News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

QuoteMay 13, 2019: Signs with the number 13 in them

US 13 in Philadelphia

Indiana 13

Ohio 13

Speed limits limit life

oscar

NL 13:

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Eth

Exit 13 on I-285:

13 miles to Dawsonville on GA 136/183:

Mile marker 13 for GA 53 in Dawson County:

csw

I did New York, Wisconsin, and Tennessee for the last "13" challenge, so here are some different states.

IL 13 in Carbondale.

Exit 13 on I-89, approaching Burlington, VT.

13 miles to Logansport, IN, on old US 24.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

formulanone

Halton RR 13:

Exit 13 on I-10 in Mississippi:

13 miles (or 21 kilometers) to Temecula, CA:

kphoger

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on May 13, 2019, 10:02:13 PM

Hey, that's not the number 13!  That's the digit 1 followed by the digit 3.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Truvelo

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2019, 02:32:14 PM
Hey, that's not the number 13!  That's the digit 1 followed by the digit 3.

I had the same idea as I have some pictures of longer numbers with the digits 13 in them but decided against playing them for this reason.
Speed limits limit life

oscar

QuoteApril 23, 2019: Post pictures of signs with the places mentioned in Johnny Cash's I've Been Everywhere.  Remaining places: Winnemucca, Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota, Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota, Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma, Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma, Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo, Tocopilla, Barranquilla, Padilla, Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana, Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana, Monterey, Faraday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa, Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa, Tennessee, Hennessey, Chicopee, Spirit Lake, Grand Lake, Devil's Lake, Crater Lake, Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Ombabika, Schefferville, Waterville, Costa Rica, Bakersfield, Shreveport, Hackensack, Cadillac, Fond du Lac, Davenport, Idaho, Jellico, Argentina, Diamantina, Pasadena, Catalina, Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado, Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, El Dorado, Larimore, Admore, Haverstraw, Chatanika, Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelaka, Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City.

Nothing new to check off, I'm just noting that one of the places so far unchecked, Schefferville, appears to be even more impressive than Gravelbourg SK which I mentioned earlier. It's apparently a remote mining town in northeastern Quebec, just north of the Labrador border. There is no road access, but passenger trains serve Schefferville twice a week, on a line starting in Sept-Iles QC and cutting through western Labrador.

I haven't been to Schefferville, but did cross the rail line going there when I drove the Trans-Labrador Highway. I remembered that while playing in my car "I've Been Everywhere" on the Johnny Cash CD I just bought.

csw

QuoteMay 31, 2019. Beltways or urban freeways signed as state routes.

This is an excuse for me to post some pictures from my most recent trip.

AZ 51, the Piestewa Freeway, in Phoenix.

OK 51, the Broken Arrow Expressway, in Tulsa.

MO 370 near St. Charles.

US 89

QuoteMay 31, 2019. Beltways or urban freeways signed as state routes.

GA 166 (Langford Parkway) in Atlanta:

UT 201 in Salt Lake City:

TX Loop 289 (well okay, the frontage road) in Lubbock:

oscar

VA 288 (partial beltway on west side of Richmond):

wanderer2575

QuoteJune 2, 1019:  BGS shield salads:  BGSs on a single gantry or bridge mount with a total of eight or more route shields.

Winchester, VA:

Greensboro, NC:

Sanford, NC:

csw

QuoteJune 2, 1019:  BGS shield salads:  BGSs on a single gantry or bridge mount with a total of eight or more route shields.

I could only find 1 photo of mine that has 8, if you count the Indiana Toll Road marker as a shield. From the Chicago Skyway.

csw

QuoteJune 13, 2019. Three locations on the same sign/assembly that start with the same letter.

Macoupin Co., IL, for Carlinville, Chesterton, and Carrollton.

Rappahannock Co., VA, for Washington, Warrenton, and Winchester.

MNHighwayMan

QuoteJune 13, 2019. Three locations on the same sign/assembly that start with the same letter.

Stearns County, MN: St. Cloud, Sartell, or St. Stephen. On CR-133 near CR-4. March 24, 2018.

csw

Time to kickstart this thread again for July.

QuoteJuly 1, 2019. Assemblies featuring both Highway Gothic and Clearview fonts.

Thought I would have more than this, but all I could find was this overhead from I-70 in Washington, PA. Lots of states alternate fonts between signs (IL, PA, OH, KY, AZ), but rarely on the same assembly.

formulanone

QuoteJuly 1, 2019. Assemblies featuring both Highway Gothic and Clearview fonts.

Start of I-565:

Technically, this is the proper usage - Clearview wouldn't be used for negative contrast:

Just for fun here's both fonts on shields in Fort McMurray, Alberta:

Mergingtraffic

Quote7/2/19 Pictures of roads with their original pavement or concrete lanes showing today

I-684 Katonah, concrete dates to around 1970.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

formulanone

Quote7/2/19 Pictures of roads with their original pavement or concrete lanes showing today

Old Dixie Highway in Flagler County, Florida:

US71

Yeah, I'm a day late. Still recovering from my trip
US 20 near North Ridgeville, Ohio
The road is being rebuilt and you can see the old brick pavement under the present pavement.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

csw

QuoteJuly 3, 2019. Place names ending in -delphia.

I don't have any photos for the obvious city but here's Triadelphia, WV, from I-70.

formulanone

Philadelphia, Mississippi:

Jim

Here's Tennessee's Philadelphia.  I-75.  June 28, 2014.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

csw

QuoteJuly 7, 2019. Photos with at least four 7s.

AZ 77 and AZ 377 in Holbrook.

US 77 and US 270 2x in Oklahoma City.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.