Long Island Speed Limits

Started by Mike2357, August 14, 2021, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 17, 2021, 05:21:01 PM
Hmm, my dad ... says there usually is a state trooper hiding in the bushes where it is 4 lanes and straight.

Of course they would be hiding where it's actually most safe to speed.  They wouldn't, of course, patrol where it's least safe to speed.  Because speeding tickets aren't really about safety at all.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mike2357

Exactly, if they cared about safety they would patrol the lower quality roads and sections of roads where even going the speed limit could be dangerous, but nope, hide on wide open straight aways where 80+ mph is more than reasonable, which almost causes accidents btw when everyone slams on their breaks at the last second after spotting them. People will say "Oh ya see that's why speeding is dangerous" LOL literally the enforcement of speeding causes some of the danger, nice circular reasoning beaurocrats!
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

vdeane

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 17, 2021, 03:12:32 PM
As for "operating speeds"... I find it hard to believe they're not in the 70+ mph range already. So that argument dies.
Sounds like the "if we raise the speed limit, everyone will go even faster" fallacy.

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 17, 2021, 03:37:09 PM
Germany, has 3x fewer car accidents per capita as the United States, while having no speed limits on more than half of all its Autobahns. NY acts like driving over 60 mph is some death defying stunt or dangerous dare LOL. Well to be fair, I-95 in CT doesn't go up to 65 mph until east of New Haven anyway . Even Sunrise HWY all you would have to do is make it gradually drop on the western side as you approach the traffic signals, still would leave a total of 90 miles of highway (figure 45 each side) with a higher speed limit. What's even more idiotic is how the state legislature gets to determine these speeds and not the NYSDOT, and you can guess what type of cars those 70 yo legislators have...
The state legislature hasn't micro-managed 65 zones for close to two decades now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mike2357

That is indeed a fallacy. The only reason people go 10-20 over the speed limits in the first place is because they are so unreasonably low to begin with. If they were reasonable, people wouldn't even go 5 over because the extra 5 mph wouldn't be worth the ticket. Even on 80 mph roads most people drive in the 70s. Another example of circular reasoning...
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on August 17, 2021, 05:28:25 PM
Hmm, my dad ... says there usually is a state trooper hiding in the bushes where it is 4 lanes and straight.

Of course they would be hiding where it's actually most safe to speed.  They wouldn't, of course, patrol where it's least safe to speed.  Because speeding tickets aren't really about safety at all.
Yup. Artificially low limits on high quality roadways engineered for much higher speeds, safely, combined with heavy enforcement. Shouldn't even be legal, but that's a pipe dream.

Enforce areas with high accidents, low quality roadways, etc. But it seems thats never where the police are, and is exactly where the dangerous driving mostly is happening.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: mariethefoxy on August 17, 2021, 05:09:40 PM
The truth is despite the speed limit, most people are doing 70 anyway and even so the cops dont really patrol much at least on the northern parkway segment I drive on to work

Hmm, my dad drives a segment of the northern state on his commute and he says there usually is a state trooper hiding in the bushes where it is 4 lanes and straight. Most cops I see are hiding behind overpasses on 495. Used to see 10-12 cops everytime I drive on the L.I.E, but now barely see any. God Bless the Waze App

the two big speed traps Ive noticed on the Northern State are, between Exit 31A and Exit 33, theres almost always a statie there somewhere, often times theyre hiding somewhere around the post avenue overpass, or between the offramp and onramp to and from wantagh parkway. The other big trap location is the ending part after the Sunken Meadow Parkway exit to 454, theres a wide median and lots of places for them to hide and people wind up getting tempted to speed up.

Other spots Ive seen them is by Exit 37A, the overpass was built with later expansion in mind and thusly they like to hide in that wide shoulder underneath 495. Another spot they sometimes are at is between Exit 39 and 40, those areas where theres a wide median between the two sides.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.