News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on December 23, 2023, 01:29:42 AMNo one has ever corrected me on it, or ever cared. Most normal people don't care, period.

It's mostly a meme, but also part of the strong resistance locally to stave off Californication. Using their incorrect grammar is a sign of losing our local identity.

Quote from: jakeroot on December 23, 2023, 01:29:42 AM
I've never understood why this is. I don't like entering a building soaking wet. Last I checked, a good umbrella will keep your torso and upper legs mostly dry, where rain jackets only keep your torso dry (if they work as advertised), whereas your face, legs, and shoes will all get soaked, or at least wet. No thanks.

Umbrellas are strongly preferred here in Okinawa year round, either to prevent you from getting wet (both from the rain, and resulting sweat), or from getting sunburned; I'm surprised the typical Pacific Northwest vampires haven't yet figured out that latter use for them yet.

I don't like being poked by umbrellas when walking on a crowded sidewalk. They also don't work well in the wind and create flying hazards in the worst case scenario. For our misty, constant rain, a good hood on a jacket works just fine.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on December 23, 2023, 02:01:25 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 23, 2023, 01:29:42 AMNo one has ever corrected me on it, or ever cared. Most normal people don't care, period.

It's mostly a meme, but also part of the strong resistance locally to stave off Californication. Using their incorrect grammar is a sign of losing our local identity.

It's almost completely a meme, I've never encountered real-life resistance to the term.

Our road terminology is the same as the other 49 states (and northern half of California), I don't think we're at risk of losing any identity.

Quote from: Bruce on December 23, 2023, 02:01:25 AM
I don't like being poked by umbrellas when walking on a crowded sidewalk. They also don't work well in the wind and create flying hazards in the worst case scenario. For our misty, constant rain, a good hood on a jacket works just fine.

Lol, don't you dare tell me about "crowded sidewalks", my suburban neighborhood in Japan is more dense than 99% of anywhere in the Pacific Northwest and I've never seen it busy enough for people to be bumping into each other any other time besides leaving a major event, and that describes very nearly zero percent of my walking.

The wind concern is legit, but I don't remember wind being a major issue in the Northwest on average days.

I honestly never wear hooded jackets in Seattle, the rain is light enough that a pullover does the job just fine, or a sweatshirt (which I rarely pull up the hood on), I just accept the small dampness. Actual rain, where a rain jacket is necessary, I almost always find them to be inadequate at keeping anything but my upper half dry.

Bruce

I'm sure American umbrella users are much less mindful of other people than Japanese umbrella users. And the three-abreast walking style endemic to Amazonland certainly does create unnecessary sidewalk congestion.

Rothman

I've never seen a flying umbrella.

Kind of want to walk around the PNW poking people with an umbrella now, though.  I've never noticed sidewalks being narrower there, though, so kind of odd they haven't figured umbrellas out. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

compdude787

I think our reluctance to use umbrellas in the PNW stems from the fact that our rain is more like mist, where if you go outside while it's raining, you're less likely to get completely soaked if you're not using an umbrella, and a raincoat is generally just fine.

Rothman

Quote from: compdude787 on January 06, 2024, 02:01:27 PM
I think our reluctance to use umbrellas in the PNW stems from the fact that our rain is more like mist, where if you go outside while it's raining, you're less likely to get completely soaked if you're not using an umbrella, and a raincoat is generally just fine.
Bringing a golf umbrella to the PNW next time I go.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on January 06, 2024, 02:59:58 PM

You'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on January 06, 2024, 09:37:20 PM

You'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Well, yeah.  That's the point, silly man.

jakeroot

Bruce

Bruce

Everett is about to become even more fun: SR 529 northbound will close for 4 months of bridge repairs, and both directions will close on weekends. I-5 is already a huge mess because of the HOV lane expansion that didn't account for consistent shoulder widths, so many collisions just never get cleared to the shoulder.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/highway-529-to-close-for-months-between-everett-marysville/

Amaury

Interstate 82 eastbound is closed at Exit 44 (Wapato) until further notice due to erosion!

https://www.facebook.com/WSDOT/posts/pfbid0QTdJSBRuddyuvXZySMkhA5v265G41DabYx5zEDwQYCSP1f6Y8R3VYphwxCXsdfUBl

Quote from: WSDOTEastbound I-82 is closed at milepost 44 due to erosion caused by embankment failure. Traffic is being detoured at Exit 44 to the Yakima Valley Highway. Detour is also available through Wapato to Hwy 97. The cause is under investigation, so that a plan for repair can be made. Eastbound I-82 will remain closed until further notice.

The erosion goes under the eastbound lanes of I-82 located north of Zillah estimated in size at 10 feet wide by 4 feet deep and 40 feet long. The erosion goes under the eastbound lanes of I-82 by several feet.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

pderocco

The river must have flooded badly. But I don't see anything in that area that could be called an "embankment".

stevashe

Quote from: pderocco on February 13, 2024, 08:43:25 PM
The river must have flooded badly. But I don't see anything in that area that could be called an "embankment".

I'm guessing it would be here, since that's where the main river channel gets closest to I-82.

Amaury

Both directions now closed!

https://www.nbcrightnow.com/news/i-82-now-closed-in-both-directions-near-wapato-due-to-embankment-failure-damaged-culvert/article_597424e4-ccda-11ee-938d-f3661db14f43.html

Quote from: NBC Right NowBoth directions of I-82 near Wapato are now closed due to an embankment failure near the eastbound lanes.

The Washington State Department of Transportation closed both lanes as of 6:30 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 16 to ensure the safety of travelers.

Initially only the eastbound lanes were closed when the failure was found on Monday, Feb. 12, however, WSDOT crews inspected the area and discovered damage to an irrigation culvert running under the road.

According to a WSDOT press release on the situation, the culvert, operated by the Roza Irrigation District, has partially collapsed due to age and corrosion.

The culvert under the eastbound lanes was further damaged during excavation work on Feb. 15, which impacted the shoulder and the left lane of the westbound lanes, according to WSDOT.

Detour routes will be posted for both direction on I-82 throughout the closure.

I-82 Detours:

Eastbound traffic will detour off I-82 at exit 37A onto US 97. Drivers will then use McDonald Rd. to SR 22 before getting back onto I-82.
Westbound traffic will detour off I-82 at exit 50 onto Buena Rd. and then detour via Yakima Valley Highway and Donald Wapato Rd. to return to I-82.

There is currently no estimated timetable for when the repairs will be completed and I-82 will be reopened. According to today's press release, the WSDOT is working with the Roza Irrigation District on a replacement solution to provide irrigation while repairs are made.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Bruce

Pasco has closed the Lewis Street underpass, which crossed under the BNSF tracks near the Amtrak station. A new overpass just to the north is being constructed and should open this year.

Bruce

A great piece of reporting from The Times on the state's culvert replacement program, which is mandated by a federal court order and is going to cost billions to make a 2030 deadline: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/times-watchdog/removing-wa-salmon-barriers-surges-to-1m-a-day-but-results-are-murky/

Amaury

Drove on the new freeway portion of US Route 12 in Walla Walla County yesterday, heading eastbound. I loved it.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amaury on March 13, 2024, 07:10:55 PM
Drove on the new freeway portion of US Route 12 in Walla Walla County yesterday, heading eastbound. I loved it.

I'd forgotten this was even a project. Seriously good work by WSDOT. And they posted it at 70; a true no-BS brand-new rural freeway. Great work.

It's all on Google Street View and satellite view on Google Earth as well, for those that want to check it out.

The interchanges are interesting, they look straight out of the 70s, especially that unusual diamond at Lower Dry Creek Road. But I mean that in a good way, it's a very "standard" looking freeway, nothing bizarre or "innovative" to try and save money or something. Just a straight-up standard rural freeway with a proper median and diamond interchanges. Bravo, WSDOT.

pderocco

Seems a little odd that the road was scrunched together with no median over the Touchet River, instead of building two two-lane bridges.

jakeroot

Quote from: pderocco on March 21, 2024, 08:25:29 PM
Seems a little odd that the road was scrunched together with no median over the Touchet River, instead of building two two-lane bridges.

I noticed that too. Especially odd since the other over-crossings are separate two-lane bridges (Dry Creek and Touchet interchange).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.