News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: storm2k on December 19, 2021, 11:34:20 PM
Curiosity question about MA30/Commonwealth Ave. It runs as a divided roadway throughout the Boston city limits, as the Green Line light rail runs through the median. Past there, it looks like it was built as a divided roadway all the way out to the 95 and 90 interchange but past the city limits they don't use one side of it except for local access to driveways and stuff, and the other roadway hosts two lane traffic. I'm curious why they did this.

It's called the Commonwealth Ave Carraigeway. It was an intentional design by Frederick Law Olmstead as part of the Emerald Necklace.

Apparently it's getting a re-design soon, https://www.newtonma.gov/government/planning/transportation-planning/projects/commonwealth-avenue-carriageway-redesign

pderocco

Quote from: SectorZ on December 20, 2021, 08:59:53 AM
Curiosity question about MA30/Commonwealth Ave. It runs as a divided roadway throughout the Boston city limits, as the Green Line light rail runs through the median. Past there, it looks like it was built as a divided roadway all the way out to the 95 and 90 interchange but past the city limits they don't use one side of it except for local access to driveways and stuff, and the other roadway hosts two lane traffic. I'm curious why they did this.

It's called the Commonwealth Ave Carraigeway. It was an intentional design by Frederick Law Olmstead as part of the Emerald Necklace.

Apparently it's getting a re-design soon, https://www.newtonma.gov/government/planning/transportation-planning/projects/commonwealth-avenue-carriageway-redesign

I'm not impressed. That's only about a third of a mile.

Comm Ave was never part of the Emerald Necklace, which is along the Arborway, Jamaicaway, Riverway, and Fenway. That doesn't mean that Olmstead didn't design it, though.

I recall driving Comm Ave a lot in the early 70s, and west of Washington St (route 16), the narrow side was used for westbound traffic. I remember being pissed off when I drove through there one day, and there was a new shoefly squeezing us all over to the left side. So I don't think it was originally intended as a road with one side reserved for local traffic, just a normal divided road but with actual carriages on it, and then later one side was widened out of necessity and the other wasn't. Just my guess.

PurdueBill

Quote from: SectorZ on December 20, 2021, 08:59:53 AM

As long as whatever they do (in that project or the future work on the bridge over the Charles) doesn't eliminate the amazing old median double-flasher with diagonal yellow arrows and a classic Newton square, old-font KEEP RIGHT sign.  I remember that from when we would visit my late grandmother when she lived in Newton a long, long time ago.  It was there the last time I was by it a couple years ago; I hope it is still there.

Mergingtraffic

I drove to Tyngsboro from CT yesterday.
Why are there two sets of mile markers on I-290? Is it multiplexed?

I noticed quite a few extruded aluminum signs seem to "bleach"  white from my headlights for a second just before I drive under them. I could see how the white and green would blend together for certain drivers.  I don't notice that w CT ones. They stay clear and vibrant color wise as I drive towards them.

I remember some NY signs did that on I-287/87 heading east towards the TPZ Bridge. Those were really bad, you'd think it was a white sign for a few seconds.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

MATraveler128

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 14, 2022, 06:29:44 PM
I drove to Tyngsboro from CT yesterday.
Why are there two sets of mile markers on I-290? Is it multiplexed?

I noticed quite a few extruded aluminum signs seem to “bleach” white from my headlights for a second just before I drive under them. I could see how the white and green would blend together for certain drivers.  I don’t notice that w CT ones. They stay clear and vibrant color wise as I drive towards them.

I remember some NY signs did that on I-287/87 heading east towards the TPZ Bridge. Those were really bad, you’d think it was a white sign for a few seconds.

I-290 isn’t multiplexed. The second set of mile markers is from the exit renumbering in August 2021. There are dual mile markers for I-395, which ends at the Mass Pike. MassDOT has considered extending I-395 over the existing I-290 to Marlborough if the general public is used to it. It’s a little confusing at first.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

MATraveler128

Governor Baker has unveiled the latest infrastructure plan for the Bay State today. 5.4 billion dollars will be devoted to highway funding and bridge upgrades. This includes the Rourke Bridge in Lowell, which is in desperate need of repair.

https://www.newburyportnews.com/news/baker-unveils-9-5b-infrastructure-plan/article_2424a45e-8537-11ec-acff-77e3d6f714e8.html

kernals12

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 03, 2022, 06:31:27 PM
Governor Baker has unveiled the latest infrastructure plan for the Bay State today. 5.4 billion dollars will be devoted to highway funding and bridge upgrades. This includes the Rourke Bridge in Lowell, which is in desperate need of repair.

https://www.newburyportnews.com/news/baker-unveils-9-5b-infrastructure-plan/article_2424a45e-8537-11ec-acff-77e3d6f714e8.html

Why does US 20 need to be widened to 4 lanes between Charlton and Oxford?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kernals12 on February 03, 2022, 07:11:53 PM

For traffic shunpiking between I-84 and Worcester, and because Treehouse Brewery has grown so big.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Beeper1

It's already 4 lanes through there, the proposed project will add a center barrier instead of just double-yellow lines and add full-width shoulders and turn lanes.     This stretch carries a lot of shunpike traffic but is really windy and has a lot of driveways, leading to a high accident rate.

The section in Charlton east of MA-31 to the Oxford line was completed years ago, it's about time they do the stretch west of Charlton Ctr heading towards Sturbridge.

SectorZ

Here is the master list of all things being funded under this.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/bil-bridge-program/download

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 03, 2022, 07:54:52 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on February 03, 2022, 07:11:53 PM

For traffic shunpiking between I-84 and Worcester, and because Treehouse Brewery has grown so big.

Shunpiking indeed, especially on holidays/weekends.

kernals12

Quote from: SectorZ on February 04, 2022, 05:22:40 AM

Here is the master list of all things being funded under this.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/bil-bridge-program/download
That's not everything. It doesn't include the Cape Cod Bridges or the Allston Viaduct

MATraveler128

That's odd. Perhaps the Cape Cod bridges have been put on hold until a later date. Those bridges need to be redone with all the tourist traffic that goes there every summer. The Sagamore Bridge  has that lane drop at Exit 1 and needs attention.

kernals12

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 04, 2022, 09:48:28 AM
That's odd. Perhaps the Cape Cod bridges have been put on hold until a later date. Those bridges need to be redone with all the tourist traffic that goes there every summer. The Sagamore Bridge  has that lane drop at Exit 1 and needs attention.

I think that list you shared is just the projects that had been confirmed by the existing STIP, when they didn't have the funding needed for those projects. There are procedures needed for adding projects to the STIP. They said in the press release that "In addition to these projects, MassDOT will work over the coming months with regional partners to develop a prioritized list of roadway, bicycle and pedestrian, and safety projects to be supported with this funding."

Fingers crossed for improvements to the 93/95 Interchange in Reading.

MATraveler128

Quote from: kernals12 on February 04, 2022, 09:57:56 AM

I think that list you shared is just the projects that had been confirmed by the existing STIP, when they didn't have the funding needed for those projects. There are procedures needed for adding projects to the STIP. They said in the press release that "In addition to these projects, MassDOT will work over the coming months with regional partners to develop a prioritized list of roadway, bicycle and pedestrian, and safety projects to be supported with this funding."

My apologies. I should have read that a little better. But yes, I do agree that 93/95 needs to be rebuilt. I get why MassDOT has held back because a full buildout would indeed destroy the houses on the Woburn side. It's very annoying that those houses are the only obstacle. Also the Canton Death Curve at the southern I-93 junction should also be rebuilt.

bob7374

The Cape bridges project is also to be funded under the Infrastructure Law. A deal has been finalized between the Mass. governor and the federal government where the latter pays for the building of 2 new bridges to be built next to the existing ones, engineering work could start by the end of the year if all parties (federal, state and local) sign off on the plan. Here's a link to a news report from this morning:
https://www.boston25news.com/news/gov-baker-reaches-agreement-replace-cape-cod-bridges/1500d37b-d225-45bd-86bb-866e353c26f2/

kernals12

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 04, 2022, 10:25:40 AM

My apologies. I should have read that a little better. But yes, I do agree that 93/95 needs to be rebuilt. I get why MassDOT has held back because a full buildout would indeed destroy the houses on the Woburn side.
It's very annoying that those houses are the only obstacle. Also the Canton Death Curve at the southern I-93 junction should also be rebuilt.
That's utterly false. It's completely possible to rebuild the interchange within its existing footprint. In fact, by removing the loops, you wind up with surplus ROW. And if you think a few dozen homeowners can stop such an important project that has backing from numerous stakeholders, you're wrong. The issue is cost.

And 128 has tons of other bottlenecks that need fixing. The US3 interchange is bad, with traffic entering from Burlington Mall conflicting with traffic getting on US 3, creating backups that usually stretch onto 95.

And the whole part from the Canton Interchange to the Braintree Split needs a full billion dollar rebuild
-The Canton Trumpet needs to be replaced with directional ramps
-The Route 24 interchange needs to lose its left hand ramps
-Don't get me started on the Braintree Split
-C/D roads should be built to fix the problem with closely spaced interchanges

Also, the Turnpike Interchange is going to need to be rebuilt sooner or later, the bridges are succumbing to concrete cancer.

Ted$8roadFan

Both 95/93 interchanges need major redos, as does 24, Braintree split, Turnpike and US 3.  I would also add that the US 20 interchange in Waltham needs an upgrade to deal with the city's commercial development. 

kernals12

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 04, 2022, 01:31:30 PM
Both 95/93 interchanges need major redos, as does 24, Braintree split, Turnpike and US 3.  I would also add that the US 20 interchange in Waltham needs an upgrade to deal with the city's commercial development.

They're already planning improvements to the US 20 interchange

Rothman

I find the idea of doing a major interchange reconstruction of a cramped cloverleaf like I-95/I-93 without needing ROW to be absolutely laughable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kernals12

Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2022, 03:29:15 PM
I find the idea of doing a major interchange reconstruction of a cramped cloverleaf like I-95/I-93 without needing ROW to be absolutely laughable.

The sacrifice here is that it requires a relatively low design speed on the ramps.

SectorZ

Speaking of 93/95 in Woburn, I wasn't aware this concept existed.

https://www.improve93s.com/

"Improve" translated as "a tiny bind-aid on the bullet wound"

MATraveler128

I think I remember that proposal. That looks less destructive and I think this should happen. I don't see why MassDOT can't do it.

kernals12

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 04, 2022, 04:23:24 PM
I think I remember that proposal. That looks less destructive and I think this should happen. I don't see why MassDOT can't do it.
Money

pderocco

Quote from: SectorZ on February 04, 2022, 04:04:45 PM
Speaking of 93/95 in Woburn, I wasn't aware this concept existed.

https://www.improve93s.com/

"Improve" translated as "a tiny bind-aid on the bullet wound"

That'll make a mess out of Cedar St. by turning it into an arterial road. It's currently an industrial park alley with lots of driveways. Imagine a line of cars and trucks on Cedar St headed for I-93, and trying to make a left turn into it from Cummings Park. In a tractor trailer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.