Upstate is like riding a roller coaster. I guess significant grading was optional in the 50's. Hopefully the extra lane helps for a few years.

wriddle082

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 19, 2021, 07:52:21 AM
Actual driving speeds were more like 55 up hill and 75 down hill due to all the trucks. Driving I-85 and I-26 in the Upstate is like riding a roller coaster. I guess significant grading was optional in the 50's. Hopefully the extra lane helps for a few years.

I think the 85 widening is also fixing a lot of the more serious grading discrepancies.  Especially noticeable in the Cowpens area. Will be very interesting to see how the finished product turns out.

NJRoadfan

They pull the same crap on the 6 lane section of I-95 in Florence. It can easily handle 65-70mph without a problem.

sprjus4

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 19, 2021, 10:25:02 PM

They pull the same crap on the 6 lane section of I-95 in Florence. It can easily handle 65-70mph without a problem.
That stretch is a joke, but it's only a few miles long north of I-20. Most of the 6 lane area still is 70 mph.

Nobody slows down through there, and I've easily done over 80 mph, simply maintaining what I was driving in the 70 mph, and the road didn't feel any more "urban"  or dangerous to require a reduction in speed.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wriddle082 on April 19, 2021, 10:10:08 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on April 19, 2021, 07:52:21 AM

I think the 85 widening is also fixing a lot of the more serious grading discrepancies.  Especially noticeable in the Cowpens area. Will be very interesting to see how the finished product turns out.

They are doing a lot of changes. No more short on/off ramps, improved safety, relocation of a cemetery in median, improved overpass heights, etc. It has taken them several years, but when done it should become a freeway capable of 70mph traffic safely.

sprjus4

I thought they weren't removing the cemetery?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 20, 2021, 09:33:22 AM
I thought they weren't removing the cemetery?

My bad, it is not being removed.

froggie

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 17, 2021, 10:52:17 AM
I think that AASHTO is requiring any new construction to provide full access to all interchanges, so-called "half-freeways" included.

This is actually a FHWA requirement that also applies to existing Interstates.  That said, they will grant exemptions in rare circumstances.  Such an exemption was required for MnDOT to rebuild the I-494/US 169 interchange into its current configuration.

roadman65

http://www.dot.ga.gov/BuildSmart/Projects/Pages/I20SavannahRiver.aspx

I see both SC and GA are widening (and most of all replacing) the Savannah River Bridge between the two cities of Augusta, GA and North Augusta, SC.

MY photo here https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51195231306/in/dateposted-public/ shows activity last Summer on both sides of the River.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Georgia

Quote from: roadman65 on May 22, 2021, 10:09:02 AM
http://www.dot.ga.gov/BuildSmart/Projects/Pages/I20SavannahRiver.aspx

I see both SC and GA are widening (and most of all replacing) the Savannah River Bridge between the two cities of Augusta, GA and North Augusta, SC.

MY photo here https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51195231306/in/dateposted-public/ shows activity last Summer on both sides of the River.

Crossed over it a few times in the last month and the beams on the main span over the Savannah River are in place, looks like they are getting ready for the deck pour as they have the machine in position on the GA side.

edit: had it all backwards in reality.  Span over the Augusta Canal is beamed and deck steel appears to be in place.  Screed is set over this span and it looks like this work could be accomplished any day now.  The span over the Savannah River has about 33% of its beams set and it looks like the pile driving has been finished on the SC side end bent. 

D-Dey65

Can anybody find me a picture of what this sign at the Southbound I-95 Welcome Center used to say?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:I-95_SB_South_Carolina_Welcome_Center-10.JPG

I can't find any images of the thing before it was smudged into illegibility. A future rename of the picture is riding on this.

Mapmikey

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 28, 2021, 04:15:49 PM
Can anybody find me a picture of what this sign at the Southbound I-95 Welcome Center used to say?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:I-95_SB_South_Carolina_Welcome_Center-10.JPG

I can't find any images of the thing before it was smudged into illegibility. A future rename of the picture is riding on this.

How much of it do you need to know?

It is talking about a Carolina Fence Garden

architect77

South Carolina seems to have raised its gas tax by a lot. Prices are equal to Georgia and NC .

I think NC must have capped the gas tax as a break for consumers during the pandemic, because it's usually higher than other states but not now.

Mapmikey

Quote from: architect77 on June 28, 2021, 07:28:54 PM
South Carolina seems to have raised its gas tax by a lot. Prices are equal to Georgia and NC .

I think NC must have capped the gas tax as a break for consumers during the pandemic, because it's usually higher than other states but not now.

SC is raising the gas tax 2 cents per year every July 1 from 2017 through 2022.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.