News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TX-45 / TX-130

Started by Chris, July 21, 2009, 03:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

If we look at the exit list of the Austin Toll Roads TX-130 and TX-45 (they run concurrent for a significant distance), you'll see exit numbers in the 400 range.

Is there any reason for such high exit numbers? Both roads are nowhere near 400 miles long.

Sykotyk

Just a guess, but they probably plan on extending the road further, so aren't quite sure at what mile-marker that part of the road will be. Give it ridiculously high exit numbers and if you renumber they won't be close to the originals to confuse people  :sombrero:

Sykotyk

Chris

Someone made a video of this toll road... notice there isn't a damn car on the tollway. It's in the second half. I guess the words "texas" and "tolls" do not belong in the same sentence.  :-D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7MY3k4VjI

Revive 755

I think TX 130 was eventually intended to be part of the I-35 Trans Texas corridor.  That said, the photo doesn't show enough space under the overpass for any future truck lanes or six railroad tracks in the median.

Sykotyk

The problem with the toll is it's too expensive (especially for trucks), so you'll continue to have horrible traffic through I-35 in Austin.

Make it free for trucks, and you'll suddenly have no trucks going on I-35 and solve two problems. But, that's the problem with toll roads as opposed to free roads.

Sykotyk

agentsteel53

then they wouldn't collect any tolls at all ...

"gee, Martha, wanna pay to take the road that's full of trucks?"
"why yes, Vern, I certainly would prefer that to a free road that has only reasonable car traffic."
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Sykotyk

Hence the problem with toll roads  :D

Sykotyk

J N Winkler

I think Sykotyk's theory for the high exit numbers is the most plausible.  The zero point can't be the beginning of I-35 at Laredo because it is only 233 miles between Laredo and Austin.

I haven't checked the exit numbers for US 82 and US 59, but in both cases they are mileage-based and in the case of the latter, I think the milepointing is based on a plausible itinerary beginning at a zero point on the Mexican border.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Stephane Dumas

I wonder how many miles is the distance between the McAllen/Brownsville area to Austin by using a corridor parralel to I-35? Maybe a TX-130 southern extension would had followed US-83 down to McAllen

Revive 755

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 25, 2009, 09:03:17 PM
I wonder how many miles is the distance between the McAllen/Brownsville area to Austin by using a corridor parralel to I-35? Maybe a TX-130 southern extension would had followed US-83 down to McAllen

An extremely rough estimation via drawing a line on Google maps generally parallel to US 83 yielded 201 miles from Exit 10 on I-35 to the Mexican border at Brownsville.  Measuring as the crow files from Austin to Brownsville yielded approximately 300 miles.

But I'm looking at Google maps, and confirming it in street view, that the exit numbers on TX 130 are going up as it heads south.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=30.351472,-97.593184&spn=0,359.867907&z=14&layer=c&cbll=30.351562,-97.593084&panoid=KLnd31D6zJ-AhajaWNftAQ&cbp=12,218.1,,0,-9.33

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=30.484822,-97.585384&spn=0,359.995872&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.484741,-97.585415&panoid=Ii3oSANazzXT7_q9f43lYA&cbp=12,208.56,,0,-10.61

Scott5114

I've heard that mileposts in TX are reckoned from some arbitrary point in the panhandle, possibly the far northwest corner of the state.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.