News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Oddities that defy conventional wisdom - POPULATION edition

Started by webny99, September 23, 2022, 02:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 12, 2023, 02:45:44 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 12, 2023, 01:56:49 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 12, 2023, 01:39:05 PM
Quote from: kkt on October 09, 2023, 01:11:44 AM
What?  No.  They are mostly flour with some sugar and oil, just like other cakes and sweet breads.

Sweetbreads are a meat.
Questionable meat. :D

Delicious, questionable meat.
TIL...
You can grow sourdough starter on different flours, resulting in different flavors. Starter grown on amaranth flour smells like ham...

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on October 13, 2023, 02:24:36 PM
What?  No.  They are mostly flour with some sugar and oil, just like other cakes and sweet breads.

Sweetbreads are a meat.

TIL...
You can grow sourdough starter on different flours, resulting in different flavors. Starter grown on amaranth flour smells like ham...
Mmmmmm...piggy bread...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Quote from: kalvado on October 13, 2023, 02:24:36 PM

Sweetbreads are a meat.

TIL...

Wow, I had no idea the flour could make such a big difference.

bing101

Here is an interesting list on cities by Geography King. 

golden eagle

Jefferson Parish, LA (441K) is larger than Orleans Parish (384K), though Orleans is the nucleus of the New Orleans metro area. This happened after Orleans Parish was hit by Hurricane Katrina.

kphoger

Granted, I haven't been to any of these three states, but...

Does it surprise anyone else that Florida has a higher population density than both Ohio and Pennsylvania?  By quite a margin, too:  Florida is more than one-third more dense than Pennsylvania.

(It also surprises me that no US state's population density falls between those two:  according to Wikipedia, there is no US state with a population density between 300 and 400 per sq mi.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tmoore952

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2024, 02:45:53 PM
Granted, I haven't been to any of these three states, but...

Does it surprise anyone else that Florida has a higher population density than both Ohio and Pennsylvania?  By quite a margin, too:  Florida is more than one-third more dense than Pennsylvania.

(It also surprises me that no US state's population density falls between those two:  according to Wikipedia, there is no US state with a population density between 300 and 400 per sq mi.)
No it doesn't surprise me from a Pennsylvania perspective. If you drew a line from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, and then continued that line to go from Philadelphia to Scranton, and then visited 99% of the land north and west of that line (population very sparse in many places), it wouldn't surprise anyone.

Scott5114

I think what makes it surprising is that so much of Florida is uninhabited swamp land. Most of mainland Monroe County is entirely devoid of people.

I guess central Florida and the Atlantic coast must be really, really dense to balance it out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2024, 02:45:53 PM

Here's the breakdown:

8 states = greater than 400 per sq mi
0 states = between 300 and 400 per sq mi
7 states = between 200 and 300 per sq mi
11 states = between 100 and 200 per sq mi
24 states = less than 100 per sq mi
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 04, 2024, 03:01:24 PM
I think what makes it surprising is that so much of Florida is uninhabited swamp land. Most of mainland Monroe County is entirely devoid of people.

I guess central Florida and the Atlantic coast must be really, really dense to balance it out.

Public domain: NASA

tmoore952

Continuity here will be completely lost since I'm responding to a post in a different thread -- but I'm following the rules or conventions, such as they are.

In the geographic thread, it was mentioned that Helsinki has more people than Iceland.

I've been to Iceland, when you go to the east of Reykjavik which is on the west coast, there are not many people.

Rothman

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 04, 2024, 12:16:09 PM
Continuity here will be completely lost since I'm responding to a post in a different thread -- but I'm following the rules or conventions, such as they are.

In the geographic thread, it was mentioned that Helsinki has more people than Iceland.

I've been to Iceland, when you go to the east of Reykjavik which is on the west coast, there are not many people.
Doesn't seem to be much of an oddity.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tmoore952

Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2024, 02:51:31 PM

To be clear -- it is not my oddity -- it was Poiponen13's in the geographic thread.

It only wound up being discussed here because Poiponen13 got yelled at for putting a population stat in the geographic thread.

If you want the original poster of that to see it, you may need to post your comment there.

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2024, 02:51:31 PM

It's not - there are quite a few places in the world that have a population higher than Iceland. Six counties in Michigan alone have a higher population than Iceland, and the 7th is pretty close.

But when has logic been a P13 strongpoint?

bwana39

Quote from: golden eagle on December 23, 2023, 12:22:57 AM
Jefferson Parish, LA (441K) is larger than Orleans Parish (384K), though Orleans is the nucleus of the New Orleans metro area. This happened after Orleans Parish was hit by Hurricane Katrina.

Jefferson parish had always been less than 10% less populous than Orleans, about 30K difference before Katrina / Rita.

I would agree that from the commercial and tourist POV, that New Orleans is the hub.

While New Orleans does not expand outside of Orleans Parish, Metairie is an unincorporated area in Jefferson Parish that is functionally part of NOLA itself. Metairie alone has around 150K. I guess, my point is it may be counter intuitive, but looking at Jefferson Parish as suburban really doesn't fit.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bing101

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bing101 on April 18, 2024, 12:41:16 PM

Always a fun video when my employer is a central focus of the topic.

Fun fact: one department at my office is the one that processes municipal boundary changes. Every year, they ask all municipalities whether or not their boundaries have changed. If they have, the municipalities send us maps and legal references, and we update everything. In most states, they use our geographical units (tracts/blocks) to define their changes legally, which makes things much easier for us. If not, it takes a bit more work to get everything right. Once it's all done, the next decennial census and the next annual population estimate will automatically include the new area.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.