News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Happy Festivus!

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 23, 2016, 11:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I just wanted to wish everyone Happy Festivus and let you all know donations have been made in your screen names to the Human Fund.  Let us celebrate the holiday by reliving the origin story of Festivus:

Max Rockatansky

Happy Festivus!  Hope everyone got their metal poles out from the crawl space.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 23, 2021, 09:56:24 AM
Happy Festivus!  Hope everyone got their metal poles out from the crawl space.

The supply chain issues have delayed the delivery of poles, thus lending fuel to the Airing of Grievances.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Another year that George is skipping the holiday, and with Frank gone, who will preside over the festivities?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on December 23, 2021, 10:18:39 AM
Another year that George is skipping the holiday, and with Frank gone, who will preside over the festivities?

He never pinned Frank in the Feats of Strength, so Festivus has never ended.

JayhawkCO

How many grievances can I air today...

jmacswimmer

Wish I could celebrate Festivus with you all, but I gotta get back to work at H&H...they're not recognizing Festivus as a holiday, unfortunately.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

CtrlAltDel

I got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about it!
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hbelkins

Add "Seinfeld" to the list of minor things that bother me. That show holds absolutely no attraction for me.

Neither did "Friends," for that matter.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: hbelkins on December 23, 2021, 07:56:20 PM
Add "Seinfeld" to the list of minor things that bother me. That show holds absolutely no attraction for me.

Well, I have some good news for you, then, maybe. Festivus was not invented for Seinfeld. The show merely popularized it.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ilpt4u

Seinfeld I at least found somewhat entertaining and funny.

I never figured out the appeal of Friends. Whoever manned the "laugh track"  button for that show has a very different sense of humor than me

wanderer2575

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 24, 2021, 05:37:56 PM

Seinfeld had funny stuff, but the characters were such jerks that I could never enjoy it.  The few times I tuned in, I could stand only a few minutes of them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 24, 2021, 05:42:30 PM

Seinfeld had funny stuff, but the characters were such jerks that I could never enjoy it.  The few times I tuned in, I could stand only a few minutes of them.

That's the part I guess resonated with me, I know way too many people that act like that in real life.  Friends on the other didn't resonate with me because I didn't think anyone the premise and characters were relatable.  My wife feels the exact opposite of me with both shows.

Takumi

I never figured out the appeal of Friends. Whoever manned the "laugh track"  button for that show has a very different sense of humor than me
It had a live audience.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Big John

I believe Friends had a female target audience.  It not, it came out that way.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Takumi on December 24, 2021, 10:26:51 PM

It had a live audience.

Even though shows have live audiences, they often dub in laughter tracks. If you notice on shows like SNL, the live audience occasionally has odd laughter from someone, or no laughter at all (or moaning) when a joke bombs.  On sitcoms, all laughter is consistently the same, joke after joke, show after show.

Takumi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2021, 11:26:57 PM
Quote from: Takumi on December 24, 2021, 10:26:51 PM

It had a live audience.

Even though shows have live audiences, they often dub in laughter tracks. If you notice on shows like SNL, the live audience occasionally has odd laughter from someone, or no laughter at all (or moaning) when a joke bombs.  On sitcoms, all laughter is consistently the same, joke after joke, show after show.
Tell me you haven't watched Friends without telling me you haven't watched Friends.

/Carnac hat

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GCrites

Up until about 2000, a lot of laugh tracks from the '50s were still in use so a lot of people you heard laughing were actually dead.

Scott5114

Quote from: GCrites80s on December 25, 2021, 08:35:22 PM
Up until about 2000, a lot of laugh tracks from the '50s were still in use so a lot of people you heard laughing were actually dead.

Which is mostly because one guy had a monopoly on laugh tracks until then. https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/charlie-douglass-and-his-laff-box-invented-the-laugh-track-as-we-know-it.html
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Big John on December 24, 2021, 11:05:57 PM
I believe Friends had a female target audience.  It not, it came out that way.

I don't think it actually did.  The one thing I don't understand, though, is right now the show is extremely popular among people (of all genders) who were either not alive or who were extremely young when the show was in its prime. I know a lot of people in their early to mid 20's who are rabid fans of the show, and the reunion special they had seemed to be more popular among younger people than its original target audience.

I thought the show was okay and often watched it when I was younger, but nowadays I absolutely can't stand it and don't understand how anyone could like it, especially younger people. Most of the jokes aren't funny and the characters are mostly unlikable.

As for the original subject of the thread, I thought Seinfeld was okay. It's not the best thing since sliced bread but there were at least a few episodes that I really liked, including the Festivus episode.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Henry

Spoken like someone who loved Raymond...

I used to like Seinfeld back in the day, but then grew tired of it because all four of the main characters continued to be menaces to society, and were eventually exposed for that. Nowadays I can't even stand watching it, instead going for the more sensible sitcoms (do such shows exist anymore?), i.e. Frasier or Mike & Molly.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on December 27, 2021, 10:54:05 AM

I used to like Seinfeld back in the day, but then grew tired of it because all four of the main characters continued to be menaces to society, and were eventually exposed for that. Nowadays I can't even stand watching it, instead going for the more sensible sitcoms (do such shows exist anymore?), i.e. Frasier or Mike & Molly.

One person actually got the reference when called the new grabless restroom door handles "Niles Crane Handles"  at work during a staff meeting.  Surprised the hell out of me but made the lame joke worth it.

Takumi

Quote from: Henry on December 27, 2021, 10:54:05 AM
That was a show where every episode seemed to end with more problems in the house than at the beginning.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Road Hog

I think I get more of the Seinfeld references than I do the actual show. Festivus, "spongeworthy," etc.

Takumi

Quote from: Road Hog on January 08, 2022, 03:48:30 AM
I think I get more of the Seinfeld references than I do the actual show. Festivus, "spongeworthy," etc.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.