News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-55 Bridge in Memphis

Started by Charles2, October 09, 2014, 08:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

Quote from: cbalducc on August 10, 2015, 01:22:37 PM
Suppose the Memphis-Arkansas bridge were closed.  Could the Hernando Desoto bridge handle all the traffic?

I think the bridge itself could as long as all six lanes are in service (it usually does fine even with a lane closed when they're doing seismic retrofit work). The Tennessee approaches, though, probably would be a bottleneck at rush hour since they narrow to two lanes for a few thousand feet.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: lordsutch on August 10, 2015, 01:34:22 PM
Suppose the Memphis-Arkansas bridge were closed.  Could the Hernando Desoto bridge handle all the traffic?

I think the bridge itself could as long as all six lanes are in service (it usually does fine even with a lane closed when they're doing seismic retrofit work). The Tennessee approaches, though, probably would be a bottleneck at rush hour since they narrow to two lanes for a few thousand feet.

Refer to earlier in the thread for a similar discussion about this.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Wayward Memphian

All three lanes on each side would look like a Daytona 500 restart at all times just waiting for the Big One it would bottle neck at the I 240 junction and as well at the 1-55/I-40 merge in West Memphis. It's got a massive cluster×!&* written all over it. I know how the ADHT will tell you how the traffic count didn't facilitate a need for 4 lanes on each side through the West Memphis merge but it's crazy. The last few trips home, the I-40 eastbound reduction from two to one lane has been backed up pretty good at the interchange where it meets I-55.

MikieTimT

Hopefully some lessons were learned and there's no drama with this one:

Routine Inspection of Interstate 55 Mississippi River Bridge

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on August 10, 2015, 04:07:45 PM

All three lanes on each side would look like a Daytona 500 restart at all times just waiting for the Big One it would bottle neck at the I 240 junction and as well at the 1-55/I-40 merge in West Memphis. It's got a massive cluster×!&* written all over it. I know how the ADHT will tell you how the traffic count didn't facilitate a need for 4 lanes on each side through the West Memphis merge but it's crazy. The last few trips home, the I-40 eastbound reduction from two to one lane has been backed up pretty good at the interchange where it meets I-55.

Sounds like I-49 during Rush Hour.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bwana39

There are several points here. This is an old thread and the one about the interchange that would have MADE this needed is on this thread.https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20377.msg2622992#msg2622992

They have figured out how to do it without closing the bridge. I probably would do it differently than they are, but I am neither P.E. nor in Tennessee
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

I-39

Both the I-55 and I-40 bridges need to be fully replaced with modern structures ASAP. Even with the retrofits, I don't trust the I-40 bridge at all.

The problem is $$$ and cooperation between AR and TN is non-existent. Thus, I fear another, worse I-35W situation will occur when the New Madrid fault erupts.

bwana39

Quote from: I-39 on October 06, 2021, 10:19:18 PM
Both the I-55 and I-40 bridges need to be fully replaced with modern structures ASAP. Even with the retrofits, I don’t trust the I-40 bridge at all.

The problem is $$$ and cooperation between AR and TN is non-existent. Thus, I fear another, worse I-35W situation will occur when the New Madrid fault erupts.

There are two points here. First if the New Madrid goes off big enough to knock these bridges down, the infrastructure to get to them will be impassible.  I doubt they are actually the first things that are going to fail.
Second, additional bridges can give redundancy to the grid and in the intermediate, THE EXISTING (OLD) BRIDGES will have several years of life. We have to remember that when the World Series Earthquake hit San Francisco, that the Embarcadero freeway completely failed. There was damage to the Bay Bridge, but not a total collapse.  I feel that unless Memphis is reduced to rubble that would be the outcome with the bridges in Memphis. 
More lives could be lost on the railroad bridges if one of them failed with a passenger train crossing  at Cairo than if both of the highway bridges at Memphis fell into the river.

I will add we really don't have real world experience with cable stayed bridges in earthquakes.

Rick Powell

Quote from: bwana39 on October 07, 2021, 03:48:41 PM
More lives could be lost on the railroad bridges if one of them failed with a passenger train crossing  at Cairo than if both of the highway bridges at Memphis fell into the river.

Since there are 1,440 minutes in a day, and only about 4 minutes of passenger train exposure a day on the Cairo Bridge, the odds seem to be in favor of a train being at the wrong place at the right time. And if the signals are working right, similar odds of a run-off crash into a vacated space where the bridge used to be, especially with the slow approach of trains over the bridge. The odds of dozens of motor vehicles being on the I-40 or I-55 bridges during the "big one" are substantially higher, with less casualties than a passenger train accident but more certainty that there will be some.

Wayward Memphian

Some points here as a kid that grew up near directly on top of the fault line. The likely hood of bridge failure rises the north north you are from Memphis.
Draw a line from the St Francis Lake/Marked Tree to Real foot Lake and that is No Man's Land of a big one breaks off.

That is why I favor any single new bridge to run west of West Memphis to Tunica and the current terminus of I-69 there even when map looking tells you to run it between Marion and West Memphis to Fraser/Millington. That also rules out even if a new northern bridge survives the infrastructure connecting to it is still at greater risk. It is the longer way but the southern crossing provides a way to loop around Greater Memphis.

That is also why Helena as a 4 lane bridge appeals to me. That acts another fail safe to even a new bridge in Memphis failing. I much prefer they push down the I-69 crossing to Lake Village and they build one or both of those I mention

If a big one hits the I-155 Bridge is toast.

wriddle082

The I-55 Mississippi River bridge will be closed this weekend, from Friday 10/6 at 8PM to Monday 10/9 at 6AM:

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2023/10/2/i-55-mississippi-river-bridge-closure.html

ilpt4u

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 03, 2023, 09:54:59 PM
The I-55 Mississippi River bridge will be closed this weekend, from Friday 10/6 at 8PM to Monday 10/9 at 6AM:

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/news/2023/10/2/i-55-mississippi-river-bridge-closure.html

TDOT uses the I-69 shield on the detour route map. Is Tennessee signing 69 in Memphis now, or are they planning to soon?

Henry

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 03, 2023, 10:26:14 PM

TDOT uses the I-69 shield on the detour route map. Is Tennessee signing 69 in Memphis now, or are they planning to soon?
AFAIK, I-69 is not signed anywhere in Memphis. In fact, it's still signed as I-55 and I-240.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ilpt4u

Just interesting how TDOT is advertising the detour route...

wriddle082

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 03, 2023, 10:38:40 PM
Just interesting how TDOT is advertising the detour route...

Good catch!  I didn't bother to notice that!

roadman65

Quote from: Henry on October 03, 2023, 10:36:53 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on October 03, 2023, 10:26:14 PM

AFAIK, I-69 is not signed anywhere in Memphis. In fact, it's still signed as I-55 and I-240.

Yeah just like Virginia don't sign I-74 like NC does is the same here. MS signs I-69 and once over the line it is dropped.

It could be signed in lieu of the western part of I-240, but then you would have at TN 300 a change in number. If Tennessee even built I-69 up US 51 to Future I-269, it could be done.  However there is no chance of us ever seeing I-69 built between Tenaha, TX and Dyersburg, TN in even our grandkids life. I-55 will be for a long time the north way out on freeway to Memphis with I-155 being the connector to I-69 to Canada.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bwana39

Oh come on, It (I-69) MAY reach Haughton LA......

abqtraveler

Quote from: bwana39 on October 04, 2023, 09:20:05 AM
The southeastern bypass of Sherveport/Bossier (I-49S to I-20E) I think has a better chance of being built than any other section of I-69 between Memphis and Tenaha, save for the stretch in Arkansas that's being built out to 2 lanes between Monticello and McGehee.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

bwana39

Quote from: abqtraveler on October 04, 2023, 11:35:45 AM
Quote from: bwana39 on October 04, 2023, 09:20:05 AM
The southeastern bypass of Shreveport/Bossier (I-49S to I-20E) I think has a better chance of being built than any other section of I-69 between Memphis and Tenaha, save for the stretch in Arkansas that's being built out to 2 lanes between Monticello and McGehee.

They would probably build the rest of it into Texas if the entire Shreveport / Bossier part gets built.  It will probably only be around 14 miles from the state line to I-49. I agree fully with you on the I-49 to I-20 part being the only part with any urgency. The I-49 to the Port is almost set in stone. It looks like there MAY be a toll bridge built too. SO I-49 to US-71. The rest of it?????

The Ghostbuster

I could see Louisiana eventually building Interstate 69 in their state between Interstate 20 and Interstate 49, and possibly to connect with Texas's segment of Interstate 69. Beyond Interstate 20 seems less likely to me. Even then, I don't expect Interstate 69 within Louisiana to be built in any shape or form anytime soon.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Henry on October 03, 2023, 10:36:53 PM

When I asked TDOT about that several years ago, I was told that from TDOT's official perspective, they don't consider I-69 to exist in Memphis. They weren't planning to make it official until that stretch of future I-69 connected up to a not-yet-constructed standalone stretch of I-69, and that it wouldn't be official until signs were posted, the installation inspected, and an announcement made.

(Months later they failed to ever make that public announcement for the changeover of part of TN 385 to I-269.)

Plutonic Panda

Arkansas DOT and TDOT have requested funding for a new I-55 bridge and it looks like it will be expanded to at least six lanes: https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2023/dec/10/arkansas-tennessee-seek-i-55-bridge-aid/

bwana39

Plutonic Panda

Kinda seems like this should have its own thread.

edwaleni

https://wreg.com/news/mid-south/tn-ar-work-together-on-proposed-new-i-55-bridge/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Arkansas and Tennessee are teaming up on a plan to use federal dollars to replace the 75-year-old bridge that carries Interstate 55 across the Mississippi River between the two states.

Dave Parker with the Arkansas Department of Transportation says the states have applied for an $800 million grant. The total cost for bridge replacement would be an estimated $1.5 billion, according to TDOT documents.

"Replacing the I-55 bridge would be incredible," Parker said. "The bridge was opened to traffic in 1949. It's just time for this to happen. We need a better alternative to go with the Interstate 40 bridge."

For residents, workers, and freight, the Memphis Arkansas Bridge between Memphis, Tennessee and West Memphis, Arkansas is a critical connector. The Tennessee Department of Transportation says 64,000 vehicles cross over the Mississippi River daily.

If approved, the federal grant money would come from the 2021 bipartisan infrastructure law.

"We feel very confident, working with TDOT, we feel confident in this grant and think it's going to be approved," Parker said.

In May of 2021, traffic on the newer I-40 bridge in Memphis was halted for weeks after inspectors found a crack in the structural steel of the bridge.

All traffic was diverted to the I-55 bridge, causing hourslong traffic backups and highlighting the need for another crossing point.

The goal of this project is for a wider, safer I-55 bridge that cuts maintenance cost, withstands earthquakes, and gives drivers alternate routes.   

Parker says wheels are already turning on how to make it happen.

"If we found out tomorrow for example that the grant would be approved, we would not waste any time to get this going. It needs to be taken care of," he said.

TDOT is currently building a new on-ramp to get traffic on I-55 onto the Memphis side of the bridge.

According to TDOT documents, the proposed replacement bridge could be built just south of the current bridge and use that interchange, though several approaches are under consideration.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.