News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: Road Hog on December 05, 2021, 09:40:43 PM
Drove up that way for Turkey Day and I hope I'm eyeballing the inside and outside shoulders incorrectly, because both seemed way short of interstate specs on the new construction up to the Heber exit.

The 2-mile Jax segment between Vandenburg and Main hasn't been touched yet. In fact, weeds are growing in the road cracks. They need to dig that shit up when they terraform Mars.

Shoulders and ramps need work for sure.  They're pretty much going to need to consider 6-laning everything through Jacksonville, if that already isn't the plan, so they'll need to push the main carriageways all the way to the edge of the access roads and separate with barrier.  The tricky part of the Jacksonville work is going to be the James St. overpass as they will need to redo the dirtwork under it to make room for shoulder widening/6 laning.

James St. Overpass

capt.ron

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 06, 2021, 08:36:02 AM
Drove up that way for Turkey Day and I hope I'm eyeballing the inside and outside shoulders incorrectly, because both seemed way short of interstate specs on the new construction up to the Heber exit.

The 2-mile Jax segment between Vandenburg and Main hasn't been touched yet. In fact, weeds are growing in the road cracks. They need to dig that shit up when they terraform Mars.

Shoulders and ramps need work for sure.  They're pretty much going to need to consider 6-laning everything through Jacksonville, if that already isn't the plan, so they'll need to push the main carriageways all the way to the edge of the access roads and separate with barrier.  The tricky part of the Jacksonville work is going to be the James St. overpass as they will need to redo the dirtwork under it to make room for shoulder widening/6 laning.

James St. Overpass
6 laning is definitely in the works on 67 (Future I-57) in Jacksonville and it will be one nasty mess once it gets started. And as already stated, James St will have to have its overpass removed and reconfigured to make way for the wider freeway.
The shoulders, both inner and outer are substandard through Jacksonville. Once you pass Vandenburg (exit 11) heading north, you will be greeted by an extra traffic lane and wider shoulders, both inner and outer and they are wide enough to be "interstate" quality. In fact, the i-30 Arkansas River bridge is NOT interstate standard given the narrow outer shoulders.
Also, according to ARDOT's STIP, the section of US 67 from exit 16 to 19 is also slated to be replaced in the not too distant future (expanding from 4 to 6 lanes).

US20IL64

Glad to see I-57 going further, and not just a nearly 'intra-state' route. Will be able to go to DFW/TX from Chicagoland easier,  :cool:

I-39

Quote from: capt.ron on December 07, 2021, 12:52:28 AM

James St. Overpass
6 laning is definitely in the works on 67 (Future I-57) in Jacksonville and it will be one nasty mess once it gets started. And as already stated, James St will have to have its overpass removed and reconfigured to make way for the wider freeway.
The shoulders, both inner and outer are substandard through Jacksonville. Once you pass Vandenburg (exit 11) heading north, you will be greeted by an extra traffic lane and wider shoulders, both inner and outer and they are wide enough to be "interstate" quality. In fact, the i-30 Arkansas River bridge is NOT interstate standard given the narrow outer shoulders.
Also, according to ARDOT's STIP, the section of US 67 from exit 16 to 19 is also slated to be replaced in the not too distant future (expanding from 4 to 6 lanes).

What is taking so long to complete the Main Street to Vandenberg Blvd segment in Jacksonville? It sticks out like a sore thumb. They keep pushing it back for whatever reason.

capt.ron

Quote from: I-39 on December 07, 2021, 12:31:23 PM
Quote from: capt.ron on December 07, 2021, 12:52:28 AM

James St. Overpass

What is taking so long to complete the Main Street to Vandenberg Blvd segment in Jacksonville? It sticks out like a sore thumb. They keep pushing it back for whatever reason.

They had all of that "eminent domain" land near the freeway to deal with and then the utilities that had to be relocated and whatnot. I think they're getting their ducks in the row before they begin the last leg of that project.
Other than that, the portion of US 67 in White County is nearing completion. They are doing shoulder work right now. They were milling the surface down and replacing cracked sections of the freeway over the past year. The section in Lonoke county (up to exit 19) is next once they finish up the project in White County.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/2022-January-Letting-to-Post.pdf

The project to widen US 67 (Future I-57) through the cities of Jacksonville and Cabot (aka "The Gap") to three lanes in each direction is scheduled to let construction on/after May 18, 2022.

capt.ron

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 17, 2021, 04:38:20 PM
https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/2022-January-Letting-to-Post.pdf

The project to widen US 67 (Future I-57) through the cities of Jacksonville and Cabot (aka "The Gap") to three lanes in each direction is scheduled to let construction on/after May 18, 2022.
Finally they are moving forward with this. Within the widening project, the project also includes rebuilding both exits 16 and 19. The new overpasses are slated to be SPUI's.

Road Hog

Quote from: capt.ron on December 18, 2021, 02:18:53 PM

Finally they are moving forward with this. Within the widening project, the project also includes rebuilding both exits 16 and 19. The new overpasses are slated to be SPUI's.
Good. Exit 16 is a disaster even with the modifications made over the years. Evening traffic continually backs up onto the main lanes because 367 is too close and the traffic light there is a choke point. A SPUI would solve that issue.

MikieTimT

So, hopefully by 2025, most of I-57 in AR can be signed, at least up through Walnut Ridge.  By then, there should be movement on the new-terrain portions as well, or at least a route picked and ROW bought so that utility work can begin.

edwaleni

While comments closed on August 2nd, 2021 the response to the NOI for US-67/I-57 is due to be uploaded in the 1Q of 2022.

https://www.regulations.gov/search?filter=FHWA-2021-0009

mvak36

https://www.modot.org/node/24975

MoDOT Plans Virtual Public Hearing to Discuss Route 67 (Future I-57) in Butler County
MoDOT Accepts Public Input on Planned Improvements

SIKESTON–The Missouri Department of Transportation will hold a virtual public hearing to discuss a proposed project to upgrade U.S. Route 67 in Butler County to four lanes in preparation for Future I-57. 

The virtual public hearing will be held Thursday, Feb. 3 from 4 to 6 p.m., with formal presentations beginning at 4 and 5 p.m. The same presentation will be delivered at both 4 and 5 p.m. to provide attendees with multiple opportunities to join the discussion. Throughout the online hearing, there will opportunities for attendees to ask questions or share comments. Attendees can join the virtual public hearing on Feb. 3 by visiting www.modot.org/futureI57.

The proposed project includes upgrading Route 67 to interstate standards from the Route 160/158 interchange south of Poplar Bluff, Missouri to the Missouri/Arkansas state line. The entire project limits are broken down into five phases: Phases 1A and 1B, as well as Phases 2-4.

Phases 1A, 1B and 2 are funded. Phase 1A received funding through Governor Mike Parson's cost share program. Phases 1B and 2 were funded thanks to a cost share between MoDOT and the City of Poplar Bluff. This was made possible after Poplar Bluff voters approved a ballot measure led by the Highway 67 Corporation to help fund the expansion in August 2019.

The virtual public hearing will focus on Phase 2, which includes upgrading a two-mile section of Route 67 to four lanes from County Road 338 to County Road 352.

Funding is not yet secured for Phases 3 and 4; schedules will be determined as funding becomes available.

Interested persons may review the project in more detail and share their thoughts at www.modot.org/futureI57. Individuals interested in attending the virtual public hearing may visit www.modot.org/futureI57 to join on Feb. 3.

Comments will be accepted through Thursday, Feb. 17.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

I-39

Quote from: mvak36 on January 14, 2022, 08:57:55 AM
https://www.modot.org/node/24975

MoDOT Plans Virtual Public Hearing to Discuss Route 67 (Future I-57) in Butler County
MoDOT Accepts Public Input on Planned Improvements

SIKESTON–The Missouri Department of Transportation will hold a virtual public hearing to discuss a proposed project to upgrade U.S. Route 67 in Butler County to four lanes in preparation for Future I-57. 

The virtual public hearing will be held Thursday, Feb. 3 from 4 to 6 p.m., with formal presentations beginning at 4 and 5 p.m. The same presentation will be delivered at both 4 and 5 p.m. to provide attendees with multiple opportunities to join the discussion. Throughout the online hearing, there will opportunities for attendees to ask questions or share comments. Attendees can join the virtual public hearing on Feb. 3 by visiting www.modot.org/futureI57.

The proposed project includes upgrading Route 67 to interstate standards from the Route 160/158 interchange south of Poplar Bluff, Missouri to the Missouri/Arkansas state line. The entire project limits are broken down into five phases: Phases 1A and 1B, as well as Phases 2-4.

Phases 1A, 1B and 2 are funded. Phase 1A received funding through Governor Mike Parson's cost share program. Phases 1B and 2 were funded thanks to a cost share between MoDOT and the City of Poplar Bluff. This was made possible after Poplar Bluff voters approved a ballot measure led by the Highway 67 Corporation to help fund the expansion in August 2019.

The virtual public hearing will focus on Phase 2, which includes upgrading a two-mile section of Route 67 to four lanes from County Road 338 to County Road 352.

Funding is not yet secured for Phases 3 and 4; schedules will be determined as funding becomes available.

Interested persons may review the project in more detail and share their thoughts at www.modot.org/futureI57. Individuals interested in attending the virtual public hearing may visit www.modot.org/futureI57 to join on Feb. 3.

Comments will be accepted through Thursday, Feb. 17.

Surprised Phase 3 isn't funded yet. But obviously, Phase 4 can't be done until Arkansas figures out a route to the state line.

capt.ron

Having driven the section of US 67 north (northeast) of Walnut Ridge, it looks like they could get by using a little bit of the existing roadway once you get past the Current River which sits just east of Pocahontas. The terrain is relatively flat and stays that way until you reach US 160 in MIssouri. Obviously some of the ROW is too close to the existing roadway for it to be used. Case in point, the state line stores right at the MO/AR border. But once you go north of there, it nothing but farmland on both sides of the highway. Then you approach Neelyville where if you blink your eyes 2 times, you're through it. Also the existing 2 lane in the rural areas outside of Neelyville are signed at 60 mph. And of course, the limit drops to 55 once you reach AR.
The "5 lane" section between Walnut Ridge and Pocahontas can't be used since most of the land on both sides is just as high or even higher than the existing roadway. I bet it will either be signed as either 67B or 367.

Road Hog

When I-57 is completed, it might behoove ARDOT to restore the old US 67 to current AR 367 since it preserved the old parallel US highways at the beginning (61, 64, 65, 67 and 70).

MikieTimT

Quote from: Road Hog on January 14, 2022, 08:40:45 PM
When I-57 is completed, it might behoove ARDOT to restore the old US 67 to current AR 367 since it preserved the old parallel US highways at the beginning (61, 64, 65, 67 and 70).

They've pretty much done just that north and east of Jacksonville up to Walnut Ridge.  South of and within Jacksonville, it was changed to AR-161 back in the 90's down to Prothro Junction on US-70, but it would only take a designation change to AR-367 as that's already the old alignment anyway.  They should continue the designation along the old alignment of US-67 north of Walnut Ridge once they have constructed the new alignment, though.

I-39

Any more news on this as of late?

ilpt4u

Quote from: I-39 on May 16, 2022, 09:46:40 PM
MoDOT has let a contract for improvements in Poplar Bluff, as reported in the MoDOT Contract Letting thread on the Central States board:
Quote from: mvak36 on April 22, 2022, 02:09:00 PMMay 20, 2022 Letting:

Job J9P3663 Route 67 BUTLER County. Grading and pavement from 0.5 mile north of Route 160 to County Road 360, the total length of improvement being 0.98 miles. Looks like this is part of the Future I-57 project
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19531.175

US71

Quote from: I-39 on May 16, 2022, 09:46:40 PM

I'm like Hans Schultz: I hear nothing  :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

edwaleni

According to this, the first letting was planned for March 2022 for Phase 1A with construction to start in April of 2022.

https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/US%2067%20Future%20I57%20Handout_August%202021.pdf

The funding for up to Phase 2 is secured (Poplar Bluff to Harviell Ditch)

Phase 3 and Phase 4 don't have dates yet probably because they are still aligning funding.

Phase 4 requires a MOU with ARDOT on where the roads will meet.

As for ARDOT, they are still processing the alignment feedback north of Walnut Ridge.

mvak36

Quote from: edwaleni on May 17, 2022, 07:29:28 AM
According to this, the first letting was planned for March 2022 for Phase 1A with construction to start in April of 2022.

https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/US%2067%20Future%20I57%20Handout_August%202021.pdf

The funding for up to Phase 2 is secured (Poplar Bluff to Harviell Ditch)

Phase 3 and Phase 4 don't have dates yet probably because they are still aligning funding.

Phase 4 requires a MOU with ARDOT on where the roads will meet.

As for ARDOT, they are still processing the alignment feedback north of Walnut Ridge.

Phase 1B and Phase 2 are scheduled to let in January 2023 according to MODOT's Draft STIP.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

RoadMaster09

After a recent trip on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis...let me say, thank goodness. That stretch desperately needs relief for the number of trucks on it, and widening alone is probably not the answer. I'd still want to see an east-west Interstate between I-40 and I-64 though.

Bobby5280

Obviously other corridors in that region need upgrading to take some of the load off I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis. The I-57 extension will help some. I think upgrades to US-69 in Oklahoma between the Red River and I-44/Big Cabin would re-route some traffic coming from DFW off of I-30.

Regarding the prospect of new East-West Interstate quality corridors in that region, I think US-60 between Springfield, MO and Sikeston, MO has the best chance of getting fully upgraded 100% to Interstate quality. US-412 between Tulsa and Springdale will upgraded to Interstate quality in some form. I don't expect US-412 East of Springdale to get upgraded though.

RoadMaster09

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 05, 2022, 11:54:44 AM
Obviously other corridors in that region need upgrading to take some of the load off I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis. The I-57 extension will help some. I think upgrades to US-69 in Oklahoma between the Red River and I-44/Big Cabin would re-route some traffic coming from DFW off of I-30.

Regarding the prospect of new East-West Interstate quality corridors in that region, I think US-60 between Springfield, MO and Sikeston, MO has the best chance of getting fully upgraded 100% to Interstate quality. US-412 between Tulsa and Springdale will upgraded to Interstate quality in some form. I don't expect US-412 East of Springdale to get upgraded though.

I agree with US 60 across Missouri. It could connect with upgraded parkways in Kentucky, but a whole new bridge would be needed to connect Paducah to Sikeston as US 60 is a 2-lane conventional highway.

Farther south, combined with I-69 across Arkansas, US 82 would add another east-west route if that is upgraded across eastern Arkansas, Mississippi and parts of Alabama. That may make some decide to go south on 55, 59 or 65 and across between 20 and 40.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 05, 2022, 11:54:44 AM

US 412 needs 4 laned in some shape or form to Harrison muy pronto. It is just getting busier and busier. It is getting borderline nightmarish in the summers on weekends.

Bobby5280

I would expect US-412 in Northern Arkansas to get widened to configurations like an undivided 4-lane highway or a 4-lane plus center turn lane. Converting it to limited access is going to be too tall an order in various locations with a good amount of development. It might be possible to squeeze in some limited access interchanges at important highway intersections. Otherwise I don't think it can get much better than 4-lane divided with at-grade intersections and driveways.

US-82 in Southern Arkansas would be physically easier to upgrade than US-412 in Northern Arkansas. But there is a bigger question of actual need and its relation to limited funding. I-69 is already one big mouth to feed in that part of the state. And then there's also I-49 on the Southwest side of the state.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.