News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

DFW Projects Thread

Started by austrini, July 06, 2009, 04:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 29, 2022, 03:37:02 PM
So many elected officials only want to do things that can get finished within their term of office so they can get the glory for it. Buying ROW to keep it preserved for a freeway that might be built 5, 10 or 20 years in the future doesn't make any sense to them. And then there's the elected officials who just want to be cheapskates in the short term. They can spend money just to keep some land cleared of development, even if it ends up saving the taxpayers a giant fortune later.
True and that is something that is wrong with politics today. But more power should be given to DOT's to take on this kind of stuff as opposed to elected officials leading the way.

Quote from: kernals12 on March 29, 2022, 06:45:18 PM
Going through with eminent domain is a costly, fraught process. Doing it for a highway that may not be needed for 50 years or not needed at all just isn't worth it.
True but if the land is undeveloped then it won't be as big of an issue. It sure seems worth it looking back today when we can't connect SH-4 to Kilpatrick without a major path to be cleared.

kernals12

TxDOT has issued a notice-to-proceed on the widening of I-35E from I-635 to the Denton County Line
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220329005961/en/

Plutonic Panda

I had thought they were going to be adding a set of two new tolled lanes alongside the existing reversible ones in addition to adding a new GP lane each way. Was that not the case?

kernals12

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 29, 2022, 08:59:30 PM
I had thought they were going to be adding a set of two new tolled lanes alongside the existing reversible ones in addition to adding a new GP lane each way. Was that not the case?
Nope. This project is part of the Clear Lanes initiative and as a result to the great backlash to toll roads, these expansion projects are going to be free to use.
That's clear from this fact sheet
https://ftp.txdot.gov/pub/txdot/my35/north/projects/i35e-phase2/fact-sheet.pdf

Although, I think TxDOT put in those extremely wide shoulders for the toll lanes for a reason.

Road Hog

kernals12

TxDOT is studying improvements to i-20 from US 287 to South Parkway. They plan to hold public meetings in about a year.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/fort-worth/i20-arlington-grand-prairie-corridor.html

kernals12

Anyone know when work on the Southeast Connector will start? I've read TxDOT has already reached a design-build agreement.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: kernals12 on April 09, 2022, 08:48:02 PM
Anyone know when work on the Southeast Connector will start? I've read TxDOT has already reached a design-build agreement.
It always takes a long time for these design-build jobs to get up and running.

The selected contractor for IH-35E design-build job in North Dallas was announced in July 2021, and as of 2 weeks ago there was no evidence of construction starting.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29858.0

There was long wait for work to start on the Oak Hill Y project in Austin .

So if the Southeast Connector is like the other jobs, we can expect to see work start in the fall.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

kernals12

Quote from: MaxConcrete on April 10, 2022, 12:20:23 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 09, 2022, 08:48:02 PM
It always takes a long time for these design-build jobs to get up and running.

The selected contractor for IH-35E design-build job in North Dallas was announced in July 2021, and as of 2 weeks ago there was no evidence of construction starting.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29858.0

There was long wait for work to start on the Oak Hill Y project in Austin .

So if the Southeast Connector is like the other jobs, we can expect to see work start in the fall.
Quote from: kernals12 on March 29, 2022, 07:16:37 PM
TxDOT has issued a notice-to-proceed on the widening of I-35E from I-635 to the Denton County Line

In_Correct

I Hate: "Accept All Cookies.".:

https://mms.businesswire.com/media/20220329005961/en/1404587/5/I35E_Phase2_Logo.jpg?download=1

https://mms.businesswire.com/media/20220329005961/en/1404587/5/I35E_Phase2_Logo.jpg

https://mms.businesswire.com/media/20220329005961/en/759925/5/FLR-full.jpg?download=1

https://mms.businesswire.com/media/20220329005961/en/759925/5/FLR-full.jpg

Fluor Joint Venture Receives Final Notice-to-Proceed on Interstate 35E Phase 2 Project in Dallas

March 29, 2022 04:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time
IRVING, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Fluor Corporation (NYSE: FLR) announced today that Lone Star Constructors, its joint venture with Austin Bridge & Road, has been granted final notice-to-proceed by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) that releases the full contract value and positions the venture for construction to begin on Phase 2 in summer of 2022 for the Interstate 35E (I-35E) project from Interstate 635 in Dallas to the Denton County line in Carrollton, Texas. The Fluor-led team was initially awarded the contract for this project in July 2021. Fluor booked its share of the approximately $640 million contract value in the third quarter of 2021.

"When completed, this project will help alleviate traffic congestion to the surrounding communities and improve connectivity for all people in the Dallas metroplex."

Tweet this

"This project is part of TxDOT's long-term plan to meet current and future travel demands by improving overall mobility, operational efficiency, accessibility, safety and emergency response,"  said Thomas Nilsson, president of Fluor's Infrastructure business. "When completed, this project will help alleviate traffic congestion to the surrounding communities and improve connectivity for all people in the Dallas metroplex."

The 6.3-mile design-build project includes full reconstruction and expansion of six existing lanes to eight with new auxiliary lanes at entrance and exit ramps, along with the reconstruction of frontage roads along the corridor. Two existing reversible toll lanes will also be reconstructed.

The project's anticipated completion is early 2026.

About Fluor Corporation
Fluor Corporation (NYSE: FLR) is building a better future by applying world-class expertise to solve its clients' greatest challenges. Fluor's 41,000 employees provide professional and technical solutions that deliver safe, well-executed, capital-efficient projects to clients around the world. Fluor had revenue of $12.4 billion in 2021 and is ranked 196 among the Fortune 500 companies. With headquarters in Irving, Texas, Fluor has provided engineering, procurement and construction services for more than 100 years. For more information, please visit www.fluor.com or follow Fluor on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and YouTube.

#infra

Contacts
Brian Mershon
Media Relations

Jason Landkamer
Investor Relations

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

J N Winkler

Especially for design-build contracts, issuance of notice to proceed does not mean construction activity is imminently about to begin.  Sometimes this is even true for design-bid-build contracts.  It often depends partly on how much flexibility the contractor has under any prosecution-and-progress clauses that apply to the contract.

Design-build projects in the US proceed on the basis that, for any increment of work, design precedes construction.  The streamlining comes from the ability to divide the work into packages (often on the basis of functional discipline) such that construction on earlier ones (such as grading) can occur concurrently with design on later ones (such as signing, marking, illumination, etc.).  As a general rule, a set of finished design plans for a given package must be released for construction (RFC) before any actual construction activity directed by those plans can begin.  The finished set of plans for a design-build project is thus typically an assembly of all the RFC plans with post-construction revisions.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kernals12

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 11, 2022, 02:38:54 PM
Especially for design-build contracts, issuance of notice to proceed does not mean construction activity is imminently about to begin.  Sometimes this is even true for design-bid-build contracts.  It often depends partly on how much flexibility the contractor has under any prosecution-and-progress clauses that apply to the contract.

Design-build projects in the US proceed on the basis that, for any increment of work, design precedes construction.  The streamlining comes from the ability to divide the work into packages (often on the basis of functional discipline) such that construction on earlier ones (such as grading) can occur concurrently with design on later ones (such as signing, marking, illumination, etc.).  As a general rule, a set of finished design plans for a given package must be released for construction (RFC) before any actual construction activity directed by those plans can begin.  The finished set of plans for a design-build project is thus typically an assembly of all the RFC plans with post-construction revisions.
Okay. Thanks for explaining

Bobby5280

It wouldn't surprise me to see contractors dragging their feet to get started for quite some time -as a strategy to wait out ridiculously high materials and fuel prices in hopes they may fall in the months or next couple years ahead. We're in quite a cost bubble right now. Delaying a bit could make a big difference to the profit line.

kernals12

Public meeting on the planned improvements to loop 12 between SH 183 and Spur 408. Improvements will add 2 reversible express lanes and frontage roads will be made 3 lanes wide and continuous.

Plutonic Panda

They need to turn that funky ass interchange at I-30 to a directional stack.

But it doesn't look like any GP lanes are being added just a two lane reversible express lane setup.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 03, 2022, 09:44:16 PM

The last DFW Turnpike-era interchange left on I-30 (after the TX 360 one *finally* gets finished).  It does need to go, but one of the issues with it will be the UP RR line that goes diagonally through it.  If it ever does get redone, it will likely be a completely separate project.

Stephane Dumas

Speaking of I-30/former DFW Turnpike, GSV posted an updated view of Carrier Pkwy overpass and I-30 new service roads from March 2022.
https://goo.gl/maps/gHhDVyhi8b4oUXX49

kernals12

I've clinched several DFW-area freeways today:

SH 183 from International Parkway to I-820, SH 121, all of I-30 between Fort Worth and Dallas, I-345, SH 366, and I-35E from 366 to the LBJ freeway.

Freeways in Texas are nothing like those in Massachusetts.

bwana39

OK so I need someone to clarify what CLINCH means on this forum.  I had thought to CLINCH a road you had to drive the entirety. Help me out.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Rothman

Quote from: bwana39 on May 07, 2022, 11:03:08 PM

OK so I need someone to clarify what CLINCH means on this forum.  I had thought to CLINCH a road you had to drive the entirety. Help me out.
It's rare to clinch an entire long route in one trip, so it's possible to clinch segments and record them in Travel Mapping and the like.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rte66man

Quote from: Rothman on May 07, 2022, 11:07:28 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on May 07, 2022, 11:03:08 PM

It's rare to clinch an entire long route in one trip, so it's possible to clinch segments and record them in Travel Mapping and the like.

So it might be more correct to say that sections were clinched. Personally, I would have left 35E off the clinched list because that section isn't 10 miles of over 100+ miles in the DFW area.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

kernals12

Okay, now I actually have clinched all of SH 183.

motorola870

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on May 04, 2022, 12:15:27 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 03, 2022, 09:44:16 PM

The last DFW Turnpike-era interchange left on I-30 (after the TX 360 one *finally* gets finished).  It does need to go, but one of the issues with it will be the UP RR line that goes diagonally through it.  If it ever does get redone, it will likely be a completely separate project.

highly unlikely as TXDOT rebuilt the interchange once already with new bridges over loop 12 and a new bridge going over 30 connecting to loop 12 done during the mid 2000's I believe.

kernals12

I noticed some ghost ramps on the I-35 E express lanes just before the merge with Loop 12. Anyone know what those are for?
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8651055,-96.8951106,3a,60y,327.7h,92.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suY1UMErL05a_bkX-CAU2cQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

kernals12

I just clinched the Dallas Phallus. I also got stuck in a horrible traffic jam resulting from construction on I-35W in North Tarrant County near the future SH114 Gateway Freeway. 3 times traffic came to literal standstill for several minutes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.