News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AARoads Topics in 1989

Started by Henry, November 20, 2017, 09:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Since we're doing threads for years gone by and those straight ahead, I thought I'd give this a try.

Among the topics we would've discussed back in '89:

"I-40 Nearing Completion in Eastern NC"
"IL 5 is Now I-88"
"Minivans: The Next Big Thing?"
"Hurricane Hugo Devastates Carolina Coast"
"Earthquake Interrupts A's-Giants World Series"

Anything else you'd like to add to this?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

I thought these were getting locked down aside from the 2064, 1964, and 1864 threads?  Welling speaking of those earthquakes too bad about the damage to US 101 and CA 480 in San Francisco.

jeffandnicole

Anything else you'd like to add to this?

"Why did the other threads get locked down?  Oh Wait, let me start one: What would we have talked about on January 27, 1962 at 4:18pm?"

jp the roadgeek

The CT 9 missing link from East Berlin to Cromwell is finally open!!

What do you think of the new reflective button copy BGS's ConnDOT has started to use?

Big Dig Project thread

When will the 3rd Boston Harbor tunnel be complete?

The I-84/I-91 Interchange Thread

Will they ever fix the I-91/I-95 one lane connection?

Tolls are officially gone in CT!!

Will RI 195 ever be completed?

The Mass Pike widening project thread
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bob7374

Others in Mass.:
"US 1 to be removed from Boston Parkways"
"MA 128 to be truncated to I-95 exit in Canton"

Max Rockatansky

Anyone driven the Overseas Highway since it was moved off the rail bridges?

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on November 20, 2017, 11:42:10 AM
Others in Mass.:
"US 1 to be removed from Boston Parkways"
"MA 128 to be truncated to I-95 exit in Canton"
Beat me to it Bob.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vdeane

Perhaps it's time to create an "AARoads Topics in..." subforum?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Desert Man

Big topics in 1989:
* Eastern European travelers now can easily drive to the western side of the continent.

* The end of an era: are Yuppies about to die out? Post-1987 crash recession is here (to stay?)

* The new great invention of this "Information SuperHighway" (wait a minute, if there's an internet in 1989, AAroads.com would already be here).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

formulanone

Sticky: Roads Affected by Loma Prieta Earthquake

Clinching I-95 in Florida (without paying a toll)

Interstate 565 Progress

Non-US 98 black-and-white shields found in Florida

Favorite bulletin board: cork or electronic?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Desert Man on November 20, 2017, 04:01:10 PM
(wait a minute, if there's an internet in 1989, AAroads.com would already be here).

The Internet existed (including Usenet), but there were no websites until a few years later.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CNGL-Leudimin

As I've said, I thought of creating a thread about "AARoads threads thru the years", limited only to major happenings.

BREAKING NEWS: Hundreds of East Germans are gathering at the checkpoints of the Berlin Wall following the East German announcement of easing the crossing of the inter-German border. This might be the start of a new era.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Thread started by me on June 2, 1989, discussing how I got my driver's license on May 31, then the very next day put my hand through a window, needed 35 stitches, and would not be able to drive for a month.  :angry:  (This would have been a difficult thread to create since my left hand was in a cast and I would have had to type one-handed.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on November 20, 2017, 04:02:54 PM
Quote from: Desert Man on November 20, 2017, 04:01:10 PM
(wait a minute, if there's an internet in 1989, AAroads.com would already be here).

The Internet existed (including Usenet), but there were no websites until a few years later.

AARoads was a zine.

It was crafted during after-hours inside the local high school's graphic department. The film was developed in-house, the negatives placed on halftone process camera, and then laid out onto the silver roller plates for additional processing. The rollers were inked, the paper loaded, the offset printers were switched on, and the pages printed out. From there, it was hand-collated, folded, stapled together, and passed out in between classes. Discussions were held on weekdays at lunchroom Table 66, except when custodians had to roll them away before an assembly.

There were only eight issues per year, though.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 12, 2017, 04:32:26 PM
This is only 11 years out from the 1964 thread. Are we going to do 1986, 1997, and 2008 next?

The answer is no.

There's a reason the others are locked in the 'General' area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.